It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:49 pm

CT-17 pre-out help

<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:25 pm

Diagnosis.

Have you tried using the pre-out to the AV-64 while the jumpers are in place in the EXT PROC?
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

diz131

Post Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:31 pm

Re: CT-17 pre-out help

TNRabbit wrote:
BillD wrote:You did connect the RCAs from the out to the in, yes/no?

Bill, I think you and I are thinking the same thing....

Do you have a pic of the back of your preamp & connections, diz131?

Yeah I have them plugged in that way, I'll take a pic and post it.
<<

diz131

Post Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:52 pm

Ok I attached a pic of the back, also I tried selecting the engage button on and off but no results. I do notice however a slight pop in the speaker when I press the surround button, high filter etc. I also tested the pre-amp with just headphones to see if sound would come out with being plugged into the AV-64 and it worked so thats why I'm thinking the pre-out connection may be bad.
Attachments
hookup3.JPG
hookup3.JPG (178.22 KiB) Viewed 196 times
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:29 pm

Diagnosis.

Where are your tape loop or tape selector buttons? In or out?

Speaker selection on [I.E. In our out]? Have you tried the headphone out to see if it works.....if you can?

Before I go on, could you or someone please post a pic of the front of the AV-64? I have never seen one or I am unfamiliar with that piece of gear. It might help us [me] to help you.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

diz131

Post Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:47 pm

The tape 1 and 2 buttons are out, I did try pushing them as well.

There are no speaker in/out buttons that I'm aware of.

I have tried the heaphones with just the ct-17 and they work.

The front of the AV-64 Power Amp is plain, all it has is a power on switch.
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:53 pm

Diagnosis.

Have you tried for the input AUX or CD instead of a video input? Jumpers installed. All else verified.

<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:54 pm

Tom, I posted pics of the AV-64 in the Gallery a long time ago.
Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:04 pm

Marc, I didn't find the page. It doesn't matter though as the amp is working or it is not. I wonder if there is a setting in the A/V portion of the pre.. A setting/function maybe? He'll have to chime back unless we can figure it out before he gets back.

<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:09 pm

diz131 wrote:The tape 1 and 2 buttons are out, I did try pushing them as well.

There are no speaker in/out buttons that I'm aware of.

I have tried the heaphones with just the ct-17 and they work.

The front of the AV-64 Power Amp is plain, all it has is a power on switch.

I've been looking at the schematics on this unit and logic behind the internal layout is just plain weird. The Remote outputs are almost directly in line with the inputs, bypassing almost everythign such as tone controls, high filters, Sonic Holography and surround processing. The External Processor Loop is actually after the Remote out switching, so this would indicate that the problem is somewhere after this. Now, here is the really weird part: you say that the headphones play but the headphone amp is the last thing before the main outputs and the only active component there is IC-704.

There is another really weird thing here: the only thing that the CD Direct circuit bypasses seems to be the External Processor Loop

Looks like this is not going to be a typical DIY fix and it will probably have to go in for service.
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:11 pm

treitz3 wrote:Marc, I didn't find the page. It doesn't matter though as the amp is working or it is not. I wonder if there is a setting in the A/V portion of the pre.. A setting/function maybe? He'll have to chime back unless we can figure it out before he gets back.

The amp works fine on the remote outputs Tom, just not on the main preamp outputs.

av64-1.jpg
av64-1.jpg (20.84 KiB) Viewed 183 times

av64 back.jpg
av64 back.jpg (25.09 KiB) Viewed 183 times
<<

diz131

Post Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:19 pm

OBI56 wrote:
treitz3 wrote:Marc, I didn't find the page. It doesn't matter though as the amp is working or it is not. I wonder if there is a setting in the A/V portion of the pre.. A setting/function maybe? He'll have to chime back unless we can figure it out before he gets back.

The amp works fine on the remote outputs Tom, just not on the main preamp outputs.

Correct, its just the preamp outputs, I dont think I have tried the CD input with it yet, I have only tried video 1 and Aux. If I take the Ext Proc loop out the headphones do not work, which sounds like thats the way it should be.
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:53 pm

As I mentionned earlier, the very last thing in the signal path before the main preamp outputs is IC-704. It has 2 outputs; 1 to the main preamp outputs and the other to the Headphone Amplifier. Since the signal actually reaches the Headphone Amplifier we know that the signal is actually reaching all the way to the input of IC-704 so the problem can only be somewhere inside IC-704 or its final physical connection to the main preamp output jacks.

CT-17 output.JPG
CT-17 output.JPG (47.6 KiB) Viewed 175 times
<<

diz131

Post Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:56 am

Could a storm surge or outage blow the the pre-outs. A long time ago we had a power outage due to a storm but I dont remember if anything was hooked up to the pre-outs due to it was over 12 years ago. I'm thinking that may be why they do not work.
<<

diz131

Post Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:57 pm

Did some more testing and no luck so it looks like I'm just going put it for sale on Ebay for someone who wants to fix it lol with the Av-64 :(
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:01 pm

This may be a silly question, but is the mute switch engaged?

PreviousNext

Return to CARVER Equipment Repair/Help Forum