Carver Amazing Loudspeaker III (NOT the + model)

Speaker Reviews
TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:13 am

Carver Amazing Loudspeaker III

The model pictured is custom finished in a bleached oak. The original finish was available in honey oak or black only.

From the rear:

Rear detail:

Click this link for a short video of these babies in action!
Click here to watch Sunfire-800-watts-into-AL-IIIs

LENGTHY PREFACE: I purchased these babies on eBay in February 2007 for about $850.00 with less than 200 hours total use on them (claimed by the first & only owner). I attempted at that time to use them with a cheap Onkyo amplifier which failed miserably (it would heat up & shut down within 5 seconds of turning the speakers up to anything louder than conversational volume). For a while, I thought I there was a problem with the speakers. I checked them for continuity/resistance with a multi-meter & found no issues. They sat for a while until I acquired a Carver M1.5t amp which had the "oomph" to drive them better, but one channel began overloading (turned out to be shipping damage to the output transformers), so at that point I was really wondering whether I had wasted my money. My initial observations from the M1.5t amp session was that the speakers sounded somewhat "muffled" to me and had muddy sounding bass. Later experimentation with that amp on a pair of Klipsch KLF-10 speakers led me to the realization that the muddiness from the bass had been imparted by the AMP, not the speakers.

Fast forward to the purchase of a Sunfire Tube Control preamplifer & Sunfire 300x2 amp. This combination sounded LIGHT YEARS ahead of what I'd hear from these speakers to this point, although I still couldn't shake the "muffled" sound from the ribbons. I played this combo for about a month at relatively high volume levels and the sound began to open up & become more natural ("burn in" time). These speakers need god-awful amounts of power to really come into their own! That said, however; the more I played them the better they sounded at low volumes. This is one of the VERY few speakers I've found keeps its composure & flat response from very low volume levels to incredibly high volume levels.

I was still a little concerned about a perceived "boominess" in the lower bass of the AL-IIIs at this point & decided to go with jimmyneutron's Infinity woofer upgrade, but went one better and used the Infinity Kappa 10.1 Perfect woofers over jimmy's Infinity Reference 1030 woofer; I'd used the Perfects in my car audio system for quite a while & was extremely happy with them. In fact, the Perfect 10s share a closer sensitivity level with the original AL-III woofers, making them more suited for the correct match. The experiment worked out famously as i found the bass to be much more agreeable to my ear.

I've since replaced the SunfireTube preamp & 300x2 amp with a Sunfire Theater Grand IV preamp & 400x7 amplifier, which has the juice to really put a hurtin' on the AL-IIIs if you're not careful. I couldn't be happier with the AL-IIIs at this point. I've experimented with speaker placement a lot and found it to be CRITICAL to getting an impressive soundstage & is the difference between having the Sonic Holography sound weird or sound great.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Specific observations about the AL-IIIs:

- Use plenty of power to drive them. Remember when choosing an amp that these are FOUR OHM (overall) speakers. They have to be the most inefficient speaker I've ever heard, but when you run lots of clean power into them, they sound FANTASTIC!

- Allow for a relatively long, moderately-high volume break-in period (took me months, but consider the amp issues I had).

- AFTER BREAK-IN with a sufficient amp, the soundstage on these speakers is almost a religious experience. They absolutely require a moderately large room setting and proper speaker placement to get the best sound. Mine currently reside in a 11x12 room and it quite simply doesn't do them justice. These are LARGE speakers (a full 6 feet) and require "room too breathe." They were MADE for Sonic Holography; it sounds magical through them!

- The connection hardware on the back is of a nice quality & very robust. You can really crank 'em down on the connectors. It's also nice to have the option of bi-amping/bi-wiring with the four posts. There are separate 4-amp slo-blo fuses for ribbon/woofer, but use them mainly to keep from frying the crossover (the weakest link in the system).

- I wholeheartedly recommend the Infinity Kappa Perfect 10.1 upgrade. While you're at it, think about upgrading the wires inside the speaker/crossover (very small for a speaker capable of handling up to 600 watts continuously). The Infinity Reference 1030 is not a good replacement as it is too inefficient and drops the response off too much for my taste.

