FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:36 am

M1.0t Turn on problem.

<<

tpsretard

Post Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:23 am

M1.0t Turn on problem.

Hello all. i am glad i found this place.

I have a few carver amps that need some TLC. the main one is my 1.0T and then a M400t

Here i will talk about my 1.0T.
i got it from a friend that had it from new. but he got rid of it because of a problem it developed. it would turn on slow. by this i meen. When you turn on the switch, you could not here the turn on buzz from the MAG Coil. and the 2 leds will turn on with a slow illumination. If you left the amp like this is would eventually turn on. and play wonderfully. the bass is tight and sounds wonderful at high and low volumes.

Now i thought i would ask here as i found u all wonderful carver fanatics like my self.
I am comfortable around electronics, i know enough about carver to know it is no ordinary amp. If i do not get anything back from you all, i will whip out the viriac and short the tric to see if everything lives. but i am prity shore it is the power supply acting up. a mind tells me it might the opto coupler but it is a little bit of a wild guess..

Thanks in advance..
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:04 am

Re: M1.0t Turn on problem.

Shorting the triac = no more Mag Coil

RichP714 is THE M-1.0t expert.
Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:05 am

DO NOT SHORT THE TRIAC!!!!!
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

tpsretard

Post Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:07 am

i know if you short the triac you loose the control over the mag coil. that is what the variac (variable output transformer) is used for, you bring it up with about 25volts ac and you can use that to find critical faults.

Thanks for watching out though..
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:27 am

Welcome tpsretard
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

BillD

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:03 pm

Send it to RichP714 http://carvermk2.com/ or have him walk you through a troubleshoot. The problem with shorting the triac is that you get full cycle through the field coil. Even with a variac, it doesn't like crossing through zero, which it will do. That field coil is really a very light duty device (not much iron).
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

tpsretard

Post Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:11 pm

Hi BillD, i have been reading through a lot of stuff here in the last little bit. RichP714 seems to really know a lot on this amp. once i get this repaired i might do some of the upgrades my self :)

I know they do not like to cross through zero. but it will still work, i learnt all but the hard way with an M400, i was given 2 years ago. one was...well...butchered by some one else. so i figured nothing wrong with leaning from it as i could not destroy it anymore.. BOY WAS I WRONG!! But after about 3 months and a lot of patience, it works to this day still all though i am sure it needs a good going over.

i really hope RichP714 or some one else that seems to know a lot about these 1.0ts posts here, i am sure i can do it my self. (i hope that is not famous last words)

I almost wish i could get hold of Bob him self, i know he has vacationed where i live. in Barbados (little island in the Caribbean sea).
<<

BillD

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:12 pm

Been to Barbados a couple of times. Stayed at Sandy Lane. Very nice place.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

tpsretard

Post Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:34 am

OK so after getting the M400t running i pulled the 1.0t from storage, and well now it is worst!! even leaving it for a bit it will not turn on at all..

So i opened her up to see what was happening, there is only about 2v AC going into the coil..
my first thought was O GOD, i have fried outputs. so i tested them all nothing wrong with them.
Next i jumped the triac and verified i has 2 working channels. even with a current limited variac this amp sounds wonderful at low volumes...

So my problem is just the power supply it would seem

I am hoping to get some input from RichP71 as he seems to be the guru with the 1.0t's on this forum..
PLEASE help me out :)
<<

TNRabbit

Post Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:11 am

*bump*
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

birdyman

Post Tue May 12, 2009 9:19 pm

tpsretard wrote:Hello all. i am glad i found this place.

I have a few carver amps that need some TLC. the main one is my 1.0T and then a M400t

Here i will talk about my 1.0T.
i got it from a friend that had it from new. but he got rid of it because of a problem it developed. it would turn on slow. by this i meen. When you turn on the switch, you could not here the turn on buzz from the MAG Coil. and the 2 leds will turn on with a slow illumination. If you left the amp like this is would eventually turn on. and play wonderfully. the bass is tight and sounds wonderful at high and low volumes

Because your amp turns on eventually, there are not thing wrong in triac and opto coupler unit. You need to think about possibilities of some thing is driving optocoupler too hard when unit is cold. You need to check regulator IC 301 and faulty op amp ic 101. First of all disconnect gain stage op amp MC101, MC102, Mc103 and see if your amp comes on right away as you trun it on. If it does, check for gain stage. If it does not, suspect IC301. Do not short triac that can easly compound problem by not having any protection.
Good luck

Return to CARVER Equipment Repair/Help Forum