FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:30 am

TFM 45 Recap

<<

Konakanedog

Post Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:48 pm

TFM 45 Recap

20yrs is time! Looking for experience here and cap choices. High heat yes 105c Smaller caps electrolytic. Same or close as possible values with Volt increase OK. Do the lrg caps have a life expectancy? If I replace them ? Can I go 15% high in value for better performance? They are the most important for dynamic bass! Also most expensive. Also most stable! The tiny electrolytic seem to be the first to fail other than location and work or abuse. Any mods ? successful ones? Week resistors? Or other subject to ware parts?
Seems their must be more than one way to attack this? Quality parts are a given ! Also I am aware of overpriced same or less than , smoke and hype parts.
Is board warp age common? Boards are very long and one has a central location which would explain warmer temp! Perhaps the warp is a sign of abuse or lack of maintenance? Is their a lot of option or more fact on this subject? Thanks!
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:44 pm

Re: TFM 45 Recap

Never done a 45, but my experience was to use quality caps (I chose Panasonic FC series when I could). Use as the same value for the small caps (amplifier board) and close for the big caps in the power supply. You can always go up in voltage, but not too high as you want the caps to have a pretty full charge.

Look HERE
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

Konakanedog

Post Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:19 pm

Nice! I will have to do some pricing.Thank you for the spec sheet! Signal path is another place to get real creative no? Computer grade Low cost electrolytic? Finding wholesale pricing! Or bulk? Makes sence to me. What about the Large ones? Super expensive? Don't fix if not broke? Seems they are more stable do to there size. I have heard of very disappointing results as well! Also have heard of new premature Electrolytic failure in 2 yr old TVs ! What happened to the new Caps? That are so much light years ahead of the vintage? Some things are not built like they use too! Caps too ! I am starting to think. Some of my 1974 Marantz stuff sounds incredible! Also told if i recap the sound will be many times better! ? I have to wonder ? Or build some more experience! I have a few dry sounding receivers.
Makes most sence to start with them! And again do or don't replace huge caps?
<<

BillD

Post Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:38 pm

At 20 yrs., I'd definitely replace the big power supply caps — all of them. They're relatively (to the smaller ones) expensive, but $10 bucks isn't bad for something that will last you another 20 years. I usually buy caps from a number of sources. I've used the following in order of frequency:

Digi Key
Mouser
Allied
MCM

I try to get as much stuff at one place as I can. It saves shipping and minimums. I'll even substitute parts to get them without going to another supplier if I have to.

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:30 pm

Bill, I always thought that the big PS caps were the most likely to go first followed by the larger PC board mounted electrolytic caps packaged in cans. Rule of thumb I have always heard is that the lower the voltage/capacitance, the less likely it is to go bad. Any thruth to this?

On the subject of cap failure in newer TVs, a technician friend of mine has a theory on that. Most of the failures he has seen have been in the lower ent TVs that come out of China and the caps have all been of Chinese manufacture, many sub-par quality and probably even counterfeit. He remarks that Japanese, Korean or Taiwanese caps (and TV brands) just don't seem to fail that way very often, especially compared to Chinese brands. Now, note that not all Chinese brands or assembled TV are this failure prone; only those "off-brand" ones.
Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.
<<

Konakanedog

Post Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:47 am

As far as size I was instructed by an seasoned Audio Tech that the smallest Caps fail first as they are so small and work hard at times. Following Kens advice,And always looking at the small caps . The ones I have found in Stereo Amps,and replaced with great success let dc pass and showed no exterior signs of failure!
<<

BillD

Post Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:51 am

I know that the only caps that I've had truly fail (i.e., give up the magic smoke) were the big PS caps). That's what prompted me to recap my M-500 and I just did every stinkin' electrolytic in there.

Return to CARVER Equipment Repair/Help Forum