TD-1700 vs. TD-1770

Tape Deck Reviews
icravcarver
TFM-25

TD-1700 vs. TD-1770

Post by icravcarver » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:31 pm

Well, here it goes, my first review of two products at one time. Hope someone finds this useful.

As you all know, I recently acquired, within months of each other, a TD-1700 (less remote) and a TD-1770 (with remote). Per Mr.Maddmaxxx request, I am posting my observations here (I didn't want to clutter up the raffle post).

I now have them both hooked up and have only played through them. Have not tried to record yet! (Have to go out and buy some new blank cassettes - if you can believe it). Most of my collection is 14+ years old (both store bought and pre-recoreded), so unfortunately, although I have tried to take good care of them, some of them are not in the best of shape anymore. Of the few that I tried that sounded in decent shape, the 1770 sounds a little brighter than the 1700. Both sound the same as far as transport speed, i.e. one does not appear to sound faster/slower than the other unit, so I think they are calibrated speed wise. (No instrumentation measure here!) As far as my comparison between the two, here is what I like better about the 1770:
1) The eject mechanism operates a little smoother - less effort required to close door once
tape is inserted.
2) The tape counter is a time lapse style as opposed to a straight counter.
3) The headphone jack has its own output level control.

Of the things I am still undecided about -
1) The displays are close as far as pleasing to the eye. However, the 1700 has some red and
green and yellow led's - which can be kind of distracting. Although this makes it easier to
see what kind of tape you are listening to (Cr02, Metal, Normal), while the 1770 positions
the tape type over the proper VU meter setting for the optimum recording levels and is not in the best viewing position.
2) The 1700 has a split record level setting knob, while the 1770 has a single knob with a separate balance control knob.
(Won't know which I prefer until I get to recording - testing to be done in near future).
3) Fast Forward and reverse speeds/times are comparable, and fairly quiet.
4) Push buttons on 1770 for Dolby NR and memory recall, timer, and AMS, vs. slider switches on the 1700

What I like about the 1700 over the 1770 -
1) The tape well is illumiinated (this is kind of nice as you can see the tape distribution on the reels of the cassette).
2) The size and position of the tape transport controls (FF/REW/Play/Rec).
3) Display size for the 1700 is larger and easier to read.

I will post more once I get some blanks and record. I will play with bias tuning and quality of recording. (I plan on recording to both decks at same time from same source then compare the two - first on the deck it was recorded on, then on the other deck). Not too scientific, but adequate for generic comparisions. Hope this helps.
OCCD claims another victim!!

Carver Gear: MAIN SYSTEM: TFM-55; C-16; SD/A-490t; TD-1770; BEDROOM: HR-772
Non Carver Gear: MAIN SYSTEM: Dual CS-530 TT w/Ortofon Super OM10; POLK SDA-1C's; Phillips CDR-775 CD Burner; BSR EQ-300; BEDROOM: T.B.A.

"I may be poor, but I am rich in sound!!"

OBI56
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Re: TD-1700 vs. TD-1770

Post by OBI56 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:57 pm

Sorry to hijack your thread icravcarver, but what is the model number on the remote for our Database? Any information about these 2 units you might have would be greatly appreciated as I have nothing at all on them in the Database.
Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.

icravcarver
TFM-25

Post by icravcarver » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:02 pm

I don't have the remote for the TD-1700. The TD-1770 remote model # is RH-15 and no, it doesn't work with the other deck (already tried it). I plan on taking some high quality pictures of the various remotes so I can put them in the gallery (do we have a spot for them yet?). Have been pretty busy lately - I even missed Bob's welcome wagon to the forum. What a shocker! I'm stoked!

Non Carver Gear: MAIN SYSTEM: Dual CS-530 TT w/Ortofon Super OM10; POLK SDA-1C's; Phillips CDR-775 CD Burner; BSR EQ-300; BEDROOM: T.B.A.

OBI56
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by OBI56 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:35 pm

Thanks icravcarver. I suspect that both decks come from different manufacturers. Could you please get me the FCC-ID numbers from the back of the units and send me the info via PM?
Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.

icravcarver
TFM-25

Post by icravcarver » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:48 pm

Will do tomorrow. Have to go to bed, was up at 3:30 AM thanks to my son, and worked 12hrs today. My pillow is calling me. I took a quick look but I am teary eyed trying to stay awake. Is there any place in particular to look on the backs? I have only found some numbers under the UL labels and then on one of the decks there is what looks like a 30 digit microscopic number on a sticker. Let me know what I am looking for by posting a reply here. I will read and check tomorrow for you. Thanks, and good night OBI.

Return to “Tape Decks”