FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:38 pm

Sunfire True Subwoofer MK II Signature

<<

SkunkAudio

Post Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:27 pm

Sunfire True Subwoofer MK II Signature

I just picked up one the the many broken Sunfire subs off e-pray and I need some advise about repairing it. Do you think it would be better to remove the amp from the subwoofer and send it to Rita and Bob? The guys says it turns on, makes a humming noise, goes quiet and no audio from the sub what so ever. I will take a stab at a fix myself if there is something obviously loose or solder joint broken. Just looking at saving on freight if I remove the amp itself and send it in for service. What do you think? Purchased and shipped for $208 bucks.
Sunfire TGPIII Processor
Sunfire True Sub EQ Signature MK II
Marantz Dual Deck Tape w/remote
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:17 pm

Re: Sunfire True Subwoofer MK II Signature

Hard to test an amp without speakers. The enclosure is integral to testing (need's a sealed enclosure). I think I'd send the whole thing. Even Bob and Rita might not have a spare enclosure with two drivers kicking around to test it in.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:37 pm

Yep! I know it will cost some $$$ in shipping but the best thing to do is send the whole thing off to Rita. I was looking at a few of those out there and it would have been a good idea to have the seller ship directly to her. Then you get out of shipping a 45+ pound item 3 times and only pay for twice. Remember a good working one is worth $700+ in good working and cosmedic condition.

I just got one last weekend and love it. So the $$$ you put into it now will not seem so much when you get it back and is shaking your house.
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

SkunkAudio

Post Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:42 am

Well I never got the guy to ship it right to Rita. When I got this thing opened up and out on the bench last night I plugged it in and it was dead quitet. When I turned up the volume level on the sub the speakers made a hum, then a pop and it a series of 5-6 buzz noises from the speakers and then stoped. Then I could turn the level down and back up and it would repeat itself. I went ahead and removed the amp from the sub enclosure and took a gander. First I didnt see anything that looked like it had gotten hot. All the Opamps looked good, no discoloration anyware on the circuit boards. Then I seel that one of the fuses on the top circuit board is dead. I removed it last night and I am going to pick one up today. Any chance someone has a copy of the service manual and the circuit diagram?
Sunfire TGPIII Processor
<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:49 am

Good luck with trying to fix it. I just bought a MK II also and love it.
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

BillD

Post Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:10 am

That's the problem with Sunfires. There are absolutely no service manuals. Never published (or even written). I'd heard that the techs worked from the original design documentation.

SkunkAudio

Post Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:35 pm

:shock: Well I looked at the amp pretty good this evening. I made the choice to not bleed down the capacitors and got lucky! When I decided to push the fuse into the holder I looped the back of my finger over the PCB for leverage and when I did :shock: ! I am glad I was using the one hand behind my back rule to prevent the charge from going threw my body. Got quite the zing from the energy stored in the CAPS. Thats what I get for being in a hurry and breaking rules. Not having a schematic does not help either. Looks like its off to Rita to get repaired because when I replaced the fuse and plugged the unit in there was an arc at the plug and a squeel and smoke! Looks like either a switch or opamp died or a small capacitor puked its guts onto those two others. #-o
Sunfire TGPIII Processor
<<

BillD

Post Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:09 pm

Yep, a trip to Rita is in order. I think the True Subwoofer was her specialty.

weitrhino

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:31 pm

I've been wondering why there have been so many Sunfire subs that are broken and for sale. Did they simply sell so damn many of them that this is just the natural failure amount or do they seem to be short-lived altogether?
<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:41 am

Might be that the word is out that Bob and Rita are fixing these and the people who don't want to pony up the $$$ are cashing in on the fact that someone else will pay for the repair.
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

BillD

Post Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:39 am

I does appear to me that there are a lot of True Subwoofers that are broken. It is odd, because that 2700 Watt plate amp is common to all series, both 10" and 12". It might just be that a whole lot of them were sold, and only the broken ones are being passed off. I love mine.

TNRabbit

Post Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:48 am

I think it's from having a 2700 watt amp driving a 10-12 inch driver about 2.5 inches back and forth at a rate of several hundred times a minute or more for years....yeah, THAT might do it....

:D
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

Magnaryder

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:02 pm

TNRabbit wrote:I think it's from having a 2700 watt amp driving a 10-12 inch driver about 2.5 inches back and forth at a rate of several hundred times a minute or more for years....yeah, THAT might do it....

:D

Damn.....ya think????

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, Lucas Labs 12B4/OD3 LineStage, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Energy Reference 22 Connoisseur, Cambridge Audio Model 8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:26 pm

But the kick @ss and sound so good!
Some cool Carver stuff!

Return to CARVER Equipment Repair/Help Forum