FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:36 am

wondering, carver amp theory info?

<<

donberry

Post Sat May 23, 2009 9:01 pm

wondering, carver amp theory info?

Just curious if anyone could point me in the right direction. At first I started doing my own repairs mainly for financial reasons, then it turned out I found i really enjoyed doing it and now do it as a big part of my audio hobby.
Have mainly been working on vintage amps from the 70's and a Sansui 1000A tube receiver, but as I will soon be picking up a TFM-35 and an outside chance on a CM-1090, I was wondering if there were any links or info somewhere on information about carver amps? Thanks to a kind member here, I have the service manual for the TFM-35, but was wondering more about the theory behind it. For example, in the Pioneer Spec 2 service manual, it has detailed information about how it works, circuit descriptions etc. Was wondering if there was any info like that available for the carver amps ? any of the older line would work, but obviously the TFM line would be even better.
thanks for any info and links.
I do understand that information like this may not be available. I just like to try to understand what is going on under the hood(tho i rarely do, keeps me busy and confused tho)
<<

donberry

Post Sun May 24, 2009 11:20 pm

Re: wondering, carver amp theory info?

nothing like responding to my own posts \:D/
I was pointed to the service manual for the tfm-42 and it has more then i will ever probably know, but is what i was looking for
<<

stevewithrow

SILVER-7t

Post Mon May 25, 2009 12:23 am

Wish I could help you out , if one of my Carver products brake down , I just drive it over to Bob & Ritas shop....
<<

donberry

Post Mon May 25, 2009 5:40 pm

the service manuals for the M4.0t and the tfm-45 were pretty much what i was looking for, not that I understand any of it.
I would imagine if I lived within driving distance of Bob and Rita, I would re-think doing this myself. But i enjoy doing it, am a slow learner but learning quite a bit more then I did when I started and I haven't electrocuted myself yet.
Actually, at this point, I am more just a replace everything type as my troubleshooting skills are coming along slowly;fortunately most components are cheap. I try to isolate the problem and am learning quite a bit doing that, but I make sure i go thru the parts lists and order everything I can while I am at it. Not counting filter caps, you can do a lot of replacing for $20-$25.00.

The help you have given Steve is greatly appreciated.
Down side to the carver is it does not weigh enough to make a good boat anchor when i do screw it up 8-[

Return to CARVER Equipment Repair/Help Forum