FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:40 am

Phono section on the blink...maybe more

<<

Dr. W

TFM-35

Post Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:57 pm

Re: Phono section on the blink...maybe more

kingman wrote:Thanks George!!! How do I know if it is capable of accommodating a phono board??? Yes...I wanna hear vinyl......

Wayne, I believe all Classics will accept the phono board. If the front panel has a position on the input selector that is labeled phono/CD then you are good to go.

The phono board was an option that could be installed at Sunfire or in the field by a dearer, or owner. It is quite simple to install. If you can use a Phillips screwdriver, you have the skills. The board has 6 tubes. Check back through one our our classic threads for more info.

The board is easy to install. I think I saw one go for $125, just once. $325-350 seems much more typical.

I bought my NOS "B" stock 2002 remote control classic, without a phonoboard, and bought a non-remote with phonoboard at the same time. I pulled the phono and put it in the remote unit.

I took the "additional CD" input, which is the single pair of RCAs under the MM phono label, and moved those to the non-remote unit. I sold it as a "basic", which of course means no options, remote, or phono. (If you take this route you need to pull the board, the stand offs, the shorter ribbon cable, and the power supply jumper)

If you find a complete phono kit, it will have the board with the 6 tubes and four RCA pairs, a short ribbon connector for connection to the line board, which also is power supply connections. And.... this is important, a little jumper that goes on the power supply board and powers up the phono board.

If you can get a tweaked board from Bob, that would definitely be the way to go.

Bruce
Bruce A Weiland, my system here -->> http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vevol&1317958032&openmine&zzBruce_weiland&4&5#Bruce_weiland
<<

jerryj12

TFM-6cb

Post Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:14 pm

Dr. W wrote:
kingman wrote:Thanks George!!! How do I know if it is capable of accommodating a phono board??? Yes...I wanna hear vinyl......

Wayne, I believe all Classics will accept the phono board. If the front panel has a position on the input selector that is labeled phono/CD then you are good to go.

The phono board was an option that could be installed at Sunfire or in the field by a dearer, or owner. It is quite simple to install. If you can use a Phillips screwdriver, you have the skills. The board has 6 tubes. Check back through one our our classic threads for more info.

The board is easy to install. I think I saw one go for $125, just once. $325-350 seems much more typical.

I bought my NOS "B" stock 2002 remote control classic, without a phonoboard, and bought a non-remote with phonoboard at the same time. I pulled the phono and put it in the remote unit.

I took the "additional CD" input, which is the single pair of RCAs under the MM phono label, and moved those to the non-remote unit. I sold it as a "basic", which of course means no options, remote, or phono. (If you take this route you need to pull the board, the stand offs, the shorter ribbon cable, and the power supply jumper)

If you find a complete phono kit, it will have the board with the 6 tubes and four RCA pairs, a short ribbon connector for connection to the line board, which also is power supply connections. And.... this is important, a little jumper that goes on the power supply board and powers up the phono board.

If you can get a tweaked board from Bob, that would definitely be the way to go.

Bruce

GREAT advise, Bruce
+1 on what he said.
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:57 pm

Thanks guys...pm sent to the 'BOB!'!!! [-o<
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

BrianT

Pair of Silver Sevens

Post Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:41 am

Wayne.

Take the cover off and have a look. If the left hand side is empty, then you can install a phono board if you can find one.
Easiest option go with a stand alone phono pre amp.

The picture is the inside of Tom's (beeemers) without a phono board in place.

Brian.
Attachments
IMG_8548.JPG
IMG_8548.JPG (1.81 MiB) Viewed 184 times
VPI Classic Turntable (blk)
Transfiguration Phoenix Cartridge
Sunfire Vacuum Tube Control Centre. C/W Mod'ed Phono Stage
Carver Silver 7's Tube Amps
Raysonic CD-168 CDP (silver)
Carver TX11.
B&W 802D's Rosenut
Previous