FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:16 pm

Source for caps for silver speakers

<<

rolereversal

TFM-25

Post Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:57 pm

Source for caps for silver speakers

Okay having a tough time finding these large caps(want to replace both in each crossover)..... any idea where we can find them?
Attachments
ugly xover 002.JPG
ugly xover 002.JPG (1.13 MiB) Viewed 637 times
<<

docadillac

TFM-25

Post Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:36 pm

Re: Source for caps for silver speakers

Try Vancouver audio clinic as they do speaker repairs and that includes crossovers. They should be able to tell you if they can replace the caps or have them etc. Their address is 2521 Guelph St. (off Broadway near Kingsway) Their Ph. No. is 604-874-7893. Dave is a good guy to talk to and They have rebuilt more than one set of drivers for me that when finished worked like new. They have even dealt with Carver Amazings in different flavors. I hope this helps.
<<

Current Limited

Post Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:59 pm

The 175uf is for the ribbon, this is the one to replace first. The 300uf is part of the woofer filter and won't make nearly as much difference. I spent about $45 to replace the 175uf with a 250v metalized polypropylene (made up of many smaller caps).
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:24 am

I looked all over and had no luck finding that big NP cap.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

radioeng2

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:27 pm

BillD wrote:I looked all over and had no luck finding that big NP cap.

Bill, as you probably know, a Non-Polar cap is simply an electrolytic turned each direction. I wonder if you could just roll your own?? Caution....I've never done this and have never seen, that I can recall, if you can or can't.

In any case, electrolytics are such a bad idea for audio (and so are NP electrolytics), that going to something else, if possible, would be a good idea!
<<

rolereversal

TFM-25

Post Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:01 pm

Thanks for the info...i'll keep looking into it.
<<

BillD

Post Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:41 pm

I thought of that too, Mark, but there is some controversy about using them like that long term. I've always wondered how this worked anyway as, it seems to me, the caps need to take a lot of opposite polarity load in this configuration. Do people put in diodes to protect those caps from all that opposite polarity load?

radioeng2

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:46 am

Ok, I checked with a more knowledgable (easy to do) person about the NP cap thing. You can make your own, but you may not want to. It goes like this...

A NP cap is rather lossy. Produces heat in that loss, which of course dries out the electrolyte that much faster. With those 150v value caps you're certainly bumping up against the limit with some of the amps used. If the amp has, lets say, + and - 75 volt rails then as it swings back and forth you have the potential to hit right up against the designed voltage limit of those caps. For them to see that full voltage, it would of course depend on where they are in the crossover circuit.

You can build your own. Being backed up against each other means they become half the listed value. So to replace that 300mfd shown, you need two 600mfd caps. Tie together the neg and attach the outer, positives, to the points where each end of the original was. Being two physical caps, they are not quite what the one body cap was and will actually be more lossy than the original. To be anywhere close to the original sonically, it would be best to put a film across it to try to mitigate the differences.

Which leads to the point that it might be better than original to just put in films anyway. They are certainly a much better sonic design cap than any NP cap ever has been. The penalty, being room and probably, cost.

If you've went super powered and the crossover circuit design isn't providing protection to the orginal cap value, then you probably would be smart to be pursueing a cap replacement. I'm not exactly sure of the timeline, though some of you probably do know, but if the speaker was designed and then Bob later designed the higher power amps to better run them, they may have gotten closer to being too much for those 150v caps. Add time, that's part of the life of all electrolytics, stir in a good song and an adult beverage, and your previously healthy crossover may be presenting you with a fireworks finale to the evening! #-o :(
<<

BillD

Post Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:37 pm

I've never seen films of that size for under a couple of hundred dollars apiece. I've often wondered if you couldn't use a setup something like this.
Cap-diode.jpg
Cap-diode.jpg (8.97 KiB) Viewed 556 times
Or should it be this way?
Cap-diode-reverse.jpg
Cap-diode-reverse.jpg (9.01 KiB) Viewed 555 times
Last edited by BillD on Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TNRabbit

Post Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:40 pm

radioeng2 wrote:Add time, that's part of the life of all electrolytics, stir in a good song and an adult beverage, and your previously healthy crossover may be presenting you with a fireworks finale to the evening! #-o :(

Sounds like what has happened to Skip's plats during BOTH CarverFests so far....

:lol: :lol:
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

rolereversal

TFM-25

Post Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:36 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I don't want to see or hear any fireworks.....YIKES!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Interesting...perhaps I may be best to contact the carver service dept and see about them rebuilding them?
<<

C-1200

Post Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:30 pm

I know this thread is old, but haven't been here for a while. Best places I found for crossover components are (madisound.com) and (partsexpress.com). Very good assortment of both NP's and metal film poly's. Good source for woofer foam surround replacement kits, too. Good luck.

Return to CARVER Equipment Repair/Help Forum