FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:15 am

Rits'a price increases....

<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:36 am

Re: Rits'a price increases....

I have heard these same concerns from others...
I know Rolland replaces ALL needed electrolytic caps, not just the ones that have already gone bad.

I'd make a phone call and get some answers
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:03 am

Toy Maker wrote:I have heard these same concerns from others...
Unfortunately, so have I James. Not a very good start for reputation and not good at all for word of mouth customers, if you ask me.

*Disappointed*
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:20 am

That's why I do it myself. If I sent it to Rita or Rolland, I would specify that I want ALL electrolytic caps replaced. The stock ones that Carver used pretty much all wear out at the same time if it's age related (sit idle, electrolyte dries up). And, in use, they were probably all rated at 1000 hours (80ºC) at ripple, and Carver didn't use caps any bigger than necessary.

I use 105ºC caps of at least 3000 hours (more hours if I can get them) in refurbishments. It's pretty disappointing in that these caps are not a major expense compared to the big ones they replace in the power supply, shipping, etc. With a big price increase like they went through, you'd think they'd add some value.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

m1.5tman

M-400t CUBE

Post Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:07 pm

I consider it my fault for assuming that a flat rate repair fee meant that my amp would be rebuilt to like "new" condition. I spoke with Rita on the phone. She told me what was repaired (don't remember off the top of my head). It was burned in for five days and then signed and shipped off. It looks beautiful, sounds great, and if it does happen to need a complete rebuild later on down the road, I'll know what to ask for. As for right now, I am satisfied with the service I received from Rita's.
M1.5t; TFM-55; C-1; TX-11a; TX-2; C-9; Pioneer A-717 integrated amp; HPM-100's
<<

Rolland

Post Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:11 pm

Rolland uses all brand new capacitprs but also uses all oem semiconductors. And the modifications that are performed with 1% tolerance parts. The quality of our service is the best available.
m1.5tman wrote:I consider it my fault for assuming that a flat rate repair fee meant that my amp would be rebuilt to like "new" condition. I spoke with Rita on the phone. She told me what was repaired (don't remember off the top of my head). It was burned in for five days and then signed and shipped off. It looks beautiful, sounds great, and if it does happen to need a complete rebuild later on down the road, I'll know what to ask for. As for right now, I am satisfied with the service I received from Rita's.
Thanks for all the support, it's greatly appreciated, and it's a privilege to work on such great equipment. If I don't reply to your questions, you are not being ignored, I do not frequent the forum very often, due to our huge work load.

Carver Audio Repair Center / Hi-Tech Audio Ltd. 2125 SW 19th St. Gresham Oregon 97080 Voice (503)618-7605 Fax (503)674-8593 http://www.carveraudiorepair.com
<<

Eddie

Eddie The Knife

Post Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:44 pm

That is good to know! What does Rolland fix out of the Phase,Sunfire,Carver line up? Or should ask what he can't fix in the line up?
Good judgment comes from experience,but experience usually comes from bad judgment.

The best thing is to learn from others that have mastered the one thing you need to learn!

I would tell you to go to hell but I already work there and I don't want to see your ugly face every day!
<<

m1.5tman

M-400t CUBE

Post Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:47 am

Rolland wrote:Rolland uses all brand new capacitprs but also uses all oem semiconductors. And the modifications that are performed with 1% tolerance parts. The quality of our service is the best available.
m1.5tman wrote:I consider it my fault for assuming that a flat rate repair fee meant that my amp would be rebuilt to like "new" condition. I spoke with Rita on the phone. She told me what was repaired (don't remember off the top of my head). It was burned in for five days and then signed and shipped off. It looks beautiful, sounds great, and if it does happen to need a complete rebuild later on down the road, I'll know what to ask for. As for right now, I am satisfied with the service I received from Rita's.

Hi Rolland, I wasn't talking about the m1.5t that you refurbed for me. I was speaking of the tfm-55 that I just had done. I apologize if you thought I was referring to you.
M1.5t; TFM-55; C-1; TX-11a; TX-2; C-9; Pioneer A-717 integrated amp; HPM-100's
<<

edriz

M-400t CUBE

Post Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:33 am

I got a call from Rita on Jan 29 that my M-400a was finished. They wouldn't be able to ship it for a few days because the person doing the shipping was out. I called them on Monday Feb 2 and gave her all my payment info but still nobody in shipping.

Saturday Feb 6 I get a call again from a guy that needed that 3 digit number on the back of the card so I gave him that number. Now the card I used was a debit card. This way I know exactly when the money is accessed so I know approximently when the amp may be shipped. He said it may get shipped Saturday or Maonday Feb.6. Well here it it Tuesday and still no tracking number and I just cheked my bank and no payment has been taken. Makes me wonder what the hold up is. I'd kind of like to get the amp on it's way home so I can send the C-1 Pre Amp to them.

From what I'm hearing here, they need to get a bit more organized in there customer service department? I see where one poster says they havent answered his emails. I have emailed Lisa quite often and I can say she has answered every email of mine and usually withing 24-48 hours. Is he using the right email address? She has been very good with me. My only complaint is in their shipping. Talking with Rita a few times and she has always been very nice and informative,helpful. Told me exactly was was done and what was needed. I was even amazed that the amp was performing as good as it did when I shipped it after she told me evverything she did to it. I'm just so anxious to get it back and I even made myself a little promise that I wasn't going to hook it up until my C-1 Pre amp is finished with it's restor and back home so I can hook them both together at the same time just as I did in 1981 when I bought them brand new. I wonder if I'm going to be able to keep that promise!!!
Currently In Use
Current Rack; Carver M-4.0t Power Amp, Carver C-4000t Pre Amp,Empire 598III Turntable, Denon DL-103R cart/stylus,Pioneer RT-909 Reel To Reel,Nakamichi Dragon cassette deck,DBX Pro Series 231 Dual Channel 31 band EQ,Pioneer PDR-555RW CD,DBX-3bx,Berwun Research 7000A TNE,DBX-224x DS TypeII NR, Klipsch Lascalas "Loud,Proud,Clean & Mean"
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:10 am

edriz wrote: I'm just so anxious to get it back and I even made myself a little promise that I wasn't going to hook it up until my C-1 Pre amp is finished with it's restor and back home so I can hook them both together at the same time just as I did in 1981 when I bought them brand new. I wonder if I'm going to be able to keep that promise!!!

