FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:46 am

Left not as loud as right on carver powered stereo.

<<

kenaibo1

Post Mon May 31, 2010 5:25 pm

Left not as loud as right on carver powered stereo.

I have a carver m200t amplifier and a c2 preamp and my left channel is louder than the right, I have switched speaker wires as well as input wires between the amp and preamp. I am wondering why this is ocurring and which of these components is the most likely to be faulty. I can use the balance and nearly even them out and it seems the louder I go the less difference there is, when turned very low the left speaker barely works at all. I have switched left to right also and then the right behaves that way so it doesnt seem to be the speakers. ??? Help thanks Bo
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Mon May 31, 2010 6:30 pm

Re: Left not as loud as right on carver powered stereo.

OK, when you switch the wires between the amp and preamp, what happens.

1. the low channel moves from left to right or vice versa → it's the preamp
2. the low channel stays the same → it's the amp.

In the case of 2, it also could be the speakers, in which case, changing wires between the speakers and preamp would not change which channel is low. However, if the low channel moves , it's the amp.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Mon May 31, 2010 6:52 pm

While I completely agree with what Mr. BillD has said, I'd like to take it one step further to determine where the issue may lie. Before you do anything Bill has mentioned, swap the L+R IC's from your source(s). If nothing changes, then proceed to do exactly what Bill has advised and then get back to us.

I very seriously doubt the source would be the culprit but without knowing if you are using a quality CD player or something like an I-pod, MP3 or poorly done computer generated music [for example], we have to add that into the equation.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon May 31, 2010 6:58 pm

Dose the M200t have gain pots for each channel? I'm sure the gain pot's are not on the front but maybe in the back? Maybe it's just that simple? One of the gain pot's is turned down on that channel and they are not equal?
<<

kenaibo1

Post Mon May 31, 2010 11:53 pm

treitz3 wrote:While I completely agree with what Mr. BillD has said, I'd like to take it one step further to determine where the issue may lie. Before you do anything Bill has mentioned, swap the L+R IC's from your source(s). If nothing changes, then proceed to do exactly what Bill has advised and then get back to us.

I very seriously doubt the source would be the culprit but without knowing if you are using a quality CD player or something like an I-pod, MP3 or poorly done computer generated music [for example], we have to add that into the equation.

Well it doesnt matter which source I use, be it cd player, tuner or cassette so i am gonna give Mr bills thoughts a whirl.
<<

kenaibo1

Post Mon May 31, 2010 11:54 pm

Jag_97470 wrote:Dose the M200t have gain pots for each channel? I'm sure the gain pot's are not on the front but maybe in the back? Maybe it's just that simple? One of the gain pot's is turned down on that channel and they are not equal?

I looked on the back and it has no adjustments at all. That woulda been a nice solution but I guess it isnt to be.
<<

kenaibo1

Post Mon May 31, 2010 11:58 pm

BillD wrote:OK, when you switch the wires between the amp and preamp, what happens.

1. the low channel moves from left to right or vice versa → it's the preamp
2. the low channel stays the same → it's the amp.

In the case of 2, it also could be the speakers, in which case, changing wires between the speakers and preamp would not change which channel is low. However, if the low channel moves , it's the amp.

Actually I havent switched the wires from left to right and vice versa yet, I just tried a replacement rca jack set to no avail. Gonna give your idea tomorrow. Thanks BillD... I am not in love with either piece. The amp overheats when it gets to rocking to hard and I am not impressed with the c2, I had a dbx preamp that seemed to make me happier with its sound and functions.. I will let you know...
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:33 am

The amp overheats when it gets to rocking to hard

What is rocking hard, as in what position is the volume knob at? Does the amp have open space all around it, are there things on top of it or is it in a cabinet of some sort?
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

kenaibo1

Post Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:26 am

F1nut wrote:
The amp overheats when it gets to rocking to hard

What is rocking hard, as in what position is the volume knob at? Does the amp have open space all around it, are there things on top of it or is it in a cabinet of some sort?

I've had it over heat when leaving it at half volume for more than about twenty minutes. I have two speakers set up to each side which may be the culprit. It does have components below it but about an inch above it.. I installed a fan in the switched position plug in set and when I feel like really rockin I turn the fan on. I just keep an eye on the warning light and when it strts to flicker i back off...
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:48 am

Ok, you have multiple user issues.

1. More than half volume is generally not a good idea. You're pushing the amp into clipping.

2. Running 2 sets of speakers is generally not a good idea.

3. One inch of space above the amp is a HUGE no-no, even with a fan.

4. Because of the above actions, you have more than likely cooked the outputs on the channel not playing as loud as the other. You contradict yourself as to which channel that is.

Note: A fan blowing down or across the top isn't helping, the heat needs to be pulled out.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:58 pm

Like F1nut said, if you have two sets of speakers running (what kind of speakers?) and your amp is clipping you are Killing your speakers! Does your music sound distorted at high volume when the amp is clipping? Another sign your Killing your speakers! Don't blame the amp. Send in the amp for repair, get some ventilation, and remove one set of speakers.
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:14 pm

In what configuration are the speakers connected??
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:54 am

As F1 mentioned, heat is a killer. They make fans that mount on top or side (whichever is appropiate) of amp vents to suck that heat out. (negative pressure) They need room to breathe.

Some time ago, I hooked up a replacement receiver in a very tight space in my cabinet. After it would warm up (a couple of hours), even though I was just using the pre-amp section only, a heat protection relay would cut in and shut the amp on and off. At first, since the other receiver never complained, I thought I had a short somewhere in my connections. After checking all connections, everything was fine. When I took the replacement receiver out of the cabinet and moved to another location, (a wide open space) no problem. It would run all day.
This clued me in to the heat related issue. Fortunately, no damage done yet.Whether you decide to fix your amp or replace, make sure there is adequate ventilation.

Also, they make speaker selector switches that may allow you to play two sets of speakers at the same time and keep the impedence at a figure your amp may live with. Again, it depends on your speaker efficiency and amp as to how well this well work.

Return to CARVER Equipment Repair/Help Forum