FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:30 am

Soooooo.....I got "the call".......

<<

dyeraudio

TFM-75

Post Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:09 pm

Soooooo.....I got "the call".......

Rita called me Tuesday to say that she was done with my TFM-45......Apparently the issue I had was a bunch of cold-solder joints, a leaking cap and an overloaded power supply......According to Rita there were two kinds of gain pot upgrades...mine had already had it done and supposedly it was the latest version.....she replaced the caps, re-soldered the bad joints, and adjusted the power supply.....had it on the bench all day on Tuesday and wanted to listen to it all day today.....Rita received my amp last Friday and was done with it on Tuesday.....she did want to keep it for another day just to make sure everything was in check....its leaving her shop at complete factory specs.....all this for $250......she did stress to make it known that while they have some current projects now, the outlook could be better....she did ask me please pass the word along on the forum that unless business picks up it could start to look bleak.....not sure what the problem was with other members getting responses to their questions and emails but i am pretty impressed with my experience so far....the true test will be known once I have it hooked up again.....should receive a week from today....not bad at all for sending a 25lb. amp across the nation for a complete overhaul......a friendly reminder...PICK UP THE PHONE......you will ALWAYS get a quicker response than by relying on the Internet!
CARVER CT-29V, CARVER TFM-45 (Rita-furbished) ,CARVER SD/A 490t, LINN Keilidh speakers, PS Audio I/C's, PS Audio Statement & Plus Speaker Cables, APC Line-R 600 conditioner, Vibra-Cones
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Soooooo.....I got "the call".......

I though their service rate was now over $300.00? you said you paid $250.00?? If Rita lowered her service rate we all need to know this and maybe more people would sent in unit's? oh, congrats on the amp!
<<

dyeraudio

TFM-75

Post Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:53 pm

I guess maybe my amp didn't need as much as I thought? :-k When I called for pricing I was quoted a $100 bench fee.....up to 3 hours was $250 and if it was going to be more she would call to let me know and if she should proceed....and that would be $350......maybe the worse case scenario is $350? Like I said....CALL......every unit has its own issues...maybe the reason business slowing down for them is the price increase?
CARVER CT-29V, CARVER TFM-45 (Rita-furbished) ,CARVER SD/A 490t, LINN Keilidh speakers, PS Audio I/C's, PS Audio Statement & Plus Speaker Cables, APC Line-R 600 conditioner, Vibra-Cones
<<

Rainman

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:07 pm

Just wait until you hear how happy your 45 will be when you feed it with the preamp that you have not had a chance to try yet! I also agree with you 100% on the issue of contacting people! When someone gets upset because their email was not replied to after a couple days, but they are not willing to pick up a telephone and dial 10 digits IMO that person is an idiot and it's not right for them to publicly express their displeasure in the first place! You don't know why there hasn't been a reply to your email so pick up the damn phone and find out why. Then decide if you should be unhappy about waiting a couple days for an email. Before I get upset I try to make sure I have a legitimate reason to do so especially in a case like this. I can promise you the device Alexander G. Bell invented and called the telephone is much more reliable method of communication than a computer. After talking with Dyeraudio regarding the repair prices from Rita I gathered that at least in his case there was the possibility of a variance in the end cost.
I also gathered that it was depending on exactly what was wrong with his unit and to what extent she had to go to get it up to snuff. It could also be because the 45 is quite different from most of the other amps as far as how it's assembled or whatever, and I do know that she does not see very many 45's come through the door. I think at the end of the day everyone needs to remember that Rita is there for us, that's how she makes her living so I'm pretty sure she will do her best to meet our needs! So if she doesn't sit and stare at a computer waiting for an email to pop up give her a break and pick up the phone!

To quote Rabbit and everyone should think about this "It's like running in the special olympics, even if you win you're still retarded!"

Rainman
Question: Do you know why turds are tapered on the ends? Answer: So your asshole doesn't slam shut..

Carver- SDA490t, SDA450, 2 TFM45's, TFM15, CT23, CT28v, CT27v, Linn Kaber speakers, Sunfire crm2's, PS Audio Statement speaker cables and I/C's, A.P.C. power
<<

dyeraudio

TFM-75

Post Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:09 pm

So....my TFM-45 arrived Tuesday....completely unscathed by UPS.. =D> ...packed EXACTLY the way it was shipped......Hooked it up....waited 15 mins and popped in "Gaucho" by Steely Dan... \:D/ ..now there isn't enough space here to completely let everyone know how beautiful and completely different my amp sounds...absolutely amazing....hearing things I have never heard before....not to mention a better Pre (CT-28) helped as well.....Rita did a fantastic job with my amp...total for my repairs and shipping back was $275.00......all I can say is that if anyone is considering NOT having their amp re-done should reconsider....Both caps were replaced, the gain pot already had the most current update and some solder joints were repaired...benched for 3 days turned on (by my choice).....Rita herself even called to see how happy I was with the job. 100% completely happy with my experience....maybe 1 email :shock: was sent during the entire process...the rest of the communication was by TELEPHONE........ =D>
<<

anatech

Post Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:12 am

Hi dyeraudio,
Yes, a properly serviced amp does tend to sound better. There are lots of little things to look after in there that a tech normally simply does.

As for the damping pot mod, I don't use any trimmers there anymore. Even the latest version will generate trouble later in time. I started using fixed metal film resistors ages ago, even when Carver Corp. existed. I tack other resistors across the fixed ones to make corrections and generally end up with a channel balance better than 0.05 dB. These are guarantied to be trouble free. The best part? No controls for anyone to tamper with.

Perhaps other service people might consider doing this change instead of continuing with trimmer controls. This change does not address the root cause of the problem. This would be oxides on the wiper slip ring. The lower value trimmer and series resistor only makes it easier to adjust the channel gain close to what you want.

Just a thought.

-Chris
You did what???!

Return to CARVER Equipment Repair/Help Forum