FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:14 am

TFM-55x cuts out at low to moderate volume levels

<<

johnsearchwell

Post Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:14 am

TFM-55x cuts out at low to moderate volume levels

I am pushing a pair of Polk RTi12 with a Carver TFM-55x power amplifier and a Carver CT-29v preamplifier. The problem is that when I initially turn on the system it plays at low to moderate volume levels, but cuts out intermittently for about five to ten seconds at a time. This stops after about a half hour or once the amp warms up. Does anyone have any idea as to what the problem is or what I can do to remedy it?

Thanks,
Johnsearchwell
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:36 am

Re: TFM-55x cuts out at low to moderate volume levels

Hi John, this is the wrong area of the forum to be asking such a technical question in (it is usually for introducing yourself to fellow forum members). You will receive more attention if you repost this in the Repairs section where the technical type people who might know how to fix your problem hang out. the only other people who regularly hang out in this section of the forum are the welcome wagon .... O:)
Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.
<<

Konakanedog

Post Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:03 am

Hi John Any news /answers to your Carver TFM cutting out? Seems I have the same problem with mine. Only cuts out for a fraction of a sec though when volume is asked for! On return it hits hard! My Amp is a TFM 45 I also have a bulging cap ! So it is sitting on the bench waiting new caps and parts to bring it back.
I have been told a recap is in order for mine. I am sure their is a list of parts to replace on these aging High power amps to bring up to spec and return reliability! Dirty or faulty relay can cause cut out? Then bias and bench. Checking DC V is always a good start. I will have to wait for a Service manual as i look for answers. Good luck with yours!.
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:07 am

Welcome Konakanedog
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

anatech

Post Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:14 pm

Hi johnsearchwell,
While playing at low volume, lightly tap the two relays at the rear of the PCB. Use a plastic object like a dry toothbrush. One relay is very close to the AC filter, careful you don't get a shock!

Anyway, you may be able to get the sound to cut in and out. If that is the case, replace the speaker relay(s).

-Chris
You did what???!
<<

Konakanedog

Post Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:46 pm

Hello Hello Hello tap tap tap Is this thing working? John are you there?

Return to CARVER Equipment Repair/Help Forum