490t and 390t Tube replacement ????

If you have Carver repair questions, or can help other users with repairs, this is the place for it
Toy Maker
Puppet Master

490t and 390t Tube replacement ????

Post by Toy Maker » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:13 pm

Has onyone here actually replaced their tubes ??
If so, which ones did you use, and what were the results ??
If the originals are still working fine, is there any real point to change them?

I read this thread, but it doesn't say much.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5124&hilit=tube+replacement

F1nut
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Re: 490t and 390t Tube replacement ????

Post by F1nut » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:41 pm

If the originals are still working fine, is there any real point to change them?
Absolutely! Different brands of tubes have different sonic signatures. That's why tube rolling is so much fun, you get to dial in the sound to your liking.

I don't have anything that uses the 6DJ8 or it's variants, so I can't really suggest any to try.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Make America Great Again

Toy Maker
Puppet Master

Post by Toy Maker » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:07 pm

That brings up a few other questions I had had for a while.....
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5441

rolereversal
TFM-25

Post by rolereversal » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:31 pm

The 390t we got has the Sovtek 6922's in it. I think they are great...sorry I can't compare them to any others.
But that said the biggest difference for me was heard when I re-arranged the living room,the speakers use to be in front of the window facing the long part of the room(and under a peaked roof) to now sitting in the center facing the accross the rooms shorter walls.One speaker now is under the peaked roof(12') and the other sits under the flat roof (8'). It has taken a bit of moving them about(farther apart and toe in angles really are different) to get the sweet spot to work but I really like the sound much better. I have a bigger sound stage now in width and depth.
Don't know if those are other thoughts you had on listening for that musical bliss, but I am really having fun moving things about.
Always keeping the hubby wondering what will be moved next. :lol:

drewideth

Post by drewideth » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:57 pm

If you are using a 6DJ8 you can also use an ECC88 (European) or a 6922. Coming from a pro-sound viewpoint, we change tubes that are usually over 7 to ten years old, the fillaments after prolonged use will have a tendency to arc. There are not too many tube manufacturers left, but of who is left I like the JJ spiral top. If you are interested I can get you the JJ's for $8 a piece, old stock for $12 a piece (no telling the manufacturer), or I'm sure I have a few matched pairs laying around that you can have.

DaveS
The OverLord of CarverAudio.com

Post by DaveS » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:14 am

I was told bu aguy that really knew his stuff the tubes to get are a MATCHED set of Military Softech 6922. They charge you about $5 extra per tube but it`s the way to go.
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests”.
- Patrick Henry

Return to “CARVER Equipment Repair/Help Forum”