FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:08 pm

Rits'a price increases....

<<

dyeraudio

TFM-75

Post Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:25 pm

Rits'a price increases....

So do I have this right? Before Dec. 31 I was quoted a flat rate of $195 to fix my TFM-45...needs new caps and a gain pot....now after going on the site the fee is $350 !!!!! Holy crap......Was there some new service added to the flat rate? The flat rate PLUS the bench fee is alsmost as much as a totally different TFM-45....although then that one would probably need the same treatment soon.....It is worth it?...as much as it might be total?.....an amp similar in power would cost MUCH more than the repair fees....and having it fixed by Rita OR Bob is IS well worth it.......any thoughts or opinions? Who has their stuff back already and what are your observations?
CARVER CT-29V, CARVER TFM-45 (Rita-furbished) ,CARVER SD/A 490t, LINN Keilidh speakers, PS Audio I/C's, PS Audio Statement & Plus Speaker Cables, APC Line-R 600 conditioner, Vibra-Cones
<<

nooshinjohn

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:55 pm

Re: Rits'a price increases....

My Sunfire got there just before the price increase \:D/ ... I look at it this way, so long as Bob Carver is coming by a couple days a week and is involved hands on with repairs that are beyond the scope of the rest of the crew my answer is yes, worth every dime and then some. Rita's skill is unequalled when it comes to things that have the Phase/Carver/Sunfire name attached IMHO. Imagine being able to send your Les Paul to the man himself and have him perform the needed repairs, sign it, and return it to you better than new. How much more enjoyment would that Less Paul bring you, knowing who did that work. While I agree 350.00 is pretty stiff, having repairs and upgrades done by the very folks responsible for it's creation is PRICELESS!
Carver Statement Reference Monoblocks!!!Sunfire Signature TGA 7401, Pioneer SC-37 Surround Receiver, Sunfire Classic Vacuum Tube Preamp with Phono Stage, Magnepan MG-20's(main) Polk Audio RM 7500's(surround) Polk Audio CSi-a6 (center) Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, Pioneer Elite PD-DJ9 SACD/CD Player, Sony BDPs-350 BLUray player, LG 42lg50 1080p HDTV, Klipsch Synergy SUB-10 powered subwoofer.[/size]
<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:46 pm

I also was shocked at the 50% increase in price. I knew the price was going to go up but that IMO is a big jump.
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

ArthurFromCanada

Post Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:01 pm

I doubt Bob himself fixes the amps - he's busy being semi-retired and building custom tube amps that sell for 5 grand.

I just sent my M-1.5t and CT-17 preamp to Rolland @ Hi-Tech Audio. He spent a lot of time discussing my options and going over the refurb in detail. On the other hand, Rita's shop never even bothered to reply to my email. And now Rolland is $50 cheaper than Rita! From everyone I spoke with, Rolland is your man and he also offers great upgrades to your amp, including IEC connector and upgraded binding posts.

Art
<<

nooshinjohn

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:19 pm

I never said Bob Does all the amps, but I do know he is personally involved with mine, and has been for several others as well. I have no doubt about Roland's abilities and know there are many happy folks here that enjoyed his work. That said, I will hang with Rita's Vintage...

Bob says Hi to all by the way 8) ...

John

PS... I am NOT a paid spokesman. 8-[
Carver Statement Reference Monoblocks!!!Sunfire Signature TGA 7401, Pioneer SC-37 Surround Receiver, Sunfire Classic Vacuum Tube Preamp with Phono Stage, Magnepan MG-20's(main) Polk Audio RM 7500's(surround) Polk Audio CSi-a6 (center) Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, Pioneer Elite PD-DJ9 SACD/CD Player, Sony BDPs-350 BLUray player, LG 42lg50 1080p HDTV, Klipsch Synergy SUB-10 powered subwoofer.[/size]
<<

ArthurFromCanada

Post Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:29 pm

Don't worry John, your secret is safe with me... :-k

On another note, I've always wanted to hear some Sunfire gear. Never listened to it in my life. Do you have your mains bi-wired with the the voltage output running your woofers and the current output running your tweeters?

It's really hard to find Sunfire gear in Canada. Bob never did a good job of penetrating the Canadian market with the Sunfire brand (he did a much better job with the Carver brand).

How does it sound?

