It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:59 am

Slight Buzz through Amazings

<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:03 pm

Slight Buzz through Amazings

Hi guys,

Trying to trouble shoot slight buzz through Amazings. Does not get louder with volume increase. Eliminated equalizer from equation, tried different interconnects between pre/amp receiver and TFM-75, plugged into different wall outlets, still there. Have a hum bar on DVD's. Sounds like it may be a ground loop. Disappears when I use the amp in the receiver connected to Amazings and disconnect the TFM-75 and turn off.

My question is this: Can I hook the TFM-75 directly to the Amazings with the volume potts all the way down and see if I still have the buzz to determine if there is a problem with the TFM-75 while bypassing the receiver and not damage anything? I figure by isolating this way, it will tell me if there is a problem developing with the TFM-75 or a ground loop issue?

Thanks,

Don :-k
<<

gdb

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: Slight Buzz through Amazings

Don, not too long ago someone had a hum/buzz they couldn't figure out, it turned out to be a fan that was the culprit. Does the 75's fan run continuously ? Might be something to check/disable temporarily. :-k :)
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:35 pm

Thanks. I really don't know if it runs all the time or not. My listening area is a good distance away and with the volume I play the Amazings? I can check that out.

By isolating the TFM-75 direct through the Amazings, if possible without damage, that may also lead me in the right direction. I will wait for someone to weigh in on that before pursuing.
<<

gdb

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:40 pm

IF I had an amp that rare and valuable.....I wouldn't think twice about sending it to Bob & Rita's shop for a complete "physical" !!
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:01 pm

That may be on the drawing board. First I need to see who or what is the problem before sending in the amp. I don't want to risk cosmetic damage to an amp that still looks like I did when I bought it new. It may not be the culprit. It may be just a ground loop.
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:15 pm

Yes Don, that will be fine. Just make sure [as you probably already know] to power everything off before connecting anything.

Then hook your source directly up to the 75 [again, powering off and the 75's knobs all of the way down] without having anything play in your source. Slowly turn the knobs up and see if the issue is present.

Which ALS do you have?

If the fans are an issue or they are in question, just disconnect them and test for the issue, obviously without playing the system loud for extended periods.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:21 pm

Thanks for the reply. I have Plat. 4's. Will try it out this weekend with nothing connected to it but the Plat's. Currently moved my Legacy Focus speakers up to the media room to use with the Marantz receiver in the meantime. Back a little sore right know moving Focus from 1st floor to 2nd. Marantz is way underpowered for the Plat's. TFM-75 shut down until I have a chance to troubleshoot as discussed earlier in my post.
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:30 pm

Is it a slight buzz or is it a 60 cycle hum?
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:53 am

It is a very slight buzz rather than a hum. Although it does show up with the TFM powered up through the Panamax (everything is routed through there) as a rolling single bar on the TV when I play DVD's. However, when the TFM is out of the loop, no bar when I use the Marantz front channel amp of the receiver.
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:34 am

In that case, it's not a ground loop problem. Time for your amp to take a trip to the repair shop.

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

gdb

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:13 pm

Did it occur to you that the Panamax may be the problem itself? I don't know but I suspect that it ain't up to the task of feeding the voracious power needs of a TFM-75, in fact, I beleive that they're spose'd to be connected to 2 separate circuits anyway. Try plugg'n that big boy directly into the wall an see what happens. :-k :)
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:28 pm

Did it occur to you that the Panamax may be the problem itself?

Excellent point.

<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Mon May 11, 2009 2:41 pm

Guys,

Finally traced my problem down. By disconnecting everything and plugging back in one at a time, it turned out to be a bad transformer for a security camera plugged into one of the Panamax's. GDB, I have three panamax's with which my home theatre equipment is connected to. The TFM-75 with it's two power cords are plugged into two of them. A bear to track down, but problem is now resolved. I have five separate dedicated circuits for my home theatre. I ended up buying a Panamax power strip and isolating all security camera transformers from other home theatre equipment on a separate circuit. This way I did not go through any of the circuits the Panamaxs' with the home theatre equipment was plugged into. Thanks for all of the replys! =D>
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Mon May 11, 2009 4:21 pm

Congrats on the find. I know that had to piss you off.
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

tfm75

SILVER-7t

Post Mon May 11, 2009 5:31 pm

Glad you were able to track down the hum or buzz. The 75 is a beast and can with the wrong conditions buzz in the speakers. She needs a clean socket x2 from the amp to the breakers to sound the best.

At full power the TFM-75 is almost pulling 3000 watts out of the wall. :shock:
Between FrankieD and I we have logged in over 12,000 miles going and coming from Carverfest's. Don't let the miles in between play with your mind. Get over it, jump on a plane get to the fest and have a great time !

Return to CARVER Equipment Repair/Help Forum