FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:33 am

M500T

<<

grlanier

Post Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:27 am

M500T

I have 2 M500T units that I purchased back in the mid-80's and have had them in storage for over 10 years in proper sealed boxes in environmentally controlled storage. I just pulled out my equipment and started by connecting my old CD changer. I want to use only one of the amps as the speakers I have will not handle the mono amp power from these big guys. However when I connected the cables and started to test, both amp meters lit up but no sound came out. I have checked and re-checked my connections from the CD player to the C-4000 pre-amp and to the M500T and out to the right and left speakers and everything looks fine. So, I tried swapping to my second amp and this time only one of the meters lights up but, I do get sound out of my B&W speakers however it sounds a bit like an AM radio. Does anyone have any suggestions about what might be wrong with either or both of the amps?
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:29 pm

Re: M500T

Check the settings on the pre amp. Do you have it set on the correct source? Is there a mono button that is pushed in? Is the tape dubbing/monitor switch engaged? Is the external processor button depressed? That pre has alot of buttons...1 slip and no sound!!!
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

mbskeam

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:31 pm

Mbskeam

#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:43 pm

hope you find the issue, otherwise it may be in for a overhaul as capacitors do like to just hang out on a shelf unpowered. many new capacitors have it that their specs that shelf life is a few years unused. i can't say for sure one way or another, but if you have the know how, i would swap the caps out. if not, for the cost of the capacitors and the shipping, i would do it for you if you have a lot of time to wait for them. other thoughts are that my friends at vintage hifi could repair them for a good price as can bob's repair service and hi-tech audio. all tops in the feild of repair. nice amps to say the least.
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

grlanier

Post Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:27 am

Thanks everyone. I found out that the problem wasn't with my Carver Equipment at all. The Best Buy people that installed my speakers hooked them up incorrectly - they removed the jumpers that were on my B&W speaker 4-way connectors and simply screwed up. I put the jumpers back on and instant music. I am so happy to finally be able to listen to the fantastic sound of this system again!
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:59 am

I realize that it's too late now and that you have found the problem, but for future reference, any amp that has been in storage that long should be brought up slowly on a Variac.

You mentioned that your speakers are not rated for what your amps bridged to mono can produce. That is a common misconception. You are much more likely to damage speakers by under powering them rather than over powering them. One thing though about bridged amps, they do not like to see less than a nominal 8 ohm load, so if your speakers are 4 ohm, do not use your amps bridged.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."

Return to CARVER Equipment Repair/Help Forum