Say Bye

Just want to BS about nothing... This is the place for it
radioeng2
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Say Bye

Post by radioeng2 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:33 pm

Expect a huge portion of my content over the years is to be gone soon, suddenly. :shock:

Photobucket is sending out ransom notices to folks and breaking all photo links unless you come up with $400 a year. [-(

As I've enjoyed using many photo's in threads here, expect them to all be broken shortly. Threads like the one I created with shots of the CarverFest CD's. The info will all disappear! More importantly would be stuff in the memories of people, the info on the CarverFest Amp build and so on. This is sad stuff. :-({|=

The web is a changin'. I've not received my ransom notice yet, but I've been watching over the last week or so as people around the forums have one by one been getting told to pay up or else. It's their business how they try to make ends meet but I don't think this will work for them at all. They'll be gone shortly I'd think. Guess the IPO money ran out.

So look though things here and any photo's that seem important, better snag 'em now while you can. I'd expect them all to be gone within days...or less.

Mark
I was there "At the Fest!" Hope you were too!

stevek
TFM-6cb

Re: Say Bye

Post by stevek » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:22 pm

I tried to upload some pictures over the past week and was not able to. Site is probably very very slow because of the ransom notices.
Steve
Vinnie Rossi LIO Integrated Amp (12/15), Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S (10/16), 2 GR Research - Dual 12" OB H-Frame Subs(diy), MicroRendu (7/16)
Sony CDP-CE505. Workshop: Carver M500t(9/14), Carver M500t(8/12), 2 Carverfest Speakers(diy), CF Preamp, Benchmark DAC (10/10)

jjptkd
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by jjptkd » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:27 pm

Damn that is harsh, sorry to hear about this! Anyway to save what you have? External hard drives and storage space have really come down in price.
Last edited by jjptkd on Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oppo Sonica DAC
Sunfire TG-III
Sunfire 300x2
Klipsch Chorus II

Shortcake
SILVER-7t

Post by Shortcake » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:13 pm

can you move them to google drive for the time being? Damn. Will have to make sure we are sure to make more memories and lots of photos this year
“Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.” ― Plato

Toy Maker
Puppet Master

Post by Toy Maker » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:53 am

Just DL your entire collection and move them over to Google Drive !!!!

I have been using it for a couple years now, and it works great. The 1st 15GB are fee.
I pay the $20 per year to have 100GB available. I keep all my important file up there now. I can access then from anywhere at any time, and I have never seen a single time that I could not access my files.
With the massive amount of drawings and files I have saved I'm still only using 42GB right now.

stevek
TFM-6cb

Post by stevek » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:24 am

Toy Maker wrote:Just DL your entire collection and move them over to Google Drive !!!!

I pay the $20 per year to have 100GB available. I keep all my important file up there now.
That would work until Google makes a drastic price increase and starts charging per month.

I've been through this before. A free photo host site I was using was bought by Yahoo and eventually discontinued. I didn't hear about it in time and all my pictures and links were lost.
As somebody said hard drives are inexpensive. My ripped music collection is on 4 different 1TB drives one of which resides in my safe deposit box. I possess/own it all. No cloud.
Steve
Vinnie Rossi LIO Integrated Amp (12/15), Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S (10/16), 2 GR Research - Dual 12" OB H-Frame Subs(diy), MicroRendu (7/16)
Sony CDP-CE505. Workshop: Carver M500t(9/14), Carver M500t(8/12), 2 Carverfest Speakers(diy), CF Preamp, Benchmark DAC (10/10)

radioeng2
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by radioeng2 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:34 pm

Here is a way to lookup the posts with a PhotoBucket link in them...

site:carveraudio.com/phpBB3 {radioeng2} ".photobucket.com

Google that string (with of course your forum name instead of mine) and it will give you at least some of your posts with images. It didn't look like I got all mine as it wasn't nearly long enough. In looking at a few of mine, my pics are still there at this minute. I see others that are already gone. :(

I only used PB to make the photo's available to forums. So I have, somewhere, the content that's been posted so in theory I'm not losing anything. It's just all the threads that are going to now be so much less useful, filled with the PB annoying image saying "payup sucker"!

Mark

PS...I've never believed in the rental thing. I don't and won't pay for cloud storage to MS or Adobe or any of those ripoff deals, I don't pay for shopping privileges anywhere and never will, and I don't rent music (stream). I buy drives, shop where it's free to do so and buy my music. And I won't pay for photo storage like they're hoping, ever. I'll either use any forum ability to upload images or just won't post photo's I guess.

engtaz
"TAZ"

Post by engtaz » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:30 am

Is someone looking after Gary's Photos?
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Magnaryder » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:59 am

engtaz wrote:Is someone looking after Gary's Photos?
I think as a group we need to do something about the pics that may be lost. Maybe move them off-line to preserve them as best we can.

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

"Racing is life, the rest of the time you're just sitting around."-Steve McQueen

radioeng2
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by radioeng2 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:49 am

....and my pictures are all gone from every thread now! ](*,)

jjptkd
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by jjptkd » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:06 am

Were you able to save any of them? I cannot believe a company would do something like that, hopefully the market will respond accordingly and put them out of business.
Oppo Sonica DAC
Sunfire TG-III
Sunfire 300x2
Klipsch Chorus II

radioeng2
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by radioeng2 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:45 am

jjptkd wrote:Were you able to save any of them? I cannot believe a company would do something like that, hopefully the market will respond accordingly and put them out of business.
I didn't use Fotofucket for my storage, just for a place to link to pictures on forums. So I should have stuff. Plus for now, it's still in their site somewhere behind all the adds they throw in your face.

Others have reported trying to download back their pictures and they make it harder and harder to do as you work at it. After the first few, they get it so slow that it's not worth it. So they're doing everything they can to piss off everybody and push you to anti up the ransom.

I should have all my photo's. And a ways back, I'd worked at pulling down a lot of the stuff up on Gary's pages. So I have copies of a lot of his.

Among threads on several forums, I've only seen one person say that maybe they'd throw in the towel and pay the ransom. On the other hand, several dozens have said never, ever. So hopefully they'll burn through the little bit they hold people up for and close shortly. That'd be justice.

Mark

Return to “Way the Hell !! OFF TOPIC !!”