Post by radioeng2 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:23 pm

Gates CB1200 turntables.
Micro-Trak wooden tonearms.
Stanton 500 cartridges.
Gates stereo SS preamps.
Gates Stereo 80 console.
Shure "hammer" microphone.
Bell telephone rotary dial phone.
ITC triple deck RP series cart deck just out of site for commercials.
National news at the top of the hour from Mutual News (beep-bop).
State news from Topeka from the Kansas News Network.
Ag news from Topeka from the Kansas Agriculture News Network.
Kansas City Royals and Kansas City Chiefs for pro sports.

I started in May the year I graduated from high school working a few evenings and Sunday morning sign-on shift. My first weekend post graduation I had to work so didn't ride along for a 2 day trip with a good friend who got into a very bad accident a couple hours away which left his brother limping for life...probably in the seat I'd have been in. Left the first time a year and half later when I graduated from the local Community College.

The AM is a 2 tower directional array with 500 screamin' daytime watts into a figure 8 north/south pattern with presunrise authority for 6AM. Transmitter was a Gates BC500-GY, mercury vapor rectifier tubes and 833's for finals.

The simulcast FM was at that time a 3000 watts ERP and had been on the air for about 4 years and had an extensive broadcast day from 6AM until 10PM.

Mark
I was there "At the Fest!" Hope you were too!

radioeng2
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Re: What is your job.....

Post by radioeng2 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:31 pm

hewlew1 wrote:I will guess from 1977.
You changed your guess Harry. In the right direction...

That was either in 78 or 79.

My brother ran across that picture apparently and took a cell phone snap of it and sent it to me. I don't recall the picture at all or who took it. I don't think I've ever had that shot so it kind of surprised me.

hewlew1
"You Fuckin' Fucks"

Post by hewlew1 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:05 pm

I don't think I've ever had that shot so it kind of surprised me. Surprised you , how do you think we feel poor AL is in shock!
"Carver Audio, why settle for less, just ask my neighbors"
C1,C2,CT3,CT6,CT7/3,CT23,CT26,C4000,The Receiver,M500,M500T/6,M1.5T,TFM24/2,TFM/25/3,TFM35,TFM35X,TFM42/2,DTL200,TDR1700,DPL20,TX11/2, 5.2Center,5.1Sub/3,Original Amazings,Platinum Amazings/2,AL3'S,Polk SDA SRS, Polk SDA 1C's, Polk RTA11's, Polk Monitor 10's/2 ,Monitor 7's, Sunfire 300x2 /5, Sunfire pre, Sunfire MK2 Sub/2, 4 Carverfest monoblocks, Carverfest linestage preamp/2, Mapletree Audio Designs Tube Preamp,Phase Linear Andromeda III speakers, Phase Linear 4000 Preamp, Dahlquist DQ-10's
CERTIFIED AMPLE PLIERS EXPERT
Some of the best fuckings we get during our lifetime come from a relative!
I don't kiss ass, I dont take peoples shit, so dont expect it from me!

frenchguy
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by frenchguy » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:23 am

YEAH!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Attachments
record.gif
record.gif (264.46 KiB) Viewed 1995 times
2-Carver Crimson 275 vacuum tube amps,Carver C-1 tfm 42. ct-6 & ct-17, sda390t, jolida jd 100A. JBL L96 & JBL 4401,s W/Ribbon Tweeters, Carver Amazing Silver speakers in oak, Carver Cinema 5.1 subwoofer & Tesla audio Carverfest satellite ribbon speakers & stands & Douglas connection cables

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Magnaryder » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:08 pm

radioeng2 wrote:In a different time, a different dimension, long long ago...

love the beard man!

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

"Racing is life, the rest of the time you're just sitting around."-Steve McQueen

hewlew1
"You Fuckin' Fucks"

Post by hewlew1 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:54 pm

Markle looks like part of the British invasion!
"Carver Audio, why settle for less, just ask my neighbors"
C1,C2,CT3,CT6,CT7/3,CT23,CT26,C4000,The Receiver,M500,M500T/6,M1.5T,TFM24/2,TFM/25/3,TFM35,TFM35X,TFM42/2,DTL200,TDR1700,DPL20,TX11/2, 5.2Center,5.1Sub/3,Original Amazings,Platinum Amazings/2,AL3'S,Polk SDA SRS, Polk SDA 1C's, Polk RTA11's, Polk Monitor 10's/2 ,Monitor 7's, Sunfire 300x2 /5, Sunfire pre, Sunfire MK2 Sub/2, 4 Carverfest monoblocks, Carverfest linestage preamp/2, Mapletree Audio Designs Tube Preamp,Phase Linear Andromeda III speakers, Phase Linear 4000 Preamp, Dahlquist DQ-10's
CERTIFIED AMPLE PLIERS EXPERT
Some of the best fuckings we get during our lifetime come from a relative!
I don't kiss ass, I dont take peoples shit, so dont expect it from me!

