FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:57 am

TFM-25 Issue

<<

Audiophile_719

Post Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:34 am

TFM-25 Issue

Hello gentlemen ! Great day to be an audiophile isn't it ?

I have just recently purchased a TFM-25 and it worked wonderfully the day I got it home and hooked it up. However, now when I power up my system and start playing it, my left channel is extremely weak. When I turn the volume up to about a quarter, it seems as though I have crossed wires or something leading into the left channel of my system, then the over load inside the amp kicks on and shuts down for a few seconds. I originally thought it was the speaker, so I switched them around and the problem followed the speaker. I then suspected that my HR-742 may be having issues. Divorced the amp and problem went away.

So I guess my question is, what could be going on inside the amp? As not being knowledgable of how to repair this or even where to look, I would greatly appreciate some advice on something to look for, or if I should send it off to be repaired.

Thanks for your time gentlemen.....
The Eye Can See What The Foot Cannot Kick
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:00 am

Re: TFM-25 Issue

If the problem followed the speaker, then the speaker is the problem.....yes?
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:12 pm

I have to agree with Rabbit...If you swapped your speakers and the problem followed your speaker then it has to be something with your speaker.
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:24 pm

Except "Divorced the amp and problem went away" would say that the amp IS the problem. I assume by this you mean that now, with a different amp, you have NO problems (with either channel)? IF this the case, (and the problem "follows the speaker" with and only with the TFM-25), then that implies that the Carver amp (and only the Carver amp) has an issue with your left speaker. That seems strange and not likely, but none the less possible (perhaps this speaker has an issue that is causing it to be very low impedance and the Carver 25 cannot handle this issue whereas your "other" amp can......we probably need more info to resolve your problem! - Ed
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: TLM-3600 CDP to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.
<<

Audiophile_719

Post Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:37 pm

Let me be a little more specific. On the back of my amp, I unplugged my speaker cables and switched them around. Essentially changing which speaker is being driven out of the left channel of the amp. Problem still exists, but since I switched speaker leads around, the speaker I switched into the left channel is now doing the same thing.

Like I said, once I took the Amp out of the equation, plugged my speaker cables into the back of my receiver, I do not have that problem anymore. So running my system ampless, everything is fine. I have primarily narrowed it down to being the left channel of the amp trying to take a dump on me.

I hope I explained this a little more clearly now...Thanks again gentlemen
The Eye Can See What The Foot Cannot Kick
<<

kingman

Post Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:42 pm

Bad left channel in amp. Take off top and look for any broken soldier joints or possible dark marks that look like burnt spots. Send amp to Rita or Rolland for repair. May be the caps.
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

Mr. M-500t

Post Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:37 pm

Wabbit and thuffman03 are full of beans ! :rolleyes:

Left channel in Amp is shot !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll give you $50.00 for it. Site unseen. :D
<<

beemers417

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:03 pm

I can fix it. \:D/ BTW, there should be plenty of "burn" marks on the board on the TFM-25. Service bulletin fixed that issue. Had many 25's that looked like a mess but functioned proper.
Gunter the wonder dog is watching you...
<<

Mr. M-500t

Post Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:11 pm

beemers417 wrote:I can fix it. \:D/ BTW, there should be plenty of "burn" marks on the board on the TFM-25. Service bulletin fixed that issue. Had many 25's that looked like a mess but functioned proper.

Hey man !!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Return to CARVER Equipment Repair/Help Forum