It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:44 pm

Rits'a price increases....

<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:09 pm

Re: Rits'a price increases....

For the bigger stuff, I always find FedEx is the cheapest.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:57 pm

Just purchased a TFM-45 for my son's birthday in May. Arrived by Fed Ex in very good shape from out of state a week or so ago. Today sent it to Rolland for a chasis refresh (all new upgraded caps) and updates regarding service bulletins. Want it to be perfect for his birthday to drive his PSB Stratus Gold i's. Hooked up to his Golds when he was not home and it sounded wonderful already. I figured with the age of the TFM-45, it was time. Strongly considered Rita's so I could have the man's signature on it. When I compared the two services vs price, in my opinion, Rolland offered the better deal. Having said that, I am just glad all of us have a choice between two fine shops. Others will prefer Rita's.

Anyway, there was only a $1.00 difference between Fed Ex and UPS from Florida to Oregon. The bad news is it cost me $61.55 with the insurance. Sent Fed Ex, have always had good luck, but I am still suffering from sticker shock. In addition, I was told UPS won't honor any damage claim unless you pay them to pack it. [-o<
<<

BillD

Post Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:33 pm

FedEx wants to look inside if you insure over a certain amount. What I do is leave the outer box undone when I take it in and let them look at the inner box covered in bubble wrap, peanuts or whatever else I used to shield the inner from the outer box. Then, they tape it up (saves me that step).

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:29 pm

I was told UPS won't honor any damage claim unless you pay them to pack it.

That's simply not true.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

TNRabbit

Post Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:04 pm

F1nut wrote:
I was told UPS won't honor any damage claim unless you pay them to pack it.

That's simply not true.

Although, it's a HELLUVA lot easier on you if they happened to have packed it, believe me!
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:20 pm

Quote: I was told UPS won't honor any damage claim unless you pay them to pack it.

F1,

I was told that today by the Pack and Post or Pack and Ship who represents both UPS and Fed Ex. In addition, I was also told that another time when I purchased another amp and had it shipped. Since you have info to the contrary, I will call an official UPS storefront and see if I was misinformed. #-o

Don

PS Thanks for the heads up on the threaded inserts. Installed them today and leveling feet are staying put for life now
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:55 pm

You are either being mislead or not understanding exactly what they are telling you. Here's the deal, if the UPS store packs it, it is covered no questions asked, no hassle. If you pack it, insure it and it gets damaged, it's still covered, but they make you jump thru hoops to get the situation resolved. They have a habit of automatically denying the claim at first. They even automatically deny a claim although an item was packed in the original factory box(es). It is then up to you to fight them. I always take pictures as I'm packing, at the end of packing and of the sealed double box. When I pack an item, it will withstand a bomb blast. So, as long as you can show them proof that the item was packed properly, you will get the situation resolved in your favor.

The problem I have with them packing something like a heavy amp is that all they use is bubble wrap and that material will absolutely not stop a heavy amp from getting damaged. I've seen it happen way too many times. The boxes they use are single wall and they will not double box. Ummm...no thanks, that's almost a guarantee that it will get damaged.

Bottom line, pack it like your very life depended on it and as hard as they will try, it will not get damaged. After all, that should be what one really wants.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

edriz

M-400t CUBE

Post Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:03 am

F1nut wrote:
I don't know, I like shipping t the Post Office but damn, it cost me $42 for amp, could you imagine what the pre amp is gonna be? Biugger box, more weight. I bet $55-60 and Rita's ships back UPS too. Maybe I'll stick with the PO

Quit your bitching. I've paid $150.00 to ship an amp 3 states over.

And what were you shippin? I'm talkin an M-400a. Ya know, 8 lbs. Plus I have 3 items I'm shipping back and forth, NOT one, so by the time I'm finished I'll have over $300 maybe more in shipping alone. Oh, and I aint bitchin, just looking for a cheaper way. After all, this aint the "Bank Of Rizzo".

