FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:19 pm

Rattling in AL IV Platinum

<<

megasat16

TFM-25

Post Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:42 pm

Re: Rattling in AL IV Platinum

F1nut wrote:I'm pretty sure the oak panels have a lacquer finish, therefore tung oil should not be used, just wax them if you want.

I have Plat MK IV in Golden Oak that is just plain oil soaked and no lacquer. Tung oil works best on it. I don't know if there is ever a lacquer finish oak in the factory made version.

I also have Plat in black gloss with lacquer finish.
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:45 pm

megasat16 wrote: I don't know if there is ever a lacquer finish oak in the factory made version.
I don't recall ever having seen one.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:07 am

megasat16 wrote:
I also have Plat in black gloss with lacquer finish.

Not lacquer, it's Polyurethane Acrylic Enamel, which is car paint.

In my defense...LOL, I have only seen one pair of oak Plat's, but more than a few black ones.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:54 am

Well, tung oil is a finish, like shellac. It hardens with exposure to air. I think I'd use wax, myself.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

frankieD

Frankie The Mouth

Post Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:22 pm

Being the lazy SOB I am I use Pledge on my Oak Silvers.

Works fine!

FrankieD
<<

Anatoray

Post Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:44 pm

Mine are the piano black, which I guess has the car paint? That's what my cousin said. I have Zymol, so I guess I'll use that once the panels are off. Didn't get a chance to remove them this weekend, got bogged down with work and other things. I'll try to get them off tomorrow.
<<

Anatoray

Post Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:20 pm

Ok, i removed the front panel, and don't see any kind of rotting foam in any of the woofers. Do I also need to remove them and check their backs? Or can i do that by removing the back grill?
<<

skip

aka (Sasquach)

Post Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:10 am

Go ahead and remove the back also. Check for loose braces in the back grill cover frame, and make sure none of the wires are touching the woofer cones. Check the condition of the caps in the crossover while you're in there for signs of overheating. Check the coil connections to the woofer cones also to make sure none have separated. With the covers off, it's the perfect time to shine up the finish on the speakers.
Sasquatch
TnRabbit's Assistant Official OCCD Enabler.

How long a minute is, depends on what side of the bathroom door you're on.
<<

Anatoray

Post Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:42 pm

Ok, I have removed the back grills from both speakers, so I could reference the non-rattling one to see if anything was loose. Nothing is loose, and nothing appears to be burned out, or rotting. Now, when I play them with the grills off, there is no rattle at all, so I can only assume that somewhere along the grills, a screw was loose or something, but i did not notice anything during removal. I will have to do some more examining and testing with the known rattling tracks to see if I'm missing soemthing somwhere.
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:59 pm

I even know what brand of paint they were using :-"
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it 'cause nobody else will

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:24 pm

I heard it through the grapevine that it was Dupont. Correct?

Sounds like it's definitely the grill or associated screws/joints at this point Anatoray. Glad to hear that you are miking progress. =D>
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

skip

aka (Sasquach)

Post Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:37 am

As I mentioned mine developed a buzz due to one of the plywood blocks in the frame corners being loose. The mounting screws turn into these blocks. I used gorilla glue to re-attach the block. Before remounting the grills, squirt a bit of silicon sealant into the screw holes in the grill frames and let it dry. The holes in the soft wood wallow out and won't hold the screws tight and the caulking will insure the screws get good bite in the frame.
Sasquatch

<<

Anatoray

Post Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:10 pm

Three blocks were broken/loose, so I glued them back into place and replaced the grills. There is no more rattle no matter how loud i play them or how low the bass hits, so it appears that was the problem. Thank you everyone for your help.
<<

skip

aka (Sasquach)

Post Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:03 am

Glad it was something simple, now just sit back and enjoy. Took me forever to figure out the buzz in mine was coming from the frame brace blocks. That's why I love this forum so much. You can safely wager that if you have a problem, someone else on the forum has dealt with it in the past and can offer a fix.
Sasquatch

<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:28 am

Skip, is there any downside to just running the Plats with the back OFF (other than SAF, which is already shot to hell with their size :D )?
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
PreviousNext

Return to CARVER Equipment Repair/Help Forum