FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:18 am

Carver AV-705X

<<

EndersShadow

TFM-45

Post Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:44 pm

Carver AV-705X

I am looking at possibly selling my Carver AV-705x 5 channel amp, as I am probably going to be moving up to one of the big boy Sunfires. I am trying to figure out what I am going to get out of it price wise.

Right now as it sits two of the THX knobs are not working, some of the binding posts are bent, and there is a large dent in the chassis on the bottom near the right back foot.

None of these items affect performance. According to the 2nd owner (I am the third) it had low hours when he got it and then after about 3 months he put it in a closet and there is sat for a bunch of years.

I can pay to mail it to one of the shops to have it refurbed, but I dont think I will get that cost back out of it when I sell it (Got a quote from vintage hi-fi of ~120 which I believe does not including shipping).

So I am looking to see what you think its worth to the masses (i.e. Craigslist, Audiogon, ebay, etc).:

1. As it stands
2. After refurbing

Thanks in advance fella's....
"You were on my Ignore List, but you are too damn entertaining, like a circus monkey, so I took you off" - H9
"We shouldn't laugh at people like you, we should pray for them. You have my prayers for a speedy rehabilitation you sad, silly little man" - Jstas
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:48 pm

Re: Carver AV-705X

a refurb of 120 is excellent i say. good to know that. by far a bargain.
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-45

Post Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:50 pm

angelod307 wrote:a refurb of 120 is excellent i say. good to know that. by far a bargain.

I agree, but thats not including shipping either way and its not by any means a light amp lol. Also thats without him actually physically seeing the amp besides some pics I emailed him, so I wouldn't quote that number for truth but more of a ballpark figure that may or may not be accurate in different situations.....

Just trying to see if I should deal with getting it refurbed before selling or just let it go as is. I am trying not to lose much cash on this as the money is going toward some other audio gear or possibly a new TV
"You were on my Ignore List, but you are too damn entertaining, like a circus monkey, so I took you off" - H9
"We shouldn't laugh at people like you, we should pray for them. You have my prayers for a speedy rehabilitation you sad, silly little man" - Jstas
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:57 pm

I just sold one near mint in perfect working condition for $350 shipped. If you're looking to sell it either way I'd pass on the refurb as you'll never get your money back. If you're lucky, you'll break even but be out a month (possibly longer) while everything transpires. I'd strongly suggest that you just sell it as is and be done with it. If it still works just fine, I'd think $250-$300 should be fair as I've seen them sell for close to $500 before.
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 600x2
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch "mini" Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-45

Post Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:08 pm

jjptkd wrote:I just sold one near mint in perfect working condition for $350 shipped. If you're looking to sell it either way I'd pass on the refurb as you'll never get your money back. If you're lucky, you'll break even but be out a month (possibly longer) while everything transpires. I'd strongly suggest that you just sell it as is and be done with it. If it still works just fine, I'd think $250-$300 should be fair as I've seen them sell for close to $500 before.

Rock on. Thats what i needed to know. I think I will shoot for 325-350 (so I have some wiggle room to drop down) locally on CL when the time comes.
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:04 pm

"Right now as it sits two of the THX knobs are not working,"

I paid $0 for one with exactly this condition.... But I guess it does not count: some "hillbilly" gave it to me.... :lol: (JK!). Replaced the two var resistors and also had to repair one of the RCA plugs...but works great now in my SS system.
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: TLM-3600 CDP to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-45

Post Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:53 am

elgrau wrote:"Right now as it sits two of the THX knobs are not working,"

I paid $0 for one with exactly this condition.... But I guess it does not count: some "hillbilly" gave it to me.... :lol: (JK!). Replaced the two var resistors and also had to repair one of the RCA plugs...but works great now in my SS system.

LOL yeah I remember, I asked you about fixing this amp at one point. The knobs are still attached they just dont actually do anything since they rotate 360 degree's lol. Thats mainly why I want a local sale. I dont know if those THX knobs would stand shipping........
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:56 am

But I guess it does not count: some "hillbilly" gave it to me
:lol: :lol: :lol:
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!

Return to CARVER Equipment Repair/Help Forum