Art
<<

nooshinjohn

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:54 pm

yes... I do run both outputs from the 600x2 and my old Polks have never sounded sweeter. I can only imagine what they will sound like after the upgrades are done. I will keep a look-out for you if you would like to try a Sunfire. I can find the Stereo 300x2 pretty easily. The 600x2 is a pretty rare bird from my understanding.
<<

ArthurFromCanada

Post Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:16 pm

Awesome! I really want to listen to the 600x2 Grand Signature on my Tannoys!

I just bought my M-1.5t a few months ago and it's going to be fully upgraded and refurbed. I wasn't very impressed with it prior to sending it out, but it was in rough shape as it was used and abused by some DJs that don't have a clue about anything resembling audiophile gear. I am talking about the type of people that think Class D amplification is the cat's meow!
<<

icravcarver

TFM-25

Post Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:57 pm

Yes, I also got sticker shock. Rita called today, and she had my TFM-55 on the bench for over 3 hrs as of this afternoon and was still going on it. She told me it could be up to $350, but I figure it would still cost me that much more and then some to replace the amp with anything comparable in power and quality. Plus, after the going over, it is like having an almost new amp! If I had taken it to a local shop here, which the tech is fairly knowledgeable, it would have been at least $225. To have the people that worked on the stuff from the factory is well worth the extra $$. (It's the ~ $60 bill to get ship it each way that I have a hard time choking down). (BOB & RITA & ROLLAND - someone open up shop on the east coast damn it!!!)
OCCD claims another victim!!

Carver Gear: MAIN SYSTEM: TFM-55; C-16; SD/A-490t; TD-1770; BEDROOM: HR-772
Non Carver Gear: MAIN SYSTEM: Dual CS-530 TT w/Ortofon Super OM10; POLK SDA-1C's; Phillips CDR-775 CD Burner; BSR EQ-300; BEDROOM: T.B.A.

"I may be poor, but I am rich in sound!!"
<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:22 pm

Shipping is a killer on these amps. Though from Pittsburgh I found the best price to ship was Fedex ground. Was $45.
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:39 pm

ArthurFromCanada wrote:......From everyone I spoke with, Rolland is your man and he also offers great upgrades to your amp, including IEC connector and upgraded binding posts.
Art, there was a day that this did not happen. You are welcome. So are the other folks that would like things done to Carver gear.

Thank /mx, not me.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:44 pm

Welcome to the real world folks.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:53 am

It's only money....if you end up with a "perfect" sounding amp...well that is priceless and life IS short! And as G. Washington wrote about his bills for surveying: 10 cents for the nails; $300 for figuring out where to pound them! When it comes to fixing a broken vintage amp, I wouldn't know what to replace (i.e., where to pound the nails). So you pay to have someone do this work who does it for a living (and has the NAILS!). Also nice to even have this option (someone to "magically heal" our amps if/when they get "sick"!).
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: TLM-3600 CDP to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.
<<

Sean

Post Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:32 pm

$350 is what I paid to get my 806-x working again through them. It was the shipping that really killed me. I got it there before X-Mas, but she said it needed too much work to qualify for the $195 price. Anyways, I have to say, it is nice to have that 806x working sweet now - and with Bob's signature in gold pen on the front. I figure I could not have found a better amp for the $700 that it cost buying it used and repairing it.
------------
My gear:
HT and music at home:
Amps: Carver 806x (fronts), Carver TFM 15cb (rear)
Pre-amp: JBL Professional (JBL badged Lexicon MC-6)
Speakers: B&W 805 Matrix (fronts), B&W 601 (rear)
Sub: Epik Vanquish
Music at the office:
Amp: Sherwood S5000 II tube integrated
Speakers: B&W 620
<<

nadude98

Post Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:33 pm

I don't want to sound ungrateful [i]but[i] I just got my amp back from Rita's and I am a trifle disappointed. Like someone else that posted most of my emails were not answered, I had to call to find out if my amp was done after three weeks. All that was done was one cap was replaced on one channel, a couple of resistors and some cold solder joints were repaired. I thought that my amp would get a thorough going over and at least the electrolytic caps would be replaced. On the upside! The amp sounds great and it is now signed by Mr Carver! He told me to play it loud, so I am!
Were my expectations a little high??? Are the rest of the electrolytic caps going to be a problem in the reasonably near future? I had also emailed a question about a pair of the output transistors that seemed to be incorrect according to the schematic but never got an answer.... Well anyway I am playing to play it loud and proud, there is a one year warranty!
Next

Return to CARVER Equipment Repair/Help Forum