FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:07 pm

Help with TFM45 and CT6!

<<

70chevelle

M-400t CUBE

Post Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:52 am

Help with TFM45 and CT6!

I've been having an issue. Occasionally (1-3 times in 2-3 hour session), I'll get a loud 'ground buzz' through my speakers while listening. It doesn't increase/decrease with the volume. It makes no difference which source. When I give the amp to pre RCA a twist at the pre-amp, it will normally stop, so I assumed it was the pre. I emailed Roland about repairing it, but I'm not sure it makes financial sense to repair instead of buying something else. So, I figured I'd poke around and took it out of my system. Since it was out, I decided to fire up the amp just to eliminate it as the problem. Well, to my surprise, with the rca's still connected I got the same buzz through both speakers, just not as loud. Then I removed the RCA cable from the amp and got the same buzz at a very low volume thru the left speaker only. Now, my thoughts have turned to the amp. I know I could just pack it up and ship it to Roland or Rita, but I wanted to hear what you experts thought may be the issue and if it's something I can take care of. I bought this amp about 2 years ago with a fresh refurb and as my thoughts with the pre go, I need it to make financial sense whatever I do. What does this sound like to you experts? Thanks!
Main: TFM-45, Sunfire Tube CCC, Maverick DAC, NAD525Bee, Vandy 2C, Laptop
Office: M-500, CT-6, SDA360, Paradigm Studio 20, HRT MSII, PC
HT: Acurus 200x3, HK AVR247, Paradigm Mini Monitors, CC290, Micros, Velodyne DSL3750
Wght Rm: HR732, Paradigm Micros, Pure20
House: Denon AVR1400, Niles spkr box, SpeakerCraft Ceilings, BA A60II's, BA T930's, PC
Bedroom: Yamaha AVR, Panasonic DVD/CD chgr, Paradigm CC50/Micros, Yam sub.
Headphones: AKG Q701's, Sennheiser HD238's
Patio: Yamaha AVR, KLH In/Out Speakers
Misc: HK 330i
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:59 am

Re: Help with TFM45 and CT6!

Open it up & visually inspect your RCAs for any broken/weak solder joints.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

gdb

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:49 pm

I NEVER twist RCAs, I have messed up a couple of them by doing that, In and out, repeat,rotate male RCA outside of recep, then in and out a few more times. Using DeOxit is great for cleaning and for lubricating tight connections. I'd suggest trying some different ICs and see if the hum still happens. Good luck :)
<<

Rainman

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:49 am

Without actually hearing the noise it's a little tough to cover possibilities, but it could be something as simple as a ground issue or something that is hooked up in the chain which may be about to release it's magic smoke. (dollar store and Walmart cheapo type dvd players can be really good at inducing all kinds of uncool noise into your gear as they create a killer ground loop that you could use for a jump rope.) We had a non stereo related ground loop in our house a while ago that was so stout you could actually hear an feel the light switches and recpts buzzing to that really sweet "ground sound" :x

Rainman

Question: Do you know why turds are tapered on the ends? Answer: So your asshole doesn't slam shut..

Carver- SDA490t, SDA450, 2 TFM45's, TFM15, CT23, CT28v, CT27v, Linn Kaber speakers, Sunfire crm2's, PS Audio Statement speaker cables and I/C's, A.P.C. power
<<

70chevelle

M-400t CUBE

Post Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:55 am

TNRabbit wrote:Open it up & visually inspect your RCAs for any broken/weak solder joints.

I think I have it licked!!! I thought the issue was tied to the loose left RCA (cap?) on the pre-out. I got it tightened up a bit, and then the problem got worse. Louder and more often. If I lifted up on the left cable, it would stop and re-start when I let go. I've had the top off this a few times trying to correct the issue, but I never lifted the main PCB. I got it up yesterday and found that the center set of 3 RCA's (tape in's and out's) were loose at what I think is the ground. (the outer connection to the board) I got out my iron and fixed them up. Left the amp & pre on for most of the evening last nite and no issues. I even fumbled around with the cables and got no buzzing. I can hear a very slight hiss out of the tweeter when I put my ear right up against it, which is the quietest it's ever been.
HT: Acurus 200x3, HK AVR247, Paradigm Mini Monitors, CC290, Micros, Velodyne DSL3750
House: Denon AVR1400, Niles spkr box, SpeakerCraft Ceilings, BA A60II's, BA T930's, PC
<<

TNRabbit

Post Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:04 pm

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

kingman

Post Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:29 pm

SUPER!!! =D> =D> =D> Man it feels good to figure problems out in your audio system!!! \:D/ :lol: \:D/
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

70chevelle

M-400t CUBE

Post Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:34 pm

Listening right now. Fixed and free. Don't get much better than that! \:D/
<<

gdb

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:51 pm

A little tip for the CT-6, do not use the power button to turn on and off, always use the remote's power button. The CT-6 is "famous" for broken power buttons and I think that it is a pretty expensive repair to have done. (if the part is even available anymore?) :)
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:30 pm

You need to be careful turning interconnects! I learned the hard way! Back when I was using Stupid spiral Monster interconnects and you turn one direction to get off > Fricken Monster, I will never use Monster again! Cracked the output on my pre-amp! I also purchased some Kimber Hero interconnects off e-bay and one did not work!! What the hell I though :-k I unscrewed the RCA and you could see where it was twisted turned to unconnect and the wire was broke! I contacted seller saying what the heck did you turn these to get them off your amp? He paid for the repair sending it off to Kimber! That was cool, that doesn't happen very ofter from an e-bay seller!
<<

70chevelle

M-400t CUBE

Post Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:38 pm

GDB - I read that (probably your post) on another thread and am pretty conscious about using the remote or carefully using the power button. =D>

Speaking of interconnects :-s I purchased a few interconnects and some speakerwire from knuconceptz. I've never been a interconnect/speakerwire person, but have tried to get better than Walmart specials. I replaced a crappy molded pair of rca's on my HR732 reciever that connected the CD player. It was a night and day difference. Better clarity, soundstage, bass extension, etc. So, I already had one of these cables connecting the CT-6 to the TFM45 and decided I should replace the other 2 sets for my CD players. I took the other cables and put them in my theater system. (HK AVR247 and Acurus A200x3) After I fixed the CT-6 I reconnected everything with the Knuconceptz cables and.........meh? #-o Not a lot of extension in the highs or lows, the soundstage got narrower and the instruments were a bit muddy on complex passages. I thought I screwed something up with the fix? Then I fired up the home theater and it sound bright and tinny? WTF?? After messing with some settings and getting upset, I figured I better switch the cables back from the theater to the 2 channel. I did this, and BAM! right where it was before. Sparkly highs, deep controlled lows and a great soundstage to boot. So I put the previous cables back on the 2 channel and the Knuconceptz on the home theater. The home theater now has a great sound. Not boomy or thin, just right. The cables that went back on the 2 channel system are Belkin PureAV Silver. I guess the Knuconceptz can mellow out a bright system a bit, and the Belkin can add some brightness to more laid back system. Just thought I'd share!

Return to CARVER Equipment Repair/Help Forum