Carver silver edition speaker ribbons

If you have Carver repair questions, or can help other users with repairs, this is the place for it
Michael02

Carver silver edition speaker ribbons

Post by Michael02 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:29 pm

Well, I have a pair of Carver silver edition speakers and would like to know how repairable they are, or should I ask to what extent will it be better if their just replaced? What I have going on is the ribbons seem to have deteriorated as though their flaking a tiny bit in one or two spots. Also at the top end of one of them it sort of has a small diagonal ripple. They have in fact been in this same condition for 5 years with no progression towards becoming any worse nor has this affected their sound quality. Should I start looking for new ribbons, try to repair them, or just leave them alone? These particular ribbons appear to be about 48" long. Are these ribbons even available? Thanks for any suggestions...............Michael

engtaz
"TAZ"

Re: Carver silver edition speaker ribbons

Post by engtaz » Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:46 pm

Welcome Michael02. I can't answer your question so I can say is welcome.
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use

Toy Maker
Puppet Master

Post by Toy Maker » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:06 pm

New "old stock" ribbons are available... but you'd be best off just rebuilding the ones you have.
Keep running them till they either stop, or sound bad enough to rebuild them.

Dad rebuilds them...

http://www.carveraudio.com/ribbonrepair.htm

Michael02

Post by Michael02 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:04 pm

Thanks guys. I suspected running them until I hear a compromise would be the case, yet at the same time if they are rebuildable I wasn't sure if going too far could permanently damage them either. Actually, this shows how unfamiliar I am with some Carver equipment even though I've owned them for many years. I am thankfull none the less for having access to so many Carver enthusiast's!

And of course...Thanks for the link too!

Return to “CARVER Equipment Repair/Help Forum”