SD/A360 Belt Replacement

If you have Carver repair questions, or can help other users with repairs, this is the place for it
70chevelle
M-400t CUBE

SD/A360 Belt Replacement

Post by 70chevelle » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:21 pm

Hey all! My CD changer isn't working and I believe it's the belt(s) from what I've researched. (drawer makes noise, won't open and then get an "E" on the screen) I've secured the 2 necessary belts. I can't seem to find a service manual, but it is referenced in some posts. Can anyone give me any guidance for belt replacement?
Main: TFM-45, Sunfire Tube CCC, Maverick DAC, NAD525Bee, Vandy 2C, Laptop
Office: M-500, CT-6, SDA360, Paradigm Studio 20, HRT MSII, PC
HT: Acurus 200x3, HK AVR247, Paradigm Mini Monitors, CC290, Micros, Velodyne DSL3750
Wght Rm: HR732, Paradigm Micros, Pure20
House: Denon AVR1400, Niles spkr box, SpeakerCraft Ceilings, BA A60II's, BA T930's, PC
Bedroom: Yamaha AVR, Panasonic DVD/CD chgr, Paradigm CC50/Micros, Yam sub.
Headphones: AKG Q701's, Sennheiser HD238's
Patio: Yamaha AVR, KLH In/Out Speakers
Misc: HK 330i

70chevelle
M-400t CUBE

Re: SD/A360 Belt Replacement

Post by 70chevelle » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:25 am

OK, so here's the answer to my own post! =D>
Remove the cover
Remove CD holder that is attached to the center of the CD tray.
Eject tray - if you can't do that with the eject button, you'll need to tilt the tray from the rear and look for a white 'key' at about 4 oclock under the tray. with a small screwdriver push the 'key' counter clockwise until the tray releases.
This will give you access to the bus cable for the face plate
Remove the screws that are retaining the face plate. (top, sides and bottom)
Set face plate aside.
Remove silver support bar that face plate attaches to (2 screws on side)
The tray will now lift out.
On the left side as your facing the unit, remove the 2 screws on the tray slides.
Lift the left side and you will be able to access the belt located on the base (front, right, facing unit) and the other belt is on the bottom of the tray.
You will need to remove one screw to install the upper belt, the lower is an easy R&R
Once the screw is removed, pull on the metal retainer to slide the new belt past the 'axle' of the belt pulley. Once you get it past, thread it on the pulley and stretch to the motor pulley.
Do the above in reverse to put back together.

The SD/A 360 is back up and running. Hoping to get another 20 years out of it!

Oh, and don't forget to clean up the inside, q-tip & alcohol to clean the lense and make sure the slides on the laser are lubed.

I got my belts from Studio Sound Electronics. SBM4.2 and SBM4.6 are the part numbers (and sizes) Square Belt Medium 4.2 and 4.6 inches.

Sorry, no pics, I was flying blind.
Main: TFM-45, Sunfire Tube CCC, Maverick DAC, NAD525Bee, Vandy 2C, Laptop
Office: M-500, CT-6, SDA360, Paradigm Studio 20, HRT MSII, PC
HT: Acurus 200x3, HK AVR247, Paradigm Mini Monitors, CC290, Micros, Velodyne DSL3750
Wght Rm: HR732, Paradigm Micros, Pure20
House: Denon AVR1400, Niles spkr box, SpeakerCraft Ceilings, BA A60II's, BA T930's, PC
Bedroom: Yamaha AVR, Panasonic DVD/CD chgr, Paradigm CC50/Micros, Yam sub.
Headphones: AKG Q701's, Sennheiser HD238's
Patio: Yamaha AVR, KLH In/Out Speakers
Misc: HK 330i

radioeng2
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Re: SD/A360 Belt Replacement

Post by radioeng2 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:01 am

Thanks for posting what you did. Sorry nobody had anything specific to throw in beforehand.

Key points of my experience of aligning and replacing laser mechanisms....

1 - Cleaning the lens of debris. This clears up lots of problems...just dust and junk that've fallen on the lens. A dampened q tip swab is good...but be very careful to NOT push down on the lens. Just wipe it clean...very gently! Again, without pressing down.

2 - Clean and lub the rails. That's the other thing that causes lots of problems. The mechanism has to slide up and down the rails and a little stick tends to make it bind and jump causing read issues. White lithium grease type lube. And as small amount as possible on a q tip. Just get 'em clean where the old lube gets hardened and full of dust and debris. Then try to have the smallest coating as you can.

3 - Check the nylon gears and again looked for the gunked up old grease. Smallest amount of lube is all you ever want.

4 - Laser mechanisms have only so many hours. They get weak when they age. If you have an alignment guide, it'll maybe get you a little more time if your lucky. But generally, it just has to be replaced. If one isn't available, then it's done.

But even if you can't breathe new life in....the good news is they've gotten better and better sonically. So while it's sad to see equipment you care about reach the end of its use, sometimes it is just time to move on.

Glad it sounds like belts fixed you up in this case!

Mark
I was there "At the Fest!" Hope you were too!

Return to “CARVER Equipment Repair/Help Forum”