Question about honeycomb woofers

If you have Carver repair questions, or can help other users with repairs, this is the place for it
rooze

Question about honeycomb woofers

Post by rooze » Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:27 pm

Hello and Happy New Year!

I have a pair of amazing originals and one of the woofers has developed a kinda clunking noise. I wonder if this is something a moderately competent person can repair, and if so how one might go about it.

Also, is it okay to simply disconnect the damaged driver and continue to use the speakers until I can source a replacement? I see they're wired in parallel so assume that disconnecting the one driver ought not to cause a problem, but I'm not sure so I thought I'd better ask :-k

Cheers

radioeng2
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Re: Question about honeycomb woofers

Post by radioeng2 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:52 pm

Hi Rooze,

When I hear the "clunking" part I usually think of a woofer bottoming out. If that's happening without heavy, heavy drive then that'd suggest a worn out suspension.

If they're the same age, then others probably won't be far behind. Hope that's not true, but unfortunately, that's likely. At the age they are....

On the other hand, if it's more a scraping sound, then you might buy yourself some more time with flipping it over so the weight is on the other side of the suspension.

The unplugging it....probably won't harm exactly as long as you don't overdrive. But you'll be changing the loading on the crossover, so you'll change the frequency of the crossover point.

Now...how it's wired is the question. I'd have to yield to the more knowledeable here on that. If you just pull the wires (making sure they can't touch anything or each other), then if it's series/parallel you may open the circuit and have a second one stop running too. If all four are in parallel, then the only thing that'll happen is a modest change in frequency of the cross point. If I remember right, it's been said here the original honeycombs were 16 ohms and were all in parallel. If that's right then you'll still have 3 running and probably be ok sonically for a while.

Check and see and report back what happens. Hope you can buy some time and find some replacements!

Mark
I was there "At the Fest!" Hope you were too!

rooze

Re: Question about honeycomb woofers

Post by rooze » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:41 am

Thanks Mark...I appreciate the input.

It's more of a mechanical clunking noise rather than the sound of the driver bottoming out, as if something has come loose inside the unit.

I'll disconnect the thing and run it with three on the one side until I can source a replacement.

Cheers again

Return to “CARVER Equipment Repair/Help Forum”