FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:48 am

Carver HTR-880 troubleshooting

<<

BryanNance

Post Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:54 pm

Carver HTR-880 troubleshooting

Howdy,

I have a Carver HTR-880 Home Theater Receiver, and I've had it for several years. I have JBL speakers connected to it, and for the past few months, every time I've turned it on, it comes on for a second with a little bit of hissing in the speakers, and then there's a loud POP and the speakers are silent, and the display on the Carver says "Protect."

I don't have the owner's manual, so does anyone know what the problem might be?

Thanks,
Bryan

please email me at brynagtr@hotmail.com
<<

audioguy1

Post Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:52 am

If you're lucky it's bad speakers or wire. Un-hook the inputs and outputs and turn it on and see if it will idle. (very important to un-hook the inputs so you don't blow the output transistors by running the amp w/o any load hooked up!!!) If so it's the speakers or speaker wires. If it still goes into protection w/o any inputs or outputs, send it off to the repair shop.
<<

BryanNance

Post Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:26 pm

thanks

I unhooked everything, and it went into Protect mode (which, by the way, the manual says nothing about). Then, I turned it off and on again, and it hasn't said "protect" since.

So, I tried hooking everything up again. I had a vhs player running through the system, and no sound came through the speakers. I turned the volume all the way up on the Carver and heard the very faint sound of audio from the vhs player, and I could hear it no matter what input the receiver was set on. I even tried just connecting one speaker by itself to the Carver, and still no sound.

Weird. Any ideas?
Bryan.

Return to CARVER Equipment Repair/Help Forum