FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:29 pm

TFM-35 output problems

<<

donberry

Post Wed May 20, 2009 9:18 pm

TFM-35 output problems

I am just trying to get a head start on this and see what info I can find. I bought a TFM-35 that I am picking up the 1st. Guy who owned it said it was working fine, he was just listening to it and it sort of popped and stopped playing.
He popped the hood and said you can see two diodes that are obviously burnt.
I was just wondering - I do not have 50 posts so i can not dl the manual, guess i will have to buy one, but is there anything in particular that is a common failure in these that would cause this ? Maybe some place for me to start looking when i get it ?
I have been wanting one of these as I have a pair of magnepans that seem to crave power so am hoping to get it repaired and either use it alone, or maybe even bi-amp them.
any info is appreciated.
thanks
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed May 20, 2009 9:28 pm

Re: TFM-35 output problems

Read all the post here for current address and phone, send it to Bob Carver & Rita! When you get it back, it's better than NEW!

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7093
<<

donberry

Post Thu May 21, 2009 12:25 pm

I know that there is no way I could possibly repair it myself even close to what they could do, or any expert could for that matter, but I have found that I enjoy working on this stuff and it is now as much a part of my audio hobby as the rest.
Actually way I even came into the TFM-35 was I was looking to buy a scope and he also had this for sale. I had been wanting a TFM-35 but did not have the money for a working one, he made me a good deal on both pieces so I am buying them both.
I know the guy and as he is honest, I take him at his word that it was working and just stopped etc.
Just something about getting under the hood and when it finally works, the satisfaction I get from it.
Down side is I may make some boat anchors along the way, but is something I am enjoying
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Thu May 21, 2009 12:49 pm

I know how you feel about making something broken work again — especially electronics. It's a real rush.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu May 21, 2009 5:49 pm

On which board (and/or location) were the two burnt diodes located?

ps: do 5 "garbage" posts a day and in ~5 days you'll be there! Or go to the "other" Carver site and I believe you can download a 35 manual right after joining?
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: TLM-3600 CDP to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.
<<

stevewithrow

SILVER-7t

Post Thu May 21, 2009 7:04 pm

PM sent.....
<<

donberry

Post Fri May 22, 2009 10:31 am

I had thought about the 5 garbage posts, but then thought I would be sidestepping the intent of the rule. steve took care of my problem for me and right after i did stumble into the other site
(thanks steve)
the board - well, I am jumping the gun here and will not be picking the amp up until next week. I was just curious if there was a common problem with the TFM-35 so I could be examining the schematics and looking up parts. Sorry for jumping the gun. I am not that quick yet in reading all of the schematics, but from looking at them, seems Carver broke them up into pretty easy to read pieces, will obvioulsy know more when I get the amp.
Did not really care for the parts list in the manual compared to the Pioneer Spec 2 I have, but rest seems good.
I have an old Crown DC-300A II that wins for most confusing schematics. Sounds good though
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Fri May 22, 2009 11:14 am

If you do decide to work on it yourself, be very careful. Carver amps aren't built like all of the rest. If you short out the triac, you will now have a boat anchor. If you do have issues with getting it fixed, call Bob and Rita's shop. They have excellent prices and they will bring the unit back up to snuff for another 20 or so years of enjoyment.

Steve, thanks for hooking a brother up and Donberry.....you choose wisely with not putting garbage posts up on the board. You'll get there soon enough and the next thing you'll know, you'll be a valuable part of this community. Good luck with the fix and we'll see ya'round campus.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri May 22, 2009 2:55 pm

Why should he be the exception (no garbage posts)? :-" This forum is riddled with short three or four word responses (I know "number of posts" is deemed as some kind of "accomplishment" here and on some other forums, but I just see them (short, terse, hello/goodbye/goodluck/ :lol: :lol: /whatever) as a "pain" and collosal waste of time to view everytime after you hit "view new posts" button). But why single out this newbie?
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
<<

stevewithrow

SILVER-7t

Post Fri May 22, 2009 3:21 pm

elgrau wrote:Why should he be the exception (no garbage posts)? :-" This forum is riddled with short three or four word responses (I know "number of posts" is deemed as some kind of "accomplishment" here and on some other forums, but I just see them (short, terse, hello/goodbye/goodluck/ :lol: :lol: /whatever) as a "pain" and collosal waste of time to view everytime after you hit "view new posts" button). But why single out this newbie?

The guy seemed ok in my book....and there are rules I live buy..

“Because anybody thinking they can succeed in life on their own is delusional. You have to love people and give back or you don’t go anywhere!"
<<

BillD

Post Fri May 22, 2009 4:02 pm

Note. TFM-35 is not mag coil, so a little less danger in working on it yourself. In the TFM line, the 42/45 were the first mag-coil amps. All the M series amps were mag coil (even the lowly M-0.5 and the M-200)

stevewithrow

SILVER-7t

Post Fri May 22, 2009 4:06 pm

BillD wrote:Note. TFM-35 is not mag coil, so a little less danger in working on it yourself. In the TFM line, the 42/45 were the first mag-coil amps. All the M series amps were mag coil (even the lowly M-0.5 and the M-200)

Once again Bill , I have always found that interesting , the 35 is advertised as a mag coil....But we all know it isnt....
<<

BillD

Post Fri May 22, 2009 4:10 pm

And what about the TFM-15, 22, 24 and 25?

frankieD

Frankie The Mouth

Post Fri May 22, 2009 7:40 pm

elgrau wrote:Why should he be the exception (no garbage posts)? :-" This forum is riddled with short three or four word responses (I know "number of posts" is deemed as some kind of "accomplishment" here and on some other forums, but I just see them (short, terse, hello/goodbye/goodluck/ :lol: :lol: /whatever) as a "pain" and collosal waste of time to view everytime after you hit "view new posts" button). But why single out this newbie?

This is scary Ed. I AGREE with you.

I have given up the "welcome" posts for the most part. Not because I don't welcome newcomers but too often they are gone in a week. If they stay around we will get to know each other.

As far as the number of posts, it doesn't mean anything to me. What's in the posts count.

You are a good example of some very valuable posts regarding your really unique speakers and the results.

On the other hand your political bullshit is a very great waste of time.

John Lennon makes a pact with the satan? Give me a fucking break.

The guys last years were devoted to peace.
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri May 22, 2009 7:58 pm

"On the other hand your political bullshit is a very great waste of time. "

Dearest FrankieD, that's why we have a special section ("politikan") for that! Don't like "political bullshit" (which it all is for the most part!), then don't visit that section of the forum!

ps: love that "Rollandized" 42! Laying here in the "sweet spot" (my sectional couch!) of the AOS's is pure musical heaven: crystal clear, full bass sounding, extremely detailed, musical "perfection" (also thanks to Richard the Dreamer for selling me his Nordost's as well! I'm forever grateful to you both \:D/ :lol: )

Happy 3 day weekend and let us all think real hard on the real patriots who died to make all of this possible for all of us (I'm sure in most other countries we'd all have been rounded up and sent to "re-education centers" a long time ago for the "rebel rousing" we take for granted here! I salute all those who went before us and served/died to preserve this infinite gift for us! We need to do the same for our children!).
Next

Return to CARVER Equipment Repair/Help Forum