FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:53 am

TFM-42 help

<<

wkathol

Post Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:51 am

TFM-42 help

I just purchased this amp. I just hooked it up. Turned it on and everything was great. Turned it off and moved the av tower back a little so it wasn't sticking out and turned the amp back on and got a loud buzzing through the speakers. Went to turn the amp off and I heard a loud thump and blew the breaker to the whole room. Amp is plugged into a monster power center also. Have any clue what could have happened? Nothing happened to the other 2 carver amps I have hooked up. Don't want to have to send it into service as that would suck. I don't want to be without listening to my Polk SDA 1C speakers for a couple weeks :(
<<

stevewithrow

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:03 am

Re: TFM-42 help

When you pushed back you AV tower did you happen to pinch any cords...????...I would un-plug all your gear and check every cord , sounds like a dead short to me ....( frayed cord would make the breaker go on the panel )
<<

wkathol

Post Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:04 am

Everything else works just fine. That's the thing. You get a really loud buzzing from the speakers nothing from the amp. Both speakers get the noise. I never adjusted anything just moved it back so I dunno what happened but not a good day
<<

frankieD

Frankie The Mouth

Post Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:20 pm

Reread Steve's suggestion. I had a similar problem that knocked out one of my Als. Everything else was fine. I had the speaker apart & was testing the crossover, alltogether spent several hours on the problem. Later checked my speaker switch box & found speaker leads had "backed out" (don't know why, maybe when box was moved around cleaning etc) and the lead going to THAT speaker was shorting. Moved box & all was well. I rewired the whole box after that but sometimes you need to LOOK at each thing. It is a pita but it can solve problems.

P.S. The amp in use was a TFM42 I had purchased on EBAY. It smoked three hours after "working perfect" and I had to send it to Rolland. Came back fine but then the speaker thing happened. I thought I had the amp from hell but it was just careless work on my part.

Anyway, look at each & every connection.

Good Luck.

FrankieD
<<

Rainman

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:41 pm

Since your issue did not develop until you moved your gear it almost certainly has to be caused by the move. I would go with plan A that the fellas suggested and unplug everything and inspect all of your connections. I would not be at all surprised if you found an issue with your speaker connections caused by your moving your gear.... I also agree with the fellas that you should definitely not power things back up until you locate the issue because remember.... Once you let the "magic smoke" out of a unit you can not put it back. #-o

Rainman :D
Question: Do you know why turds are tapered on the ends? Answer: So your asshole doesn't slam shut..

Carver- SDA490t, SDA450, 2 TFM45's, TFM15, CT23, CT28v, CT27v, Linn Kaber speakers, Sunfire crm2's, PS Audio Statement speaker cables and I/C's, A.P.C. power
<<

dave7310

Newbie 50+

Post Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:13 pm

I agree , check the entire power cord from the plug to the internal swich inside the amp.
(especially at the gromet where the cord goes in.)
A direct short like that will be easy to spot (burned spot etc)
Hopefully the speakers are still ok? Did you try them on another amp?
Carver... M-1.0t , TFM-35 , TFM-15 , C-16 , CT-Seven , SD/A-490t , TD-1400

B&W 683's, B&W ASW610. Technics SL-B20

Cerwin Vega AT-15's ( R.I.P. 2/6/90-12/24/08 )
<<

wkathol

Post Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:15 am

Everything is all good .. Just thought I'd let you guys all know. I still don't have a clue what happened. I unplugged the amp from the monster power center and plugged it just straight into the wall. Turned it on and everything seemed ok. Plugged it back into the power center and it all worked just fine.
<<

lives country ( carver )

TFM-25

Post Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:10 am

wkathol wrote:Everything is all good .. Just thought I'd let you guys all know. I still don't have a clue what happened. I unplugged the amp from the monster power center and plugged it just straight into the wall. Turned it on and everything seemed ok. Plugged it back into the power center and it all worked just fine.

IMO, would still be very cautious, if I understand correctly, #1 origional plug in ok, #2 made equipment move, replug in bang, blew o/c device #3 unplugged (reset) moved and checked out, pushed in, tried amp in another socket first, ok, now in monster centre, seems ok????

My guess, "hairs" for fault condition most likely present, causing (#2) result , "blew condition clear, while taking out o/c device".
If that were the case, the fault area will be "ionised" carboned and slight movement again could result in a second "bang" and blow o/c device a second time, this then "could result in serious damage this time"
Got lucky the first time around.

If it were me, I would power down all, move everything out again and do a second serious thorough check, look for evidence of ionising, or fault creating circumstances....tough call! I would be scared to move "anything" while being powered up! (cleaning, vacuming etc.)

..to give u some indication what is at play when these o/c devices blow (tripping)

standard 15 amp residential breakers are rated for max. instantaneous short time over current of 10,000 amps , (that is... ten thousand amps.)

The proceedure I would use is:
In daylight, #1 turn "off" all equipment power switches #2 turn "off" panel circit breaker feeding your stereo equipment, then #3 remove all powercords (stereo equipment) pluged into wall sockets after doing this u may turn "on" panel circuit breaker if it feeds other room devices (lamps etc.) #4 do your examinations, move equip etc. when u are satisfied, replace all equipment #5 turn "off" circuit breaker again at panel, now return and "plug in" your stereo power cords, "to wall sockets" #6 turn "on" circuit breaker at the house panel, feeding your stereo wall sockets. Lastely, turn "on" individual equipment power switches at stereo centre.
...hope this helps!

In short: (with respect to your stereo system)
Until u are absolutely satisfied there is no risc of possible fault (short circuit) conditions

I would not move any equipment, un plug or plug in any power cords anywhere, including the power cords to the wall sockets, while the wall sockets are in the energised state.
country's...pure sole...
<<

wkathol

Post Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:16 pm

Ok so not everything is ok.. Now everytime I try to turn the amp on I blow a fuse. Guess its going to get sent in to get fixed.
<<

Rainman

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:33 am

Even though you may be planning on sending the unit in to get it fixed I would still follow the group's advice regarding plug and or unplug. If you pay close attention to all of your connections when you start to pull the unit to be sent in it is entirely possible that you may find the cause of everything! I would still think your speaker cable connections or lack thereof would be the likely suspect. Just think how happy you would be if you ended up not having to send your unit in?

Rainman
Question: Do you know why turds are tapered on the ends? Answer: So your asshole doesn't slam shut..

Carver- SDA490t, SDA450, 2 TFM45's, TFM15, CT23, CT28v, CT27v, Linn Kaber speakers, Sunfire crm2's, PS Audio Statement speaker cables and I/C's, A.P.C. power
<<

lives country ( carver )

TFM-25

Post Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:15 am

wkathol wrote:Ok so not everything is ok.. Now everytime I try to turn the amp on I blow a fuse. Guess its going to get sent in to get fixed.

....where in your system is this fuse?...are u referring to the tfm42's fuse? ...or the branch circuit breaker (wall outlet/outlets?)
country's...pure sole...

Return to CARVER Equipment Repair/Help Forum