FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:07 am

carver ct26V will not power up

<<

metalhead

Post Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:28 pm

carver ct26V will not power up

Hi Folks, Was wondering if anyone here could possibly tell me what is wrong with my ct 26V preamp. It will not power up by using the button on the unit or the remote, No lights no power at all. Are there any internal fuses or something in the easy fix range that I could look for? Any Help would be greatly appreciated.
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:22 pm

Re: carver ct26V will not power up

I don't see any fuse on this unit, but I could be wrong, if so it would be on the back panel somewhere. A few things to check; It could be plugged into a switched convenience outlet, line cord is disconnected, poor fit between the plug and wall receptacle, or power is off at wall receptacle (check with tester or lamp). Also when power button is pushed "on" does your standby lamp (front of panel below power button) come on? These are things I can think of, if it involves something internal after these test let us know. Good luck
<<

gdb

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:35 pm

If you're looking for replacements you might be interested in this deal. Much better than all in ones IMO ! :)

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl? ... hing-TX-2-
^^^^^^LINK^^^^^^
<<

metalhead

Post Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:49 pm

Hello Jag,
Thanks for the info, I just checked my wall outlet and it is working fine, None of the lights including the standby lamp on the tuner pre amp comes on when I push the on/off button, I even tried the remote with fresh batteries and nothing. It does not make any noises when plugged in as well.

Jag_97470 wrote:I don't see any fuse on this unit, but I could be wrong, if so it would be on the back panel somewhere. A few things to check; It could be plugged into a switched convenience outlet, line cord is disconnected, poor fit between the plug and wall receptacle, or power is off at wall receptacle (check with tester or lamp). Also when power button is pushed "on" does your standby lamp (front of panel below power button) come on? These are things I can think of, if it involves something internal after these test let us know. Good luck
<<

snarffydoggy

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:35 am

There is possibly a fuse inside
snarffydoggy
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:19 am

Fuses on preamps are commonly internal as they do not tend to blow very often and when they do blow it is usually a sign of something else gone awry. They can also sometimes blow out from "old age", so if you replace the fuse and the new one blows right away, then you may have to have the unit looked at.
Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:33 pm

Thanks OBI, hey metalhead, I'm glad OBI replied to this. Pull top cover off and look for fuse, make sure you replace it with the correct amp fuse, should be written on fuse. Let us know, good luck.
<<

metalhead

Post Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:50 am

I pulled the cover off and the unit has three 125 Amp fuses, All were ok. So I may have to junk the damn thing and find another. I would like to find a nice used ct17 preamp tuner unit. Does anyone know where I could find one? I would even take another ct26 as well, I just need to find one asap so I can listen to some Music!

Jag_97470 wrote:Thanks OBI, hey metalhead, I'm glad OBI replied to this. Pull top cover off and look for fuse, make sure you replace it with the correct amp fuse, should be written on fuse. Let us know, good luck.
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:09 am

Well, I certainly doubt that they were 125 AMP fuses, but that's beside the point. Do you have a volt meter? It might be interesting to find out how far into the unit the voltage is getting into the unit.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

frankieD

Frankie The Mouth

Post Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:19 pm

[quote="metalhead"]I pulled the cover off and the unit has three 125 Amp fuses, All were ok. So I may have to junk the damn thing and find another. I would like to find a nice used ct17 preamp tuner unit. Does anyone know where I could find one? I would even take another ct26 as well, I just need to find one asap so I can listen to some Music!

I think you should try a little harder to find the problem but if you can't and still want it I have a pretty mint CT17 I'm not using. I hate to let it go (OCCD) but if you want it I'll sell it for $200.00 including shipping. Has remote & manuel.

FrankieD
<<

metalhead

Post Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:03 pm

Frankie,
I Do not plan on fixing my unit, I live in a small town and there is nobody around here that would have a clue how to fix it, Besides I need a new one anyway. I will Buy your Ct-17 pending the PM I sent you,
Thanks! =P~

frankieD wrote:
metalhead wrote:I pulled the cover off and the unit has three 125 Amp fuses, All were ok. So I may have to junk the damn thing and find another. I would like to find a nice used ct17 preamp tuner unit. Does anyone know where I could find one? I would even take another ct26 as well, I just need to find one asap so I can listen to some Music!

I think you should try a little harder to find the problem but if you can't and still want it I have a pretty mint CT17 I'm not using. I hate to let it go (OCCD) but if you want it I'll sell it for $200.00 including shipping. Has remote & manuel.

FrankieD
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:48 am

I love this place....

Way to go, frankie..
=D>
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

gdb

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:46 pm

Instead of throwing it away....you might want to send it to Bob for a $170 refurb. while still buying the replacement. You just CAN'T have too many pieces of Carver gear, and having backups is a great feeling!! :lol: Click on the link below for info
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7093
<<

ViperZ

M-400t CUBE

Post Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:00 am

metalhead, could you please check your message boxes? I might be interested in buying your CT-26v, or just the remote.

Thanks!
<<

metalhead

Post Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:09 pm

Viperz,
I Sent you a PM the other day regarding the Ct26V, I ended up selling it to a local guy that likes to tinker with audio electronics, Sorry.

I Just Sent FrankieD payment for a nice Ct17 preamp that I really Wanted in the first place.Can't wait to get it!
Thanks everyone for the great info and help, this message Board is to Awesome!

ViperZ wrote:metalhead, could you please check your message boxes? I might be interested in buying your CT-26v, or just the remote.

Thanks!
Next

Return to CARVER Equipment Repair/Help Forum