-You absolutely need to biamp these speakers for best effect. I'm currently running the ribbons thru the mains channel of my 400~7 amp and the woofers thru the Surround channels, with the inputs daisy-chained into the amp (read the amp review for details). This gives me 800 watts available power into EACH of the ribbons/woofers. MORE than enough to blow fuses!

- My personal preference/room required settings for the three potentiometers on the back of the AL-IIIs are as follows (your preferences/requirements may vary)

- Low: full maximum
- Midrange: one notch above "Room Average Flat" setting
- High: one notch below maximum

- Except for the very lowest of bass notes, the response on these speakers is outstanding. I've played around with a Klipsch RT-12d subwoofer below 40 hertz & it does help supplement the bass down to below 20 hertz. I've found there to be very little material in that range in most music. If, like me, however--you enjoy the impact from the occasional notes you "feel" rather than hear--it's a nice addition.

-Bela Fleck & the Flecktones bassist, Victor Wooten, plays some ULTRA LOW notes on the song "Flight Of The Cosmic Hippo" from their CD of the same name and these speakers really shine on that song. I wouldn't have thought one 10" woofer in a small, ported enclosure could produce the extension that it does, and generally without sounding muddy even at monstrous power levels (600 watts+).

- I own a complete Klipsch RF-83 surround system ($6,400.00 retail), and, while fantastic for HT and many music applications, I find myself doing my critical two-channel listening on my "old" AL-IIIs....
Last edited by TNRabbit on Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:19 am

*Review edited for additional comments*
TNRabbit

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

stereo_buff
TFM-55

Post by stereo_buff » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:40 pm

I read your review with much interest as I too have a pair of AL-III loudspeakers which are, incidentally, being driven by a M1.5t amplifier, coupled to a 4000t preamp. As for the booming bass, I haven't noticed that, but perhaps it is because I am using a Sunfire True Subwoofer to supplant the lower end. In addition, I had Rita at Sunfire go through my M1.5t literally just a few weeks prior to Sunfire's outsourcing the repair of Carver units to Hi-Tech. I don't know if that makes a difference, but I am happy. =P~ I have heard about both the Infinity woofer upgrade as well as the internal wire swap, but have not felt lacking enough that I have been motivated to make the change to my pair.

I am looking to upgrade to a Sunfire Signature amplifier as I have heard nothing but great things about them and trust they will do my AL-III justice as well.

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Re: Carver Amazing Loudspeaker III (NOT the + model)

Post by TNRabbit » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:47 am

I found these reviews of the AL-IIIs online recently:

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers ... px#review0

Here's the text in case the link goes away:

Rating
Reviewed by:

Jim and Tootie
(AudioPhile)

Review Date
January 20, 2005

Overall Rating
5 of 5

Value Rating
5 of 5

Used product for
More than 1 year

Visitors rate this review
5.00 of 5, 1.00 votes

Rate this review?

Review 1 of 39

Price Paid: $1800.00 from Hawkeye Audio

Summary:
I have always been impressed by planar speaker sound so when I stopped in at my local audio store they had the Carvers on sale and took my Paradigm monitors on trade for what I paid. So I only had to pay $1100 for a brand new pair in 1993.I agree with all the comments about these speakers. My electronics at that time were very high end. Audio Research D90B modified tube amp and a SP9MKII preamp. While this amp was only 90W/RMS it produced massive current due to huge capacitors and transformers. Theses made the Carvers sing. So better amps will only make them sound better. The bass is excellent. You do not need subwoofers. One more note. This product was named as one of the top 50 speaker designs of all time. So they are rapidly becoming collectors items. Current ribbon speakers are cost prohibitive and do not sound much different than the Carvers.

Strengths:
Best speaker for the money and one of the beat period that you can own.

Weaknesses:
Need strong clean amp and good sized room.

Similar Products Used:
Dahlquist DQ10

Would you like to Comment?
Join audioReview for a free account, or Login if you are already a member.

