FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:11 am

TFM-55X questions about issue

<<

thsmith

Post Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:44 pm

TFM-55X questions about issue

I recently aquired a TFM-55X in pretty rough shape on the exterior but nothing too bad.

AMP powers on (no lights) and the left channel sounds very good but the right is weak and distorted sounding.

I do not see any burns on the PCB but the right cap looks to have a slight bulge.

Does the X in 55X mean THX?

Could the Right cap having a slight bulge be the problem with right channel?

I have $168 in the AMP is it worth sending to Rolland for service?

I really do not have a need for this amp except as a backup for my nice TFM-45 or as a AMP for my center.

Anyway, thanks for any feedback.

Tracy
TFM-45
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:56 pm

Re: TFM-55X questions about issue

If all you've got into the amp is $168, you've got a steal. I'd re-cap it or send it to Bob & Rita's or Rolland's for a tune up. The 55x is a slightly modified version of the TFM-55 to meet THX standards
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:58 pm

I'd say yes, it is worth sending in for a refurb (that will probably run you more then the $179 flat fee (Rita/Bob's place) because they charge $75 for "non-active" parts and of course you pay both ways shipping. Would have been super if you would have just had the seller ship it right to them and thus saved one shipping charge! That was my plan had I bid on this amp!). Say it runs you $300. That's ~$500 for a "like new" TFM-55x that you could easily sell for that much on ePrey. Plus you could have a nice counterpart/spare for your TFM-45 if/when it needs service, if you keep it.

You could of course try replacing the "bulged" cap yourself and that MIGHT be 100% of what is wrong with the amp, but I'd say the odds of that being the case are slim...
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: TLM-3600 CDP to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.
<<

stevewithrow

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:36 pm

elgrau wrote:I'd say yes, it is worth sending in for a refurb (that will probably run you more then the $179 flat fee (Rita/Bob's place) because they charge $75 for "non-active" parts and of course you pay both ways shipping. Would have been super if you would have just had the seller ship it right to them and thus saved one shipping charge! That was my plan had I bid on this amp!). Say it runs you $300. That's ~$500 for a "like new" TFM-55x that you could easily sell for that much on ePrey. Plus you could have a nice counterpart/spare for your TFM-45 if/when it needs service, if you keep it.

You could of course try replacing the "bulged" cap yourself and that MIGHT be 100% of what is wrong with the amp, but I'd say the odds of that being the case are slim...

I have a TFM -35 and one of the caps have a slight bulg , but the amp runs flawlessly......
<<

thsmith

Post Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:40 pm

Been awhile but I finally decided to send the 55x to Rolland and he just called to say it was finished. Quick turn around because he received it Friday.

I look forward to getting it back and giving the 45 a break while it goes to Rolland.

Anyway, thank for the tips and feedback and glad Rolland was able to return another great amp to service.
TFM-45
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:36 pm

Great! I bet you are stoked! let us all know how much "improvement" in sound you notice re your "pre-Rolland" 45!
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: TLM-3600 CDP to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.
<<

Magnaryder

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:13 pm

thsmith wrote:Been awhile but I finally decided to send the 55x to Rolland and he just called to say it was finished. Quick turn around because he received it Friday.

I look forward to getting it back and giving the 45 a break while it goes to Rolland.

Anyway, thank for the tips and feedback and glad Rolland was able to return another great amp to service.

Good move!!! You will have 2 great amplifiers when it's all said and done.

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, Lucas Labs 12B4/OD3 LineStage, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Energy Reference 22 Connoisseur, Cambridge Audio Model 8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time

Return to CARVER Equipment Repair/Help Forum