Sunfire--> Display Lights Out

If you have Carver repair questions, or can help other users with repairs, this is the place for it
BillD
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend
Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post by BillD » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:14 pm

WHy don't you ask him if he'll just sell you the amp - how much does he want for it?
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

Post by treitz3 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:56 pm

BillD wrote:I just had a thought. If you send something to Sunfire, can you request that Rita works on it?
You can always request, but it most likely will not be honored as she works in the sub-woofer department.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

tfm75
SILVER-7t

Re: Sunfire--> Display Lights Out

Post by tfm75 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:38 pm

Jesuscookies wrote:So I found someone selling a Signature amp and processor. However, he says that the lights on the fronts of both pieces of equipment are out. A few were very dim and then just died.

Is this an easy fix? Does anyone know?

Just a thought? When I opened my TGP II the lights on the front panel are strung like Xmas tree lights. Just maybe there is a loose connection that runs them all! Just ask the seller if the Pre works perfect as a unit and the lights are the only problem :-k

Jesuscookies
M-400t CUBE

Post by Jesuscookies » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:00 pm

tfm75 wrote:
Jesuscookies wrote:So I found someone selling a Signature amp and processor. However, he says that the lights on the fronts of both pieces of equipment are out. A few were very dim and then just died.

Is this an easy fix? Does anyone know?

Just a thought? When I opened my TGP II the lights on the front panel are strung like Xmas tree lights. Just maybe there is a loose connection that runs them all! Just ask the seller if the Pre works perfect as a unit and the lights are the only problem :-k

Thanks for the suggestion. The unit does work perfectly otherwise. Sadly, I think the best thing for me to do in this situation is just be patient. I want the 400 anyway and this amp is only a 200 x 5 unit.

Anyone know where to get a deal on an amp? :D

fill35U
M-400t CUBE

Post by fill35U » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:41 pm

I recently bought a Sunfire Theater Grand Processor IV. Like many others, her yellow lights were very dim. Cycling through the "Panel Dim" settings with the front button only made things dimmer, except when the setting looped from off to fully bright the lights briefly flashed. The blue lights all worked fine. I had heard of this problem before, and a Web search turned up many people with the same problem - but no fixes.

This bugged me, and I wanted to fix it before I went through all the trouble of swapping her into the rack. So last night...

The yellow lights are series-connected LED's, something like 15 of them. At roughly 2V per LED, that meant I was looking for a roughly 30V DC supply. But the regulators on the main board are +/-15V, 5V, 3.3VDC. The fuses were for lower volt AC from the transformer. But the transformer *is* labeled for a 33V 0.1A tap (brown lead) common with the center tap (black) of the 17V-0-17V winding. I couldn't think of anything besides the LED circuit that would need that kind of voltage. I couldn't find a fuse for that leg, but the 33VAC is carried through the ribbon to the display board on two wires.

Tracking the voltage at each LED led to the far left of the display board, where one of the 33VAC runs headed as well. Two diodes and a couple of caps. Close inspection found the smaller one, C22 (10uF 50V) looked fine on top, but she was blown out and leaking underneath. Replaced C22 with a high quality new cap, and the yellow lights are now working perfectly!

A very simple fix, but it's such a common problem I wanted to share so anybody with a soldering iron could get their lights back. I'm guessing it would be very similar for a TGP III.

Tips: when removing the top cover, lift up the back end only. Rotate the front onto the face. The ribbon cable from the main board to the display has almost zero slack, so don't yank it! With the cover rotated up, disconnect the ribbon cable to separate the to cover to work on the display. Remove the screws holding the main display board in. Leave the volume/selector board in place, just rotate the display board up to the right side of the cover(to your left as you are now looking from behind) to access the component side. Do not jostle or tilt the cover with the display board loose, as there are a couple dozen small clear plastic "pegs" (selector buttons) that will fall out. Lots of fancy sensitive digital circuits in these processors- work slowly, neatly, and with ESD precautions.

No pics, because my phone decided to auto-update software this morning, and wiped itself clean...

TLDR: Cap C22 on the far bottom left of the display board goes bad, replace.
Living room system: TGP IV, TX-8r, TD-1400, PT-2400(x6), PM-1.5a(x3), TFM-45(x2), TFM-55, Silver Amazings Mk IV

Spares/projects: C-9, M-400, PM-350(x2), M-1.5t(x2), PT-2400(x2-1/2), PT-1800(x4), TGP I, Architectural True Sub, pm420

Return to “CARVER Equipment Repair/Help Forum”