Recap TFM-55x vs TFM-55

If you have Carver repair questions, or can help other users with repairs, this is the place for it
Don
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Recap TFM-55x vs TFM-55

Post by Don » Sun May 13, 2018 10:21 am

Does anybody know if the caps are the same in the TFM-55x as the TFM-55? Have not had time to pop the hood yet to see what the number is on the caps? Before I pull them out of the top audio rack, thought I would take a stab and ask?
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP BILL D. RIP WRABBIT

jjptkd
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Re: Recap TFM-55x vs TFM-55

Post by jjptkd » Sun May 13, 2018 4:45 pm

I don't know the answer to your question just remember Rita at Bob's old repair shop complaining about working on the newer "X" series amplifiers, I guess the boards were mounted upside down and had to be removed to work on them and then re-installed to test them. I would guess just replacing old caps and not having to trouble shoot anything wouldn't be as big a deal, good luck with the refurb!
Oppo Sonica DAC
Sunfire TG-III
Sunfire 300x2
Klipsch Chorus II

Don
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Re: Recap TFM-55x vs TFM-55

Post by Don » Tue May 15, 2018 12:47 pm

jjptkd wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 4:45 pm
I don't know the answer to your question just remember Rita at Bob's old repair shop complaining about working on the newer "X" series amplifiers, I guess the boards were mounted upside down and had to be removed to work on them and then re-installed to test them. I would guess just replacing old caps and not having to trouble shoot anything wouldn't be as big a deal, good luck with the refurb!
Thanks for the head's up. Once I pop the hood I will know a little more.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP BILL D. RIP WRABBIT

Return to “CARVER Equipment Repair/Help Forum”