That's a pretty good promise to yourself, let me know how that works out??!!! :lol:
<<

edriz

M-400t CUBE

Post Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:38 am

Jag_97470 wrote:
edriz wrote: I'm just so anxious to get it back and I even made myself a little promise that I wasn't going to hook it up until my C-1 Pre amp is finished with it's restor and back home so I can hook them both together at the same time just as I did in 1981 when I bought them brand new. I wonder if I'm going to be able to keep that promise!!!

That's a pretty good promise to yourself, let me know how that works out??!!! :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Well, I called and talked to one of the guys today and the M-400a has shipped. He gave me the tracking number. I got to tell you, they are a trusting bunch. They still haven't charged my account yet!! I was told the person doing that hasn't been in for a few days but they'll get caught up. My main concern was getting the M-400a on it's way home so I can ship my C-1. Thats going out today. I wonder though if I shouldn't send the C-1 UPS instead of the Post Office? We don't have any local UPS round here. I sent the M-400a through the Post Office and by Priority and that cost me $42.00 with $300 insurance. It would have been $21 through normal post but could have taken up to 4 weeks delivery time. I wasn't going to have MY amp on the back of some truck for up to 4 weeks. Fuck that!!

Maybe I'll wait a day and call UPS, they will come here and pick up. Hhhmmmm, I'll call UPS now. If they are higher in cost I can still get the C-1 to the Post Office today. Hell of an idea.

I do hope I can hold off on not using the 400a. This M-400 I'm now using is getting on my nerves though. I can't crank this bitch. Every time I do it shuts down. I know something is terrible wrong with it. It has a buzzin goin on and is audible through the speakers also. It sounds great and I can get it kicking somewhat loud, maybe loud enough for some but not for me. It peaks out real easy and the protector kicks in, shuts down at a substantially lower lever then my 400a. Actually, I don't think I ever had the 400a shut down. I never had the LEDs on the 400a past the mid level. The 400 on the other hand bang to the top very easy and very quickly.

Oh well, thats # 3 to go visit Rita's. They are already expecting it. \:D/ I'm really going to try and not use the 400a. I didn't even want to take it out of the box but I thought I could at least do that. I have to at the very least look at and read Bobs message and signature don't I? =P~ :lol:
Currently In Use
Current Rack; Carver M-4.0t Power Amp, Carver C-4000t Pre Amp,Empire 598III Turntable, Denon DL-103R cart/stylus,Pioneer RT-909 Reel To Reel,Nakamichi Dragon cassette deck,DBX Pro Series 231 Dual Channel 31 band EQ,Pioneer PDR-555RW CD,DBX-3bx,Berwun Research 7000A TNE,DBX-224x DS TypeII NR, Klipsch Lascalas "Loud,Proud,Clean & Mean"
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:56 am

I DO NOT recommend UPS. They break stuff all the time then give you shit when you file a claim.

Here's what they did to the last thing I shipped with them:

http://www.carveraudio.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2855&hilit=ups
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

edriz

M-400t CUBE

Post Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:07 am

TNRabbit wrote:I DO NOT recommend UPS. They break stuff all the time then give you shit when you file a claim.

Here's what they did to the last thing I shipped with them:

http://www.carveraudio.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2855&hilit=ups

Yeah but Rabbit...That link led me to a Post that was dated April 2007. Maybe UPS got a little better in their handling in the last 3 years? :lol:
I've got a lot of gear delivered in the last year and nothing has been hurt or broke. I guess it's all just a crap shoot aint it. No matter what you ship with who your trusting some person handling a piece of something. You never know what that persons attitude is going to be. He/she might have just had an argument with their spouse/boss. Could just be pissed of for some reason and take it out on your package, You never know. Hell, that could happen at the Post Office just as well as it could at UPS or Fed Ex.

I don't know, I like shipping t the Post Office but damn, it cost me $42 for amp, could you imagine what the pre amp is gonna be? Biugger box, more weight. I bet $55-60 and Rita's ships back UPS too. Maybe I'll stick with the PO
Currently In Use
<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:25 am

UPS has not gotten any better. They suck IMO. I only ship via Fedex.
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:28 pm

I 3rd that: UPS sucks when it comes to "caring" about what they ship (obviously from the kind of damage you see when your prized electronic's arrives with the heavy metal FRAMES bent, stuff pushed in that HAS to involve very large inertia/impact forces that can ONLY come from having THROWN around and/or DROPPED from very high heights your package). I have little idea if other shippers (USPS or Fedex, e.g.) are any better, but they could not possibly be any worse and still have ANY customers. Eat shit and DIE, UPS goons! Try treating packages as if there was some "fragile" thing of value inside! Afterall, why would someone ship it otherwise??
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: TLM-3600 CDP to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:33 pm

I don't know, I like shipping t the Post Office but damn, it cost me $42 for amp, could you imagine what the pre amp is gonna be? Biugger box, more weight. I bet $55-60 and Rita's ships back UPS too. Maybe I'll stick with the PO

Quit your bitching. I've paid $150.00 to ship an amp 3 states over.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
PreviousNext

Return to CARVER Equipment Repair/Help Forum