Ribbon Repairs ON HOLD

If you have Carver repair questions, or can help other users with repairs, this is the place for it
eddielee

Ribbon Repairs ON HOLD

Post by eddielee » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:34 pm

Toy Maker wrote:Unfortunatlly we have been waiting a very long time for our next batch of Kapton film to continue our repairs.

We placed our order back in May of 2014 and have been waiting ever since.
There have been quite a few technical problems from what ive been told in trying to reproduce this material.
After about 7 months of trying, the fabricator has decided to give up and refund our payment. As of now we are still waiting for the refund the arrive.

Right now I am awaiting a quote from another fabricator that I know can produce this material. We have used them in the past with no issues. Once we have a new quote, the turn around time should be only a few weeks.

Once I have more information I will post it here.

Hi James,

I'd love to try a pair of these cables but I am still waiting for that pair of 48 in ribbons which I ordered and paid in full back in June last year.

It is also would be nice if you reply my subsequent inquiry on their progress.

In case you have forgotten, here is the post to refresh your memory.

Eddie
************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Toy Maker wrote:Yup!!! Got an email from the people that are making the new Kapton just yesterday. From what I've been told in the email, it should be here the 1st week in Jan. I'm told that they were having trouble acquiring some of the materials this time around.
As soon as it arrives we will be getting everyone's ribbons back to them as quickly as possible.

At $1000 per pound, and a 10lb minimum order from Dupont, this stuff's not the easiest thing to get your hands on.
From what I understand, our material is pretty rare being 1/3 of a thousandth thick. The thinnest they even make.

If anything happens sooner, I'll be glad to let you know.

Toy Maker
Puppet Master

Re: CARVERaudio.com Interconnects

Post by Toy Maker » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:06 am

Unfortunately we are STILL waiting for the material to come in....
I know it sucks, but my hands are tied. There are only a very small handful of companies that will even make this material, and I am at their mercy. ](*,)
As I have said before, as soon as we have the material, everyone will get their ribbons back right away.

fill35U
M-400t CUBE

Post by fill35U » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:23 pm

Thank you for the quick update, James!

Anything we can do to encourage the manufacturers to prioritize your order?
Living room system: TGP IV, TX-8r, TD-1400, PT-2400(x6), PM-1.5a(x3), TFM-45(x2), TFM-55, Silver Amazings Mk IV

Spares/projects: C-9, M-400, PM-350(x2), M-1.5t(x2), PT-2400(x2-1/2), PT-1800(x4), TGP I, Architectural True Sub, pm420

pmat
Newbie 50+

Post by pmat » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:08 pm

Wow, that must be a nightmare for you James.
Power is the aphrodisiac of audio

eddielee

Post by eddielee » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:12 pm

Toy Maker wrote:Unfortunately we are STILL waiting for the material to come in....
I know it sucks, but my hands are tied. There are only a very small handful of companies that will even make this material, and I am at their mercy. ](*,)
As I have said before, as soon as we have the material, everyone will get their ribbons back right away.
It is quite obvious to me that your supplier is not co-operating and after seven long months still no signs of the drivers, I can't help but wondering will I
ever in getting them at all.

I was preparing to wait 5-6 weeks lead time as I was told when ordering. Not seven months and waiting. I know Bohlender Graebener 48 in drivers from Parts Express are not as good as your Carver ribbons but at least I can have them in my hand in two weeks time once ordered.

Frankly my patience is running out and therefore I must ask you kindly to refund the payment I made to you, so that I can buy them from PE instead.

An invoice from Paypal will be created and send to you and your prompt attention would be very much appreciated.

Toy Maker
Puppet Master

Post by Toy Maker » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:23 am

fill35U wrote:Thank you for the quick update, James!
Anything we can do to encourage the manufacturers to prioritize your order?

I wish....

Once we have the $$ back I expect the other company should be able to turn the material around pretty quickly.
The huge downfall will be cost. The only reason we went to a new fabricatorin the 1st place was material cost.

More than likely the cost of having to stick with the same fabricator will cause the price of repairs to go up now.
The new fabricator was willing to make the run for the same price we had our last batch made for... Now it looks like we will be stuck paying almost TWICE the price for the same material. The cost of material is passed on through the repairs, but aside from shipping fees our repair prices have stayed the same for years. But unfortunately that might have to change now.

More to come as we move forward.

radioeng2
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Re: Ribbon Repairs ON HOLD

Post by radioeng2 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:04 am

I noticed some comments on another forum a while back that it seems BG has exited the business and stock on the big ribbons was pretty well gone everywhere. Specifically, Parts Express was out or almost at that time. Haven't looked to see if they've removed them from their website.

Interesting as the small ribbons have become more available, plus the AMT style has popped up from a bunch of manufacturers, that yet the big ribbon thing source is now about none to far between at best.

Mark
I was there "At the Fest!" Hope you were too!

Toy Maker
Puppet Master

Post by Toy Maker » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:35 am

Everyone seems to be going small... all the largeer drivers are becoming obsolete it seems.

I am pretty sure parts express is dropping the BG line from what have seen. I was looking at ribbons the other day and there seemed to be fewer and fewer large ribbons and more small ribbons available.

frenchguy
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by frenchguy » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:46 am

Carver Silver 7t mono blocks, Carver M-4.0t & 2 tfm 42,s. ct-6 & ct-17, sda390t,TX11 tuner, jolida jd 100A. JBL L96 & JBL 4401,s W/Ribbon Tweeters, Dared SL-2000A tube preamp, Dared MP-5BT Integrated vacuum tube amp, 2 sets of Carver Amazing Silver speakers, oak & black. Carver Cinema 5.1 subwoofer & Tesla audio Carverfest satellite ribbon speakers & stands & Douglas connection cables

Toy Maker
Puppet Master

Post by Toy Maker » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:01 pm

I wouldn't use them if you GAVE them too me... I had a set once. They sounded horrible!!!!!

You'd have to build a totally new crossover to get them to sound decent.

eddielee

Post by eddielee » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:49 pm

Toy Maker wrote:I wouldn't use them if you GAVE them too me... I had a set once. They sounded horrible!!!!!

You'd have to build a totally new crossover to get them to sound decent.

Be as it may, I of course would prefer your Carver 48 in drivers, but I have to make a decision either for a less optimum driver or
wait in vain as it seems like forever.

Only if a firm date of delivery can be promised otherwise I have to buy them either from PE in the US or BG in Germany.

Return to “CARVER Equipment Repair/Help Forum”