power switch for CT-28 AV surround sound preamp

If you have Carver repair questions, or can help other users with repairs, this is the place for it
evilroy

power switch for CT-28 AV surround sound preamp

Post by evilroy » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:51 pm

Can anyone tell me the name of the manufacturer of the power switch for the CT-28 AV preamp? I've got the numbers off the old switch and there some logo's on the switch, one is an M done in a unique way with kind of ( ) around it (M) and the other is a large C with SA inside the C, (boy, if I only knew what the hell I was talking about huh) anyway, can anyone help...Thanks...evilRoy

OBI56
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Re: power switch for CT-28 AV surround sound preamp

Post by OBI56 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:23 am

EvilRoy, the C with SA inside the C is the easy one, it stands for CSA, Canadian Standards Association, similar to the UL (Underwriters Labs) but much higher electrical safety standards. The lack of CSA certification is why many US built electronics are not legal for sale/service in Canada (back in the 70s people were illegally importing Sony equipment not available in Canada from the US and Sony refused to service or repair any of it because they deliberately made 2 versions; 1 for the US only and the CSA version which was legal everywhere else in the world). UL and CSA certification mean that your insurance company will usually cover you if your house burns down because of a fire in a UL or CSA certified piece of equipment. No UL or CSA certification has been used thousands of times by unsurance companies to refuse coverage.

As for the other logo, a picture would really help unless 1 of our techs recognizes it from the description alone.
Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.

evilroy

Post by evilroy » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:53 pm

thanks for the reply, no one else has replied to either of my posts except you, I don't know how to, oops, I just figured out how to upload the image. The lettering is so small I don't know if you can blow it up to be able to read it or not, I had to use a magnifying glass to read it. Hope it helps, thanks again...evilroy
Attachments
Carver switch 001.jpg
Carver switch 001.jpg (500.93 KiB) Viewed 1337 times

BillD
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend
Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post by BillD » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:43 pm

I brightened it up a little and read that it's an ESB82106V MM5-2, for whatever that's worth. Google doesn't seem to get me anywhere. I don't know who the manufacturer that has the M in the rounded off square is. Does anybody have a manual with a parts list?
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

OBI56
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by OBI56 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:21 pm

Not me Bill, if I had had the manual I would have found the switch in there, which is why I asked for a picture. BTW evilroy, not everyone on here visits daily and your post was only late Friday night, so please give it a day or 2 so more of our techs who might know can see this thread.

As you know Carver Coirporation has not been in business for the past 15 years so as many of these units become older ad need parts and service, the options are getting fewer and farther between. There is only 1 service shop left that still has almost all of the original parts for Carver equipment, but they do not resell them and only use them for their own service needs. That pretty much leaves this forum as one of the only places left to coem for information and help with Carver gear. Everyone on here is here for only one reason, sharing and learning as much as possible about Carver equipment. We help each other out whenever possible and try to collect as much information as possible for our fellow forum members.

We do the best we can with what we've got and things can only get better as time goes on.

evilroy

Post by evilroy » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:48 pm

I didn't mean to sound ungrateful, because I'm surely not, I've worked 70 hrs this week and I'm tired, and trying to get things done after work is frustrating. I too am here to learn and share and pass on to the future music lovers. I just need to FOCUS. Thanks, patience will be practiced...evilRoy

OBI56
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by OBI56 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:20 pm

Hey EvilRoy, you aren't the first person to come on here not getting an answer in the first hour and you are most definitely not going to be the last. More and more people join this site every week not knowing exactly how things happen around here. We are a pretty laid back bunch so sometimes things do take some time unlike many service departments where people are entitled to immediate answers because they are paying for it.

The only reason I went into the long and convoluted explanation is that it hadn't been done in a few months and that newbies might be more likely to notice it in a recent thread.

Mayank
Newbie 50+

Post by Mayank » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:04 pm

evilroy:

The manufacturer is Panasonic-ECG.

I believe the ESB82 series have long been discontinued (most manufacturers keep upgrading their product line regularly with newer technology, designs or materials). Looking at the picture you uploaded, I think you should be able to substitute another switch from the ESB92 series. Make sure you match the correct ratings (5A 250V in the picture) and the type - SPST/DPDT etc.

You should be able to easily get the ESB series switches at Digi-Key or Mouser.

Good Luck.
Mayank 8)

evilroy

Post by evilroy » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:09 am

Thank you for the information, it's helpful. I got lucky and won the Ebay auction for Carver parts that were gathered from an electronics repair place that went out of business, lucky find and win. Thanks for the reply...evilRoy

Return to “CARVER Equipment Repair/Help Forum”