FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:35 am

TFM-55X - Right channel problem- can I use just the Left cha

<<

thsmith

Post Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:37 pm

TFM-55X - Right channel problem- can I use just the Left cha

I have a TFM-55x that the right channel is weak and distorted but the left channel sounds fine. I was thinking of trying it in mono mode for my center but since the left channel works could I use my AVR pre-out for the center and run my center off just the left channel or would I cause permenant damage by not having anything connected to the right channel ?

Thanks,
TFM-45
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:40 pm

Re: TFM-55X - Right channel problem- can I use just the Left cha

Nope, won't hurt anything, and you'll get more power with the one channel than you would in stereo mode, because the power supply will be dedicated to that channel, and can "borrow" the reserves from the disconnected channel.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

thsmith

Post Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:53 pm

Kewl and thanks. I will get fixed at some point in the future but for now I really only need it for the center.

Thanks again
TFM-45
<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:09 pm

There is a thread for Bob Carver's new repair site. So when you want to repair it send it off to him. It is only $175 plus shipping to fix.
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

birdyman

Post Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:10 pm

thsmith wrote:I have a TFM-55x that the right channel is weak and distorted but the left channel sounds fine. I was thinking of trying it in mono mode for my center but since the left channel works could I use my AVR pre-out for the center and run my center off just the left channel or would I cause permenant damage by not having anything connected to the right channel ?

Thanks,

Denpends on source of problem. Because your your amp is old, number of things can cause the problem you have. It can be dried up caps shorting circuit some where, or leaky pre, drivers or lost half of output transistors etc.. If these are the case then you can cause more damage by powering up your amp at this point. If you have to power up, you should not connect any thing to faulty channel to minimize further damages. Good luck

Return to CARVER Equipment Repair/Help Forum