FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:28 am

TGP-5 panel light issue

<<

Glenlivet

Newbie 50+

Post Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:15 pm

TGP-5 panel light issue

The lights have failed on the right side three, of the six upper blue illuminated push button controls on my near new TGP-5.
The illumination of the three buttons failed and then returned during a few days of on-off cycling, now the blue illumination does not return on the right three.

The blue illumination still glows very dimly on these three, and the right-most one of the three intact ones is a bit dimmer than its two mates, suggesting that the light function for all six buttons is two light sources (micro bulbs?) that channel their output to the six buttons and maybe it is one of two sources (bulbs?) that has burned out or the power to it has been interrupted.
I don't know this though, as to get it out from the cabinet it lives in and take the cover off means working in an awkward place and unplugging everything on the back, and I'd like to do this repair all in one fell swoop if possible.

Does anyone know the nature of these illuminated buttons and what part it might be that has failed?
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:59 pm

Re: TGP-5 panel light issue

There are absolutely no service manuals for Sunfire equipment. Call Bill at Rita's. You might try to reset the unit.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

nooshinjohn

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:23 pm

Contact Sunfire first. There is a possibility the unit still has warranty.
Carver Statement Reference Monoblocks!!!The Gear... Carver "Statement" Monoblocks, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds, Dodd Audio MLP, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Peachtree I-DAC, Oppo BDP-93, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, with Sumiko BPS EVOIII, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, SimAudio moon 110lp phono preamplifier.[/size]
<<

Glenlivet

Newbie 50+

Post Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:04 pm

nooshinjohn wrote:Contact Sunfire first. There is a possibility the unit still has warranty.

Thanks but I'm out of country, making it awkward and I'm not the original owner.
<<

TNRabbit

Post Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:29 pm

Did you ever reach a resolution on this?
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

kingman

Post Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:41 pm

TNRabbit wrote:Did you ever reach a resolution on this?

Do you "see the light" yet???? :lol:
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

Glenlivet

Newbie 50+

Post Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:11 pm

Not yet. The panel light on the right three buttons was flakey for a while (sometimes on at fresh power-up, sometimes went out again) now it's dark always, leading me to think it's a filament style micro bulb gone bad.

The way I made my built-in sound system stand/case to suit the room it's awkward to get at the rear connections (that you only have to plug in one time, right?) which all have to come out in order to remove the unit for opening the case, so I am loath to take the processor out just to peek inside, and then wait however long for a replacement part.
Though eventually I'll have to do it.
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:17 pm

I had a TGP-5 with all six lights out, had Bill at Rita's completely go through the whole unit and replace the lights. He told me that they're LEDs and total pain in the ass to replace. Hope that helps, good luck!
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 600x2
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch "mini" Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

BillD

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:44 pm

LED's typically don't burn out. It's usually something else in the circuit that shorts their power out.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:52 pm

more than likely, a $.25 resistor that's inline with the LED somewhere
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it 'cause nobody else will

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮

Return to CARVER Equipment Repair/Help Forum