FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:35 pm

Repair Hints for a Newbie??

<<

bcarpman

Post Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:07 pm

Repair Hints for a Newbie??

Hello all,

Thanks for all the helpfull info I've found here. I have a TFM-35 that I have now sent off for repair 3 times. Each time at about a two year interval. I've got some time on my hands right now, and a rudementary knowledge of electronics (have designed and built DYI projects such as active crossovers and power supplies), and I'm wondering if there is any basic manual or thread covering how to get started tracing problems in a faulty amplifier?

I've downloaded the TFM-35 service manual, but unlike every other service manual I've ever had for any other device, there is no trouble shooting flow chart, etc.

Any advice for a newbie?

thanks
<<

Rainman

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:44 am

Re: Repair Hints for a Newbie??

Where were you sending it to be repaired? It should not be needing repairs every 2 years unless it's not being completely serviced or you are using it in a way that is causing it to fail prematurely. Sounds like you need to send it to Mr. Carver and Rita to have it thoroughly serviced. Rita doesn't just fix the problem it has at the time. She replaces the "wear" items like all the capacitors instead of only replacing the one that failed. You will get it back as a fully refurbed unit that will perform as good as a brand new factory specs unit.

Rainman
Question: Do you know why turds are tapered on the ends? Answer: So your asshole doesn't slam shut..

Carver- SDA490t, SDA450, 2 TFM45's, TFM15, CT23, CT28v, CT27v, Linn Kaber speakers, Sunfire crm2's, PS Audio Statement speaker cables and I/C's, A.P.C. power
<<

stevewithrow

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:02 am

Rainman wrote:Where were you sending it to be repaired? It should not be needing repairs every 2 years unless it's not being completely serviced or you are using it in a way that is causing it to fail prematurely. Sounds like you need to send it to Mr. Carver and Rita to have it thoroughly serviced. Rita doesn't just fix the problem it has at the time. She replaces the "wear" items like all the capacitors instead of only replacing the one that failed. You will get it back as a fully refurbed unit that will perform as good as a brand new factory specs unit.

Rainman

http://www.ritasvintageaudio.net/
<<

bcarpman

Post Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:20 am

Rainman wrote:Where were you sending it to be repaired? It should not be needing repairs every 2 years unless it's not being completely serviced or you are using it in a way that is causing it to fail prematurely. Sounds like you need to send it to Mr. Carver and Rita to have it thoroughly serviced. Rita doesn't just fix the problem it has at the time. She replaces the "wear" items like all the capacitors instead of only replacing the one that failed. You will get it back as a fully refurbed unit that will perform as good as a brand new factory specs unit.

Rainman

Both places are no longer in business (no wonder). No, I don't abuse them. In fact, the TFM-35's are running bridged mono, and hardly ever get driven over a few percent of their capacity. The fact that it's always the same one that fails says something. I am probably going to be selling all my audio equipment this year as a failed business is forcing a move and coresponding downsizing. I'll be selling both TFM-35's, two SIlver 9T's, a 1.5 and a 1.0.

Is it worth paying to have the TFM fixed before selling it, or am I better off selling it as repairable? Cosmetically it's perfect, and when it works, it sounds great. It just keeps blowing fuses. I figure if the power draw problem was something simple maybe I could repair it myself.
<<

Breaking Glass

M-400t CUBE

Post Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:52 am

I would sent it to one of the places recomended on this site and get it fixed, then keep it, but i have OCCD.

Return to CARVER Equipment Repair/Help Forum