M500t Mk. II vs M1.0t Mk. II.2

Amplifier Reviews
SteveFord
SILVER-7t

M500t Mk. II vs M1.0t Mk. II.2

Post by SteveFord » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:45 pm

Here's a short review of how these two amps stack up.
Everyone who's followed Rich's work knows that these just kill the stock units. There's no sense in rehashing how they sound in general or what the performance increase is like.
The question is, how do these two modified monsters compare? Rich knows but he's too modest to say.
I'll make it short. These were compared in the downstairs sytem which is a very live room: hardwood floors, Magnepan IIIAs near picture windows (not much choice in the matter due to the room configuration), SVS sub, Sunfire tube preamp, Jolida JD100 cd player, silver interconnects, Tributaries speaker wire and the AMAZING $80 power cords which make everything else just SUCK BIG TIME by comparison (sorry, couldn't resist).

M1.0t - great bass and authoratative midrange, good top end
M500t - really nice top end, good midrange and bass

In the downstairs system, the M1.0t Mk. II.2 is the clear winner.
It's a very bright room and needed a warmer sounding amp which is what the M1.0t is.
The upstairs bedroom is fully carpeted and would benefit from a brighter sounding amp so the M500t has been moved up there where it's a better match to the room.
As with everything else in this hobby, it's all subjective.
Having compared the two, I think it's more a matter of matching these amps to the room (and the other components) than one being better than the other.
Bright room? M1.0t Mk. II.2
Fully furnished? M500t Mk. II
Looks? M500t!

Final note: I'm not quite certain what the version 002 does for the M1.0t Mk. II other than add more power although Rich describes it as "kicking it into overdrive".
I spent the afternoon listening to the 1.0t downstairs and was just upstairs listening to the 500t and think I may have found a good way of describing the differences.
This will make sense to guitar players. You've got a Gibson Les Paul and you've got the switch in the rhythm position (both pick ups). That's the 500t - lean and clean. You switch to the bridge pick up and that's the 1.0t - you lose some highs but pick up everywhere else.
Both are good, it's just whichever sound you prefer.
Last edited by SteveFord on Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Upstairs:
VTL MB-250 Signature monoblocks, Sonic Frontiers SFL-2 preamp, HHb BurnIt Plus, Well Tempered Labs Classic, Ortofon 2M Black, Jolida JD-9 Phono Preamp, Sherwood S3000-IV tuner, VPI-17, Jolida JD-100, AKG 701, Beyerdynamics 881, NHT SW1-P subwoofer and amp, Magnepan 1.6, APC H15
Downstairs:
VTL DeLuxe 300 Monoblocks, Harman Kardon F500x tuner, Sonic Frontiers SFL-2 preamp, Jolida JD-100, Oppo 981, Otari MX5050 BII, SVS SB-12 subwoofer, Magnepan 3.6
In Storage:
Stax Sigma headphones, signed DTL unit, Magnepan MMGs, Carver TX-11, TX-11a's

snarffydoggy
SILVER-7t

Re: M500t Mk. II vs M1.0t Mk. II.2

Post by snarffydoggy » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:58 pm

I love the $80.oo power cords :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
snarffydoggy

SteveFord
SILVER-7t

Re: M500t Mk. II vs M1.0t Mk. II.2

Post by SteveFord » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:01 am

Yeah, it'd sound like a Wal Mart clock radio without 'em...
Seriously, the ladies are out of the house for a bit so I got to crank it and put on Humble Pie's Rock On.
They hit an open A chord on a single coil Les Paul Jr. and it just EXPLODED out of the speaker like they do with a Marshall amp.
This review can be summed up in one word: WOW!
To use the proper audiophile jargon, this amp kicks ass - if you're looking for a system upgrade and have an M1.0t, box it up and send it to Rich. You'll be astonished when it comes back.
Upstairs:
VTL MB-250 Signature monoblocks, Sonic Frontiers SFL-2 preamp, HHb BurnIt Plus, Well Tempered Labs Classic, Ortofon 2M Black, Jolida JD-9 Phono Preamp, Sherwood S3000-IV tuner, VPI-17, Jolida JD-100, AKG 701, Beyerdynamics 881, NHT SW1-P subwoofer and amp, Magnepan 1.6, APC H15
Downstairs:
VTL DeLuxe 300 Monoblocks, Harman Kardon F500x tuner, Sonic Frontiers SFL-2 preamp, Jolida JD-100, Oppo 981, Otari MX5050 BII, SVS SB-12 subwoofer, Magnepan 3.6
In Storage:
Stax Sigma headphones, signed DTL unit, Magnepan MMGs, Carver TX-11, TX-11a's

Return to “Amplifiers”