Shortcake
SILVER-7t

Post by Shortcake » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:07 pm

Magnaryder wrote:
radioeng2 wrote:In a different time, a different dimension, long long ago...

love the beard man!

ray
I believe every guy should have a beard and mustache. No wonder you and Harry get along - you just hide your gruff well. What a hottie!
“Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.” ― Plato

Zoot Horn
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Zoot Horn » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:36 pm

Mark appears stoned in that pic!

frenchguy
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by frenchguy » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:04 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :rolleyes: =D> :D
2-Carver Crimson 275 vacuum tube amps,Carver C-1 tfm 42. ct-6 & ct-17, sda390t, jolida jd 100A. JBL L96 & JBL 4401,s W/Ribbon Tweeters, Carver Amazing Silver speakers in oak, Carver Cinema 5.1 subwoofer & Tesla audio Carverfest satellite ribbon speakers & stands & Douglas connection cables

radioeng2
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by radioeng2 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:23 pm

Shortcake wrote: I believe every guy should have a beard and mustache. No wonder you and Harry get along - you just hide your gruff well. What a hottie!
I hide the hottie even better. Heck...I can't even find it.... ](*,)

radioeng2
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by radioeng2 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:46 pm

Zoot Horn wrote:Mark appears stoned in that pic!
I know exactly what direction I'm looking there. It's the clock.

You had to back time into network newcasts by knowing the time you needed the last song to end. You'd subtract the next few records and adjust what ones you played leading up that point. Start about 15 to 20 minutes in advance to get the timing to work out. Screw up and you'd have the last song run out early or have to cut it off. Start back timing ahead and you could get to work out perfectly. For example...Adjust 3 songs on your play list by selecting 20 second shorter each and you get done a full minute earlier or later.

So you're looking at the clock second hand almost all the time keeping track of where you are and watching a song fade out to know when to fire the next song to stay on targer for your timing you've worked out.

You even back cue the records very precisely to be able to split second have them start exactly where you want. Those rim drive tables are VERY predictable and can start to full speed in about a 1/4 of a revolution. Very careful back cueing of the songs first note meant when you powered on the table, it'd start exactly at the moment you wanted it.

Time out a cold ending song to perfectly segway into a newscast you're fired up llike you won the lottery. That's what the jock lived for in those days.

Every 45 we got in to play had a label on it. It gave the actual timed length (from a stop watch not the labeled time), the intro time you could talk over before the vocal started, and the outcue type...cold or fade. Those all were crutial details to the jock. Years after I wasn't on the air any more, I could be driving up the road and while hearing a song I'd played, you could quote off the top of your head the intro, the length and the outcue. Those were all very important and without even trying you got so you knew them all. So when you needed a song that was 3:35, you knew right off without hardly looking exactly what song you wanted that you hadn't played too recently. A good jock excelled at this, a poor one couldn't keep track of all the details in their head and as a result you'd hear songs get cut off or have excessively long talk segments somewhere close to the fixed time segments that they'd be working up to.

Now you have an automation system that records it automatically and can start it on command at any moment you want it and never miss even the opening breath before the first word. So now it's nothing at all to make it all tight timing.

Mark

Shortcake
SILVER-7t

Post by Shortcake » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:15 am

radioeng2 wrote:
Zoot Horn wrote:Mark appears stoned in that pic!
I know exactly what direction I'm looking there. It's the clock.

You had to back time into network newcasts by knowing the time you needed the last song to end. You'd subtract the next few records and adjust what ones you played leading up that point. Start about 15 to 20 minutes in advance to get the timing to work out. Screw up and you'd have the last song run out early or have to cut it off. Start back timing ahead and you could get to work out perfectly. For example...Adjust 3 songs on your play list by selecting 20 second shorter each and you get done a full minute earlier or later.

So you're looking at the clock second hand almost all the time keeping track of where you are and watching a song fade out to know when to fire the next song to stay on targer for your timing you've worked out.

You even back cue the records very precisely to be able to split second have them start exactly where you want. Those rim drive tables are VERY predictable and can start to full speed in about a 1/4 of a revolution. Very careful back cueing of the songs first note meant when you powered on the table, it'd start exactly at the moment you wanted it.

Time out a cold ending song to perfectly segway into a newscast you're fired up llike you won the lottery. That's what the jock lived for in those days.

Every 45 we got in to play had a label on it. It gave the actual timed length (from a stop watch not the labeled time), the intro time you could talk over before the vocal started, and the outcue type...cold or fade. Those all were crutial details to the jock. Years after I wasn't on the air any more, I could be driving up the road and while hearing a song I'd played, you could quote off the top of your head the intro, the length and the outcue. Those were all very important and without even trying you got so you knew them all. So when you needed a song that was 3:35, you knew right off without hardly looking exactly what song you wanted that you hadn't played too recently. A good jock excelled at this, a poor one couldn't keep track of all the details in their head and as a result you'd hear songs get cut off or have excessively long talk segments somewhere close to the fixed time segments that they'd be working up to.

Now you have an automation system that records it automatically and can start it on command at any moment you want it and never miss even the opening breath before the first word. So now it's nothing at all to make it all tight timing.

Mark

Now I am positive you and Harry are fucking twins.
“Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.” ― Plato

Return to “Way the Hell !! OFF TOPIC !!”