FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:23 am

TGA Series II - Won't power up...

<<

ScubaCA

Post Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:38 pm

TGA Series II - Won't power up...

My father has a 5 channel TGA Series II powering his 5.1 channel theater. He purchased the unit new so he has had it for a couple of years. He powered on the theater the other day and the mains and the 5.1 sides did not produce any sound. He looked at the amp and the power meter showed nothing. I went over to his house only to find that the amp was simply not powering up. I unplugged the unit and then checked all the fuses in the back and they were all fine. I opened up the unit only to find that there was one small size fast blow 250V/2A fuse that was blown. I went to the ecletronics store and bought a new fuse then replaced it with the exact same on that was in the unit. I plugged it in to the power supply and it powered up great =P~ . I then fully reinstalled it back into the theater and powered the whole thing up but when I began to turn up the volume, the sound came in for a second, then disappeared immediately, and the amp shut off again.

Any ideas that I can trouble shoot? :-k [-o<
<<

nooshinjohn

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:14 pm

Re: TGA Series II - Won't power up...

Maybe it's time for an upgrade??? :D :D :-"

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl? ... -Signature

You can also consider sending it out to Rita's Vintage Audio Repair. Once fixed, you can have Bob Carver sign it for your dad. \:D/ \:D/
Carver Statement Reference Monoblocks!!!Sunfire Signature TGA 7401, Pioneer SC-37 Surround Receiver, Sunfire Classic Vacuum Tube Preamp with Phono Stage, Magnepan MG-20's(main) Polk Audio RM 7500's(surround) Polk Audio CSi-a6 (center) Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, Pioneer Elite PD-DJ9 SACD/CD Player, Sony BDPs-350 BLUray player, LG 42lg50 1080p HDTV, Klipsch Synergy SUB-10 powered subwoofer.[/size]
<<

ScubaCA

Post Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:04 pm

Your response offers no help. If I wanted a new unit, I would not have asked for "help," I would have just bought a new unit.
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:12 pm

Kinda early in your career on this site to cop an attitude, dude [-X If you don't have any tolerance, stick with swimming.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

frankieD

Frankie The Mouth

Post Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:56 pm

BillD wrote:Kinda early in your career on this site to cop an attitude, dude [-X If you don't have any tolerance, stick with swimming.

Amen Bill !
<<

helicopterpilotdoug

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:07 pm

ScubaCA wrote:Your response offers no help. If I wanted a new unit, I would not have asked for "help," I would have just bought a new unit.

UHHH, I think you must not have read the entire post!
nooshinjohn wrote:
You can also consider sending it out to Rita's Vintage Audio Repair. Once fixed, you can have Bob Carver sign it for your dad.

Now to me, that was a response that offered help, as well as suggesting something nice for your Dad.
Sunfire: Theater Grand IV, Cinema Grand Signature.
Carver: TFM-45, PST-24 Cassette, Extra Carver Gear: CT-6, C-11 (S/N 00001).
Polk Audio: Mains SRS 2.1TL, Center CSiA6, Surrounds FXiA6 and FXiA4, Sub DSW MicroPro 1000, Extra Speakers SDA 2A, SDA 2Btl, Monitor 10A.
Turntable: Dual CS 714Q
Bluray/SACD: Oppo BDP 83SE
CD: Sony 330 300 Disk changer

http://www.douglasconnection.com
<<

ScubaCA

Post Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:22 pm

Look, I am sorry if my answers are too direct. I was simply looking for reasons why this would happen and ways to fix it?

So, anyone have any ideas to troubled shoot?
<<

frankieD

Frankie The Mouth

Post Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:28 pm

One problem with Sunfire gear is that scematics are not available. This makes it very difficult to "fix".

I'm one of the lessor tech types here but I will suggest that it sounds like something is shorting & causing the fuse to blow.

If you are set on trying to fix it yourself I would first take to top off & visually look for anything unusual like a darkening around a component or caps that are leaking or bulging etc. If nothing try it with the top off while you watch to see if you can see a spark or anything else out of the ordinary. I wish I could offer more.

If it were a Carver you would get tons of help but Sunfire is a different deal.

Rita's is a good solution & will make a nice gift since Bob will sign it for you.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Also...Welcome to the Forum.
<<

nooshinjohn

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:59 pm

ScubaCA wrote:Your response offers no help. If I wanted a new unit, I would not have asked for "help," I would have just bought a new unit.

The two options I provided you were both helpful. Everyone here would kill to have a Signature Series, or at least think about it, so I provided a link to upgrade if you so desired. To a soul, all would have at least said thanks for the link. The second option was to have you send it to the master himself to have it fixed and signed, and again, everyone here would have been grateful for being given that assistance. You on the other hand want to be rude and arrogant. Brilliant way to make friends in just two posts.

The best piece of advice I could give you now is to by lots of Vaseline, because you will need it to fit that amp where the sun don't shine. :x

Try fitting it sideways first and at a bit of an angle and it should go in easier. Hope the advice helps.
Carver Statement Reference Monoblocks!!!Sunfire Signature TGA 7401, Pioneer SC-37 Surround Receiver, Sunfire Classic Vacuum Tube Preamp with Phono Stage, Magnepan MG-20's(main) Polk Audio RM 7500's(surround) Polk Audio CSi-a6 (center) Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, Pioneer Elite PD-DJ9 SACD/CD Player, Sony BDPs-350 BLUray player, LG 42lg50 1080p HDTV, Klipsch Synergy SUB-10 powered subwoofer.[/size]
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:49 am

The fact that it was an internal (as opposed to externally accessible) fuse should give you some idea what the problem might be. We have two or three techies on here, but the rest are laymen. Can you provide pics of the fuse location & surrounding area?

What is the warranty period on the TGA series amps? I'd try to give Sunfire a call & see what they say.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.

Return to CARVER Equipment Repair/Help Forum