What do the LEDs on a M-1.5t show in normal standby mode ?

If you have Carver repair questions, or can help other users with repairs, this is the place for it
gdb
SILVER-7t

What do the LEDs on a M-1.5t show in normal standby mode ?

Post by gdb » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:46 pm

I would like someone to explain the normal sequence that a M1.5s LEDs go thru at power up and what should be illuminated during standby ( no signal fed,nothing else connected)
on a properly functioning amp. Some ebay descriptions only list what was observed in the LEDs when plugged in and nothing else. If I can learn what to look for I might be able to set a maximum bid level. If one is not too bad off, and cheap enough, I'll send it to Rolland for a rehab. Thanks gdb

OBI56
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Re: What do the LEDs on a M-1.5t show in normal standby mode ?

Post by OBI56 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:01 pm

M-1-5t lights.JPG
M-1-5t lights.JPG (150.34 KiB) Viewed 1308 times
Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.

garcianc
TFM-35

Post by garcianc » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:44 pm

Also, when you power down the LEDs briefly light up and fade to off from bottom to top while the 15th LED is illuminated until the unit is completely powered off.

The blue monkey

Post by The blue monkey » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:23 pm

most of my listening is done with the lighs never moving but with the power hungrey walshes the will dance a little when turned up.

jamie

corkdust
Newbie 50+

Post by corkdust » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:23 am

on mine (until recently) on powering up the bottom led's on the right side come on. As the volume increases they start dancing. On powering down the same two bottom led's stay on and the fault indicator light on the lower left comes on and then they all fade away.

gdb
SILVER-7t

Post by gdb » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:40 am

garcianc wrote:Also, when you power down the LEDs briefly light up and fade to off from bottom to top while the 15th LED is illuminated until the unit is completely powered off.

Hi and thanks garcianc, do they go thru a up and down or other "cycle" when first powered up? If they do, is the
display cycle the same when no speakers are connected? Are the two bottom ones always on even if no speakers or preamp is connected? I'm only familiar with a TFM's meters and haven't ever seen an M unit. Thanks again,gdb

garcianc
TFM-35

Post by garcianc » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:18 pm

gdb wrote:Hi and thanks garcianc, do they go thru a up and down or other "cycle" when first powered up?
You are welcome.

No, the LEDs do not cycle when powering up. In my amp, the 15th LED lights up for just an instant and the bottom two from the two columns of LEDs light up solid (without blinking) and stay solid whether you have a signal and whether you have speakers connected. If you put your ear against the amp, there may be a little bit of a hum coming from the amp itself (not the speakers), although some owners claim not to hear anything. Also, in my amp/speaker combination I can reach very loud volumes before the second LED ever blinks. Again, it is normal for no lights, other than the bottom two, to light up at all even at high volumes, depending on what speakers you are driving. The only other thing that I can think to mention about the LEDs, and please don't be insulted because I had to explain this to a "smart" friend, is that when they do "dance", they don't have to be synchronized. In other words, the left column of LEDs is for the left channel and the right column is for the right channel - therefore, it is normal for one side to behave different than the other. All this that I have described, as far as I know, is the normal behavior for this amp.

I have had my m1.5t for over 20 years and it has been professionally serviced at the slightest hint of trouble, twice by CARVER and once by Roland. If would recommend Roland (if he is still in the business) if you come across an amp the needs to be refurbished.

Throughout that span of owning my amp, I have occasionally "explored its limits" and never (not even once) had the top LED light up - even while the paint was being melted off the walls, my speaker cones were about to become projectiles, and the neighbors were manning their pitch forks and torches.

m1.5t story time: When my kids were babies, I used to live in military housing next door to a yacht club in Hawaii (I know, tough life). This club would refuse to obey the noise ordnance (11pm) even after I would ask them repeatedly. The base police would not come to talk to them either. So one night I proceeded to move my m1.5t amp and speakers facing the windows. I added an equalizer to the mix to lower the demand on the amp at the low frequencies. Then I played some of my wife's most obnoxious CDs (Yanni, etc.) as loud as I would dare while staring at those LEDs. The police were at my house within 5 minutes based on a report from a neighbor two blocks away. Even then, the top LED never came on. The police were not impressed, but for the next 8 years that I lived there, the club never had another party after 11pm.

gdb
SILVER-7t

Post by gdb » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:39 pm

garcianc, gotcha, the TFM meters don't move in "lockstep" either, but according to whats being reproduced on each channel. I spent the 1970s on St.Thomas in the USVI, and know only too well about yacht clubs and how they freely impose rules, but are reluctant to abide by them. Two bare breasted lady friends once picked up a stuffy YC official
(deck chair and all) and hurled him into a swimming pool right after an "invitational" regatta. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks again!! gdb

Return to “CARVER Equipment Repair/Help Forum”