And I've also paid alot to ship a receiver. Cost me $140 to ship my Pioneer SX-1980 receiver from California to Me here in NY inside of a heavy Crate completely lined in 3" foam specifically made for the 1980. The crate was made of 1/2 thick fiberglass. Shipped Air Express Fed Ex by a friend who works for and put it on the plane personally for me. If you paid $150 to ship an amp 3 states over, I think you may have paid too much. The 1980 alone weighs in at 80 lbs and the crate was another 75lbs. Just saying!!
Currently In Use
Current Rack; Carver M-4.0t Power Amp, Carver C-4000t Pre Amp,Empire 598III Turntable, Denon DL-103R cart/stylus,Pioneer RT-909 Reel To Reel,Nakamichi Dragon cassette deck,DBX Pro Series 231 Dual Channel 31 band EQ,Pioneer PDR-555RW CD,DBX-3bx,Berwun Research 7000A TNE,DBX-224x DS TypeII NR, Klipsch Lascalas "Loud,Proud,Clean & Mean"
<<

TNRabbit

Post Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:26 am

The cheapest way I know to ship items, ESPECIALLY heavy or bulky items, is via Greyhound bus. They load them up underneath. The only drawback is the one you ship them to has to pick it up at the bus station.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:41 am

Don't mean to hi-jack thread, but regarding UPS shipping and insurance guarantee, just got off the phone with my neighbor who owns a UPS store franchise. The policy is as follows:
1. UPS can deny a claim under what they call "not packed properly" even if you pay the UPS franchise to pack the item. However, if a franchise store has a high packing failure claim rate, then they have to go back for "packing traning" at a cost of $5K a pop. Therefore, it is an incentive for the franchise to pack it right.
2. Over and above the regular insurance is a UPS franchise "pack and ship promise" and a "guaranteed shipping refund", usually another $2/100 that guarantees no hassle in the event of breakage, including shipping and packing costs if the UPS francise packs the item.
3. If you pack it yourself, UPS can deny the claim upon inspection again as "not packed properly". If they deny the claim under not packed properly, your chances of collecting your insurance re-inbursement are slim.

I cannot define what "not packed properly" is. As a side note, walked into a "Pack and Ship" who represents both UPS and Fed Ex and there was a large bold sign that stated not responsible for breakage.

Bottom line: [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:00 am

Here is the list of shit to do from UPS when packing your items.

Page (1) http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resour ... ow_to.html
Page (2) http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resour ... w_to2.html

The "Packing Advisor" is pretty cool !!!
http://www.ups.com/packaging/?loc=en_US
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮

<<

BillD

Post Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:52 am

I never go to any of the stores that aren't real UPS stores or FedEx (Kinko's) stores. Those pack and ship people that represent UPS and FedEx (especially combined stores) as franchisees will rip you off. You can sit at home and do accurate calculations of box size and weight, and they'll always be over that by $10 bucks or so. Whereas, the real stores will be right on.

DaveS

The OverLord of CarverAudio.com

Post Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:05 pm

Don`t mess around with Pack n Ship call UPS direct and ask them, 1 800 PICK UPS. And just so you know they have paid every claim I have had with them after I packed and insured ribbons to be sent.

You can pack and print a shipping lable at home, stick it on the box and take it to the UPS store and drop it off there if you want. Some will ask for $1 but the stores that are higher up the ladder don`t. Kinkos type stores at the bottom UPS Customer Service Center type at the top.
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests”.
- Patrick Henry
<<

edriz

M-400t CUBE

Post Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:55 am

I'm just gonna ship the C-1 USPO. I don't want to mess with UPS or FedEx. The only local UPS is downtown and they have some screwy hours. Part time at the least. It's more of a distribution center then anything else I guess but I heard people also ship there if you can catch them open. I aint gonna bother.

I just need the C-1 to get to Rita's. My M-400a should be here on Monday and it's gonna be hard enough to keep my promise to not use it until my C-1 is finished and home. I should have shipped the C-1 on Wednesday as I had planned but I just got too busy. It will go out today. And Priority mail so it's there by Monday. It may cost a bit more but what ya gonna do. I should have enough saved at this point.

That makes 2 down, That leaves the M-400 to start saving for. [-o<
Currently In Use
Current Rack; Carver M-4.0t Power Amp, Carver C-4000t Pre Amp,Empire 598III Turntable, Denon DL-103R cart/stylus,Pioneer RT-909 Reel To Reel,Nakamichi Dragon cassette deck,DBX Pro Series 231 Dual Channel 31 band EQ,Pioneer PDR-555RW CD,DBX-3bx,Berwun Research 7000A TNE,DBX-224x DS TypeII NR, Klipsch Lascalas "Loud,Proud,Clean & Mean"
<<

stereo_buff

TFM-55

Post Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:13 pm

I shipped a C-16 across the country using USPS Priority Mail for about the same as UPS ground and it got there in 1/3 the time with nary a scratch on the outside box, let alone the contents.
PreviousNext

Return to CARVER Equipment Repair/Help Forum