FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:05 am

TFM-55 Issue

<<

icravcarver

TFM-25

Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:41 pm

TFM-55 Issue

I have been using the new to me amp without any problem for the last what - three or so weeks. I've used it pretty steadily for (not loud-loud, but steady use at what I consider average listening levels to me) for almost every day. It used to start up with a Phzzt sound and the right VU meter jumping, then silence followed by a loud click, then BLISS!!! 8) 8)

Sometime around the end of last week, it didn't do the Phzzt sound, the meter didn't jump, and started out okay. Then I noticed a buzz from the right channel :-s , but if I lowered the volume knob on the AMP, it went away (only about 1/4 to 1/6 or so turn back from full volume). I then noticed another time upon power up, it would buzz at the lower volume. :? Then next time I would power it up, I could hear the buzz only if I cranked it up. It wouldn't buzz at the lower levels. (I do want to eventually want to send to Rita's shop, but just not yet)!

Well the other day, I was listening to the radio, and it sounded like I had static across the station. It turns out the right channel was staticy. But it would go away. (I thought it may be my shitty reception, but then I noticed it while listening to an LP.). Okay, has to be the amp. But the static was intermittent and I would only have a buzz at higher volumes. Now my days have been getting hectic and stressful... last night I go to pull the amp from the top of my receiver, and doesn't the shitty monster cable interconnect pull off my right channel RCA jacket on the amp. F***. So I take the cover off and undo the back and resolder my input jack on (simple enough, worked good) Put the amp back in service, and again, only a slight buzz at higher volumes. So I turn on amp tonight, and notice that static noise.
OCCD claims another victim!!

Carver Gear: MAIN SYSTEM: TFM-55; C-16; SD/A-490t; TD-1770; BEDROOM: HR-772
Non Carver Gear: MAIN SYSTEM: Dual CS-530 TT w/Ortofon Super OM10; POLK SDA-1C's; Phillips CDR-775 CD Burner; BSR EQ-300; BEDROOM: T.B.A.

"I may be poor, but I am rich in sound!!"
<<

icravcarver

TFM-25

Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:52 pm

Re: TFM-55 Issue - continued

I said F**** it. Pulled it from my system and put it up on my kitchen table. Double checked my solder job from last night, and decided to redo it (really just to make it prettier - worked fine). I try the amp in several configurations, switching volume configurations, including bridged, and I notice the static even in mono (a lot less pronounced) and in stereo even at 0 volume. I then proceeded to undo the removable bottom and look for any broken solder joints. The ones along the heat sinks on either side, although the don't look pretty, appeared to be all intact. (Thought maybe a loose solder joint could cause this). I cleaned up some gunk at these areas (brownish crust type dried glue or whatever they put on the board). I hooked up my KLH indoor/outdoors (8 ohm resistance) and a small DVD player from the bedroom to the amp. I now don't hear a buzz at all (could be the shittyness of the KLH's), but have that static noise. Even without any connection to the input jacks. Anyone have any ideas? I see no burn spots or blown resistors, etc, and contrary to my first pictures of the internals, the caps actually aren't bulging as they pictures made them appear to be. I was planningn on sending her in for service eventually, just would like to figure out what the hell it could be. It justs bugs me when shit don't work right, when it was before!!! :?

Non Carver Gear: MAIN SYSTEM: Dual CS-530 TT w/Ortofon Super OM10; POLK SDA-1C's; Phillips CDR-775 CD Burner; BSR EQ-300; BEDROOM: T.B.A.

<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:31 am

Re: TFM-55 Issue

Sorry to hear of your trouble.
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

icravcarver

TFM-25

Post Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:01 pm

Thanks. I knew I was going to want to send it in anyway, so it will be a little sooner than later. BTW - now I am back to just a buzz at full volume (no input to the channel). Weird.

<<

beemers417

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:18 pm

It is prob. due for caps.
Gunter the wonder dog is watching you...
<<

icravcarver

TFM-25

Post Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:02 pm

Yeah, but they really aren't showing any bulging. The picture I took makes it look like so, but I have been inside this thing for two days, and they really aren't crowning and the sides aren't protruding. I just wish I could figure it out. The damn thing was working great and was crankin'. (This is the part of me that wishes I stayed with electrical engineering). Oh well.

<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:14 am

Could be way too many possible things for even a guess.

Easiest and probably quickest to just send it to Rita and get a "new" amp back that will be 100% "fixed"!

In the meantime, enjoy all of the political BS on this, the political news forum (with a little Carver stuff thrown in like this for good measure! :lol: :lol: ).
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: TLM-3600 CDP to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.
<<

madmike46

Newbie 50+

Post Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:27 pm

I have an M500t that did kind of the same thing and I found that one of the wires that runs under the board had the insulation lightly punctured by the soldered components, I put a pice of anti short material between the wire and the board and the problem went away. Just a thought, might be something that simple on yours.

Return to CARVER Equipment Repair/Help Forum