FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:14 am

Carver tfm 42 cord. Why not 3 prong w/ground?

<<

flash

Post Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:51 am

Carver tfm 42 cord. Why not 3 prong w/ground?

Excuse the ignorant ??? Why only a two prong? Oh, and what a difference thicker speaker wire makes. Wow! I was using 16 gauge short length and i recently switched to 12 gauge blue jeans wire, and although it is very long about 38 ft it makes a world of a difference. The only weird thing is the light levels are now way off. Before they were off slightly. The sound from the speakers sound even. Any ideas?
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:34 am

Re: Carver tfm 42 cord. Why not 3 prong w/ground?

The 2 prong power cord is used because it prevents ground loops, costs less, was the way they did things back then and because that 3rd prong just wouldn't bring any advantage.

Thicker gauge speaker wire has lower resistance which is a benefit, especially on longer runs where is helps maintain the damping factor in the bass region and prevents your bass from becoming loose and sloppy. Typically with a higher powered amplifier you should be looking at 16Ga for runs under 6 feet, 12 Ga for runs under 20 feet and 10Ga or larger for runs over that. This is a fast and loose rule of thumb that has as many supporters as it does detractors, so YMMV.

The LED levels on your amp are only an approximation at best of the actual power being delivered into a theoretical 8 ohm resistive load (they actualy don't measure the power, they just indicate what the power could be) and they even work with no speakers connected to your amp (do not try this at home kids). The only time they should read equally is with a MONO signal. Music is dynamic and is supposed to be different in both channels.

The sky is blue because of the refractive properties of the ozone layer reflect that color back earthwards and if I have to explain where babies come from to you, we need to go out for a beer!
Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.
<<

flash

Post Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:47 am

Thanks for the info. I hope the 12 gauge holds up being 38 ft long. So far it sounds great! Will the sound degrade after many hours of continuous use, or am i possibly just losing out on better quality sound with the 10 gauge. All i Can say is i am glad i ran pvc conduit in case i ever decide to go with the thicker gauge.
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:18 pm

You just need to move your rig farther away from you speakers.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:14 pm

Try the attic.... :lol: :lol:
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: TLM-3600 CDP to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:05 pm

Hey! I live next door! bring your speakers over to my house! I will compile a list of what music I like to listen to and at what times, ok. Make sure you bury the wire, I don't want to run over it with my car. Thanks
hehe
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:10 pm

flash wrote:Thanks for the info. I hope the 12 gauge holds up being 38 ft long. So far it sounds great! Will the sound degrade after many hours of continuous use, or am i possibly just losing out on better quality sound with the 10 gauge. All i Can say is i am glad i ran pvc conduit in case i ever decide to go with the thicker gauge.

Actually you can run 24 gauge wire on 50 foot runs if you want to and still get sound out of it. If you actually like what you are hearing is another story altogether. Speaker wire size and topology is one of the most hotly debated subjects on this forum along with interconnects and (shudder) power cords! You should read up on past posts on this subject and be prepared to ask more questions later.
Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.

Return to CARVER Equipment Repair/Help Forum