Rating
Reviewed by:
Anthony Luke(Unregistered User)
(AudioPhile)

Review Date
December 9, 2003

Overall Rating
5 of 5

Value Rating
5 of 5

Used product for
More than 1 year

5.00 of 5, 2.00 votes

Rate this review?

Review 2 of 39

Price Paid: $2000.00 from toronto

Summary:
great speakers. Hands down one of the best for the money. Paired up with good cables and a great cd player one is in sonic nirvana. The open natural sound is intoxicating. Martin Logans are only slighly better... but for a whole lot more. Oneis able to pick out each intrument and there location within the sinic field. Amazing!! Get kimber silver streak cables. They are a perfect match for the carvers.

Strengths:
pen natural sound. Great for classical to Heavy House Grooves. Plays louder than live and great for low level baroque pieces and jazz trios.

Weaknesses:
Moving the Suckers

Similar Products Used:
tried 'em all.

Rating
Reviewed by:
Jay (Unregistered User)
(AudioPhile)

Review Date
July 23, 2003

Overall Rating
5 of 5

Value Rating
5 of 5

Used product for
Less than 1 month

5.00 of 5, 1.00 votes

Rate this review?

Review 3 of 39

Price Paid: $1000.00 from via internet

Summary:
I've owned speakers from a variety of manufacturers over the years ... Pinnacle, Polk, KLH, AR, Realistic, and so on. Never had an electrostatic or a ribbon, though I've heard Martin Logans and Maggies, and like their transparency, among other traits. Recently purchased a set of the ALS III+'s and all I can say is "wow". I read EVERY review I could find before deciding this would be my next set of speakers. I bought them without even hearing them based upon what I had read. There is very sound theory behind using a minimal number of drivers to cover the entire audible range. No phase shift between drivers. Smoother response. Less glare, etc, etc, not to mention the dipole radiation pattern gives a nature 'air' as it most closely approximates the way sound emanates in a live environment. All of it simply makes sense. In a nutshell: The Carvers are awesome. They're also hungry, feed them sufficient good clean power and they will reward you with the sound you've probably been looking for. They sing like angels. These ARE the real deal. I think I'm in love~!! (lol)

Strengths:
Imaging. Presence. Vocal reproduction. Bass punch. Clarity. They have it all.

Weaknesses:
Size. Weight. Power hungry. Sound somewhat 'distant' at low volume levels. Hard to find nowadays ... no one wants to sell~!! Look for the new ALS 5's due out shortly from the newly reborn Carver, with Bob Carver back at the helm where he belongs~!!

Similar Products Used:
AR, Polk, Pinnacle, KLH, Realistic, etc.

Rating
Reviewed by:
James(Unregistered User)
(Audio Enthusiast)

Review Date
November 9, 2001

Overall Rating
5 of 5

Value Rating
5 of 5

Used product for
More than 1 year

3.00 of 5, 1.00 votes

Rate this review?

Review 4 of 39

Price Paid: $1700.00

Summary:
I have listened to these speakers for about 6 years now. I bought them after several years of shopping to replace our Boston Acoustic T1000’s. These speakers were the only speakers I have heard that give me a truly transcendent experience. But, I don’t shop much now. Even after all this time, they can still amaze me. I have never reached their full potential.

Physically. these speakers are imposing and dominate the room that they are in. They do not take up much floor space, but the height of the ribbon panel draws your attention.

These are complex speakers in design and sound. They can sound bad or good depending on how they are set up in a room and what equipment is used with them. This probably accounts for some of the conflicting statements made in the previous reviews

Experiment a lot with placement. Not easy with these 85 lb speakers. These are dipole speakers. They put out just as much sound from the rear of the ribbon panel as they do from the front. So, their relationship to the wall behind them, and to the rest of the room is important. They need to sit further out in the room than most people are used to placing their speakers. If they are placed to close to the wall behind them they will sound muddy. They should not be placed against the side wall. Objects behind the speakers have an effect on the sound. It is tempting to set accent lights just behind the ribbon, on top of the woofer. Resist the urge.

Properly placed, these speaker have a sound that is so balanced that you tend to play them louder, with less ear fatigue, than you would other speaker systems. When properly set up, there are no large peaks in the frequency spectrum to make these speakers sound artificially loud like a bad table radio does. They also do not develop harsh peaks when they play loud. As you turn them up you can quickly lose perspective on just how loud they are playing.

These speakers will reveal problems in the other components in a stereo chain. Don’t worry about this. At first you will be overwhelmed by the sound of the speakers and the improvement they make in your stereo system. Existing problems will not get worse just because you added these speakers (unless your amp is not up to driving the speakers, or your previous speakers hid an existing problem). But, later when you change out components you will hear more difference between the old and new than you would with most other speakers. When auditioning new stereo equipment, at the least, listen to the new component on an equally revealing system at the showroom. Take the component home if you can.

There is some confusion about the power needed to drive these speakers in the previous reviews. These speakers are not as power hungry as most planar speakers, but are more power hungry than most cone based speakers. They are low impedance speakers, approx. 4 ohm. And, they have the ability to reproduce a very wide dynamic range. This can make them hard to drive.

Can lesser amps play these speakers? Sure they can. And possibly sound more beautiful at lower volumes than a powerful amp. Just don’t expect them to play loud without problems.

These speakers need a lot of current to play dynamic full range music at concert volumes. After much research on power amps I settled on a PS Audio Delta 100. The Delta 100 can be found used these days for $450, and there are lots of other amps out there with the PS Audio’s qualities. This power amp is rated at only 100 watts per channel, but it is capable of delivering huge amounts of current over short periods of time. This is due to the output capacitors. They are HUGE. Capacitors this large have the ability to deliver lots of current very fast. These capacitors are capable of taking care of large musical peaks. The output transistors are also large. They can take the heat of continuous loud music without damage. With this amp and these speakers, your neighbors may complain before your system does. These speakers also benefit from an amp with a high dampening factor.

Ribbon drivers have special qualities. The ribbon on this speaker has the mass of a conventional tweeter and the surface area of an 8 inch cone speaker. This is why it can play loud and clean. However, ribbons have resonance’s. This ribbon has a resonance around 3000 Hz, right where the ear is most sensitive. There is even a knob for adjusting this frequency on the back on the speaker. If the speaker sounds harsh (or dull), try adjusting this knob to get a good balance. Because of these resonance’s, ribbons do no produce the highest frequencies as well as the best tweeters. If these speakers seem to have too much high frequency, the 3000 Hz resonance may need adjustment, or there is a problem in the system, either with the speakers or another component.

You are more likely to blow the woofer, or your amp before blowing the ribbon. This happened at the showroom where we bought our speakers. The ribbon is well protected from damage. Our ribbon has shown no signs of problems from being stretched after six years. We don’t play them loud very often or for very long.

These speakers are very musical, and a bargain for it.

Strengths:
Musicality, transparency, dynamics.

Weaknesses:
Hard to set up. Big.

Rating
Reviewed by:
Kevin(Unregistered User)
(Audio Enthusiast)

Review Date
August 20, 2001

Overall Rating
5 of 5

Value Rating
5 of 5

Used product for
1 to 3 months

4.00 of 5, 2.00 votes

Rate this review?

Review 5 of 39

Price Paid: $1000.00 from Pre-owned

Summary:
The ALSIII+'s were purchased 2nd hand out of the local newspaper. The original owner took obvious good care of these speakers and was driving them with a big Adcom amp. I had been using Vandersteen 2ce's for about 4 years but always wanted a dynamic/ribbon loudspeaker since hearing several of the Apogee line years ago. Don't get me wrong, I like the Vandersteen product line alot and still own 'em!

Like all audio 'types' we get the urge to move on and try new stuff. Well, sometimes used is just as good and this is what I have found with the Carvers.

Soaring vocals, sizzling hi-hats, fat tasty horns, articulate basslines and sometimes jaw dropping performances out of well recorded music. Of course, lousy stuff sounds lousy :) but it ain't the speakers fault! What many will not believe is the associated components now being used with the ALSIIIs:

Rotel 800 series cd player
B&K ST 140 amp!
B&K Pro? 5 preamp!
Onkyo tuner
Audioquest type '4' cables, bi-wired.
Audioquest interconnects (da cheep ones)

I listen to mostly alternative, brit, psychedelic, garage rock as well as modern jazz, a little classical and other modern stuff like Radiohead, REM, Maniacs, Cowboy Junkies, Oasis, Who, Stones, Beatles etc etc etc. As I said, well recorded music sounds great even on this budget system. Yes, if we rock out, the amp gets hot. But at low to moderate levels the little B&K holds up really well!

Find a pair of these 6' monsters and be prepared to be blown away. I am 110% satisfied. Nuf Ced.

Strengths:
Imaging, dynamics, presence.

Weaknesses:
None

Similar Products Used:
Merlin, Vandersteen

Rating
Reviewed by:
Jaime De La Garza(Unregistered User)
(Audiophile)

Review Date
July 20, 2001

Overall Rating
5 of 5

Value Rating
5 of 5

Used product for
More than 1 year

3.00 of 5, 3.00 votes

Rate this review?

Review 6 of 39

Price Paid: $2200.00 from Discovery Audio

Summary:
First thing's first. I am NOT a Carver fan - their amps sound harsh and 2 dimensional, and their pre-amps "break" all the time (ironically I own a Carver Sunfire Theater Grand pre-amp and I just Love it; go figure). But these speakers are second to only the Martin Logans. They are simply beautiful! Music is (really) 3-dimensional, clear, exact, pin-point, you name it. I have had these speakers for 7 years and have NO plans on replacing them. They are bullet proof (i've heard of ribbons going out, but none of that here). They are easy to drive (I had a Pioneer reciever powering these speakers for a few years and they just sounded amazing). I now have a pair of DENON POA-S10 mono-blocks driving them bi-wired, with a Sunfire Theater Grand. Let me tell you, NO smaller speaker will sound more 3-dimensional and realistic as these (actually, i'm sure there are better sounding systems), but honestly, these are INCREDIBLY AWESOME speakers. You MUST use a high-current amplifier with these babies. That much more control that high current amps offer will make these babies sound the way they should. You can not go wrong with these speakers. If you have the room for these 6 foot tall speakers, and have quality components, and a Hi-current amp, you will not be disappointed.

System includes:
Sunfire Theater Grand Pre-amp
Denon POA-S10 mono blocks (mains)
Denon POA-8300 (center, surrounds)
Boston Acoustics center and surrounds
Denon DVD-2500
SONY SAT-A55 DSS
Phoenix Gold Reference II speaker cable (bi-wire)
Blah, blah, blah...

As with any system, you must use the best possible cable, connections, components, etc, that you can afford. Do it right the first time, and you'll be rewarded for many years to come.

Strengths:
Imaging

Weaknesses:
None ever found

Similar Products Used:
Paradigm, Klpich, Boston Acoustics

Rating
Reviewed by:
LarryT(Unregistered User)
(Audiophile)

Review Date
May 2, 2001

Overall Rating
5 of 5

Value Rating
5 of 5

Used product for
More than 1 year

5.00 of 5, 1.00 votes

Rate this review?

Review 7 of 39

Price Paid: $1400.00 from Retail

Summary:
These speakers reproduce beautiful music. For those of you who complain of bass response, all you need is an adequate preamp and amp. These speakers deserve a fine amplification system, and you will be greatly rewarded if you equip them well.

If any of you are considering a sub because of the bass response, I can assure you that all you need is a better amp or preamp for tight, powerful bass. Don't waste your money or musical performance on a sub!

These speakers are EXCELLENT for any kind of music. If you can find a pair, buy them.

Strengths:
Beautiful Music

Weaknesses:
None

Similar Products Used:
OLD AR's, OLD Altec Lansings, and more

Rating
Reviewed by:
Richard Gathers(Unregistered User)
(Audio Enthusiast)

Review Date
April 11, 2001

Overall Rating
5 of 5

Value Rating
5 of 5

Used product for
More than 1 year

3.00 of 5, 1.00 votes

Rate this review?

Review 8 of 39

Price Paid: $1500.00 from Audio Salon

Summary:
I was amazed by these speakers. I was not a Carver fan until I heard them. These speakers are very easy to power. You can hear every note, the instrutments being played individually, and together. I have a fairly large room where these are setup and they do the room justice. They are bi-amp with two 1962 1568 Altec-Lansing Vacuum Tube ampliers on the ribbons and a Carver TFM 25 on the bottom end. I did powered them with the Altec's(40 watts per ch)when I first got them. These amps had no problems powering them. Later on I got the TFM 25, so I bi-amp. Very pleasing sound from these speakers. Of all the speaker I've had these by far are best.

Weaknesses:
I found no weakness in these jewels.

Similar Products Used:
Klipsch corner horns, Kef 104's, AR 9's,Krell KSA 100 amp

Rating
Reviewed by:
j(Unregistered User)
(Audio Enthusiast)

Review Date
March 8, 2001

Overall Rating
5 of 5

Value Rating
5 of 5

Used product for
More than 1 year

Rate this review?

Review 9 of 39

Price Paid: $1300.00

Summary:
These speakers are definitely the most satisfing that i have ever owned. like a previous reviewer, i have not shopped for speakers since buying these - 1994! i have listened to other fine speakers since only to think "thank god i have the carvers"!

after blowing a carver tfm-55 recently, i purchased an odyssey stratos 150. anyone looking for an amp to power their carvers should try the stratos (odysseyaudio.com and see the reviews here at audio review). believe me when i say that the carver amp PALES in comparison to the stratos. i agree with the previous reviewer who stated that bi-amping did not work well for him. wiht the stratos you definitely don't need to consider bi-amping. my owners manual states that it is preferale to use a single amp, although the design is perfect for bi-amping.

someone said that the bass was weak? jsut get an adequate amp - a single amp. again - the stratos produces a tight, strong bass, much better than the tfm - 55 which was great.
you have to remember that many recordings have WEAK bass and that your equipment will only give you what is on the recording unless you enhance with loudness/equilization, etc. when the bass is in the recording the carvers, teamed with the right amp will knock you down.

i noticed that carver is due to release the AL- V in a few months. 300w @ 8 ohm, 48 in ribbon with 12" woofer, if i recall. price? about $5000! MAN, I'M GLAD I HAVE MY AL-lll's!

Strengths:
incredible soundstage, clarity, detail, speed. separate controls for bass Q, midrange and high.

Weaknesses:
none

Rating
Reviewed by:
jay eitch(Unregistered User)
(Audio Enthusiast)

Review Date
January 21, 2001

Overall Rating
5 of 5

Value Rating
5 of 5

Used product for
More than 1 year

Rate this review?

Review 10 of 39

Price Paid: $1150.00 from austin tx retail audio

Summary:

whatever your brand of music, you will, for the first time, actually hear every instrument, voice, and cough in the audience for the first time.

huge soundstage. take a bach organ fugue - sounds like the pipes are in your music room...really! incredible! you have the sense that instruments are playing up and down the dipole ribbon.

i have owned these babies since 1993. before buying, i listened to every speaker at every shop in austin. my budget was 5000+ for speakers. i bought the carvers and have not been speaker shopping since...can you really think of a better endorsement? i could not find a better speaker for all around music at any price. as i really like a diversity of music, the all around capability was my most important criteria. i may add a subwoofer, but this will be to enhance movies rather than music, but i really don't think it needs it.

Bi-amping: Carver himself states that ALIII's were desigined NOT to be bi-amped. i tried bi-amping, but almost immediately went back to the single amp. if you do bi-amp, the ribbon requires MUCH more power than the woofer, so use your most powerful amp on the ribbon (this is according to carver, as well).

POWER: ok, guys and gals. my carver tm-35 just went out today. that fact put me on the web and landed me here. my ALIII's are running right now on a consumer grade pioneer vsx-9600 125w/ch with fair dynamic range (185 into 2 ?) purchased circa 1989. (yup, it has lasted longer than the tm 35!) i haven't tried to max them out yet ( 'cause my son is asleep), but i alrealdy know that the pioneer will drive them beyond a level that i will permit my son use! i promise to update this review if the pioneer proves inadequate - that is, if it fails to drive the speakers