It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:11 am

TFM-42 Intermitten Issue

<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:42 pm

TFM-42 Intermitten Issue

Hi Guys,
Had this re-furbed TFM-42 amp for several years and its always worked great BUT for the last year or two the LHS channel cuts out at least once per session. A mild "whack" on the side of the amp restores the signal but this is of course a huge annoyance. I've replaced the RCA interconnects several times so I know that's not the problem. Took the top off the amp a couple of times and poked around hoping to locate the source of this issue and make it manifest, but no luck. Is there a history of this issue with this amp and/or a process to use to try and determine the cause of this problem (cold solder joint, bad relay, bad RCA plug, or whatever)? Help! Thanks, Ed

add: been a while since I've posted here (also tried TheCarversite, but when I submitted my post I got a "serious" error message and lost my post and login session...), but as stated before, I'm more of a MUSIC guy than a music SYSTEM guy, so when my system(s) are working well, I'm happy just to enjoy the music...and that's been the case for the last several years!
FR: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
LR: AudioEngine wireless link from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 6.5" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-634x 3-4 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: 300 disk changer to Entech 202.5 DAC to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.
<<

Miko1971

TFM-6cb

Post Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:47 am

Re: TFM-42 Intermitten Issue

Have you checked the rca jacks? Those can break and cause that problem. I would try at low volume wiggling the input output jacks and see if it cuts out.
<<

Robert R

TFM-75

Post Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:52 am

Besides the input connections, this model (series of models, actually) is notorious for soldering problems at the plug-in connecting pins along the edge of the amp boards.

Robert R
"You know what folks? I'm happy."
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:06 pm

Ok; thanks guys! Will check those...
FR: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
LR: AudioEngine wireless link from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 6.5" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-634x 3-4 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: 300 disk changer to Entech 202.5 DAC to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.
<<

frankieD

Frankie The Mouth

Post Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:03 pm

Ed, is this the same TFM 42 that I sold you?

It was "rollandized" and although the warrenty would have expired by now I would call Rolland anyway. He might have some good info.

I'm just sayin'.
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:46 pm

Did a work around for this issue today so will defer for now or try and work it at my leisure. Basically, I remembered that I have a "spare" (and also re-furbed) TFM-45 sitting in our guest room (we get VERY few guests...lol) and just swapped these two amps (TFM-45 now in the garage system and "bad" TFM-42 in the guest room system, which is just an ipod and two EPI 400's and this amp).

This will also allow me to 100% determine that it is the amp and not IC's or source or whatever (although I'm pretty sure I already pretty much ruled all these out by switching the input IC's left to right and noting that the intermittent stayed in the LHS channel, etc.). If this amp in this new system setting does cut out in the LHS channel then I plan on 1st Deoxiting the LHS channel amp card connector and re-flow the solder joints of this connector as this was suggested by someone either here or on the other site to be quite likely a good place to start. Plus I poked and jiggled a bunch of components and the RCA sockets with a pencil eraser today after swapping the amps and nothing...no cutout of the channel at all, so maybe it could be the amp board connector joints or oxidation issue there (in which case I'd of course do the other channel connector as well..).

Return to CARVER Equipment Repair/Help Forum