FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:22 pm

CT-7 help

<<

Kyle_A

Post Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:43 pm

CT-7 help

I've got a CT-7 and M0.5t amp. Running Bose 901s (yeah I know #-o ) with the eq running through the Tape Monitor #1 pots on the CT-7. The thing plays, but the right channel has an intermittent loss of signal. Something as simple as a child walking across the room will cause the channel to go out. Crank it up, the thumping bass will make it go out. The slightest touch to the CT-7 cabinet will bring the channel back. I've taken the thing apart several times, and cleaned every pot, connector, and switch with DeOxit and then treated with Gold. I've swapped channels in the amp, Bose eq, and Tape Monitor. The problem always moves with the right channel. Any ideas? I'm not that far from Snohomish Washington where the Carver repair shop is. Is it worth the $$ to repair, or should I just start over? Thanks!
<<

stevewithrow

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:55 pm

Re: CT-7 help

It sounds like the RCA jack , maybe a broken solder joint , im in Tacoma . And yes it would be worth taking to Bob and Rita.....
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:56 pm

Could also be an intermittent IC cable. Swap the cables with known good ones and if the problem presists, the RCA jack is your most likely culprit. Broken or cold solder joints are sometimes almost impossible to find with the naked eye for a layman.
Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.
<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:01 pm

Try putting the EQ between the CT-7 and your amp. This would rule out an issue with your tape loop if that is what is causing the problem.

If you do that you can use a set of Y's and hook up a sub to get more base if you want. Have it Y off before the EQ. I had that setup going for a while with a set of Bose.
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

Kyle_A

Post Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:41 am

Thanks! Great ideas! I'll try moving the EQ between the CT-7 and AMP. If the problem still persists I'm off to Snohomish. Thanks all!
<<

Dawgme85

M-400t CUBE

Post Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:32 pm

I had a similar problem with mine. Turned out to be in the Sonic Holography circuit. Rolland found the problem and fixed it. I seem to recall that it wasn't as simple as a broken solder joint, though there were a few of those to contend with as well...

Good luck.
CT-Seven (factory modified, rebuilt by Rolland) or C-1
M500T (rebuilt by Rita)
Thorens TD150MkII/TP13A/Denon DL160 HOMC
NAD C525BEE CDP
Dahlquist DQ20s (woofers refoamed by MillerSound)

Return to CARVER Equipment Repair/Help Forum