FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:17 am

carver m4.0t amplifier

<<

daviton

Post Sun Oct 19, 2003 9:22 pm

carver m4.0t amplifier

one of my 4.0t amps emits a "raspy&scratchy"noise in the right channel during playback on my sytem,especially during classical piano notes. i've checked every thing out (cables &hook up's etc...)and have come to the conclusion that IT IS the right channel of the amplifier. i've called carver repair and they said they could check this amp out,but the labor fee's etc.,would run around $195.00! does anyone know about the problem i have and what i could do to rectify it w/out spending the $195 repair charge,but if i have to....i will! any replies would be greatly appreciated!thanx...david
<<

DaveS

The OverLord of CarverAudio.com

Post Sun Oct 19, 2003 10:11 pm

4.0t amp

What kind of speakers do you have? Try switching the cables around left to right at the speakers see if the noise goes to the other speaker. Then do the same at the inputs to your pre-amp, it wouldn`t be the first time a volumn control got dirty. Make sure the fuse holder is tight.
<<

Charles Alexander

Post Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:26 pm

m4.0t

This amp had several issues that needed to be tended to. There is nothing to do but send it to a repair facility unless you are technically proficient in repair work. These problems were 1) Damping pot drift, 2) noise in outputs due to proximity to the transformer, 3) buzz from 67V rails. These problems were common to the TFM-45 & TFM-42 and probably to the M4.0t since all these models are covered in the same service manual.
<<

daviton

Post Sun Dec 14, 2003 8:55 pm

Re: m4.0t

Charles Alexander wrote:This amp had several issues that needed to be tended to. There is nothing to do but send it to a repair facility unless you are technically proficient in repair work. These problems were 1) Damping pot drift, 2) noise in outputs due to proximity to the transformer, 3) buzz from 67V rails. These problems were common to the TFM-45 & TFM-42 and probably to the M4.0t since all these models are covered in the same service manual.
after sending it to a reputable audio repair shop(repair manual included)i noticed that their were some issues/revision(s) stated in the manual.it would've been nice if the carver service center would've offered a recall on this amp for repair's.oh'well...mine's fixed! david
Last edited by daviton on Sat Feb 28, 2004 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

daviton

Post Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:34 am

4.ot amplifier

appearently these(maybe all)amplifier's over time will fall out of calibration.just got the amp mentioned in the forum back from a reputable audio repair shop>carver service manual provided}and all is well and the amp sound's terrific!
<<

m1.5tman

M-400t CUBE

Post Sat Feb 21, 2004 4:36 am

Are you saying I could bring my 1.5t to any audio repair shop for service as long as I provide my service manual?
<<

daviton

Post Sat Feb 21, 2004 8:01 am

1.5t amplifier

m1.5tman wrote:Are you saying I could bring my 1.5t to any audio repair shop for service as long as I provide my service manual?
depend's!my 4.0t needed the trim pot(s)to be ajusted and calibrated per spec(s)and it help's the service tech.to have something to go by.if your amp has a peticular problem w/a certain part>the manual will give him/her a reference to go by>i.e. part no# and schematic(s).the manual will also show revision's to that amp as well and help trouble shoot the problem(s).so if it's a reputable audio service center,i don't see why not and the forum aslo list's the the carver repair info as well!

Return to CARVER Equipment Repair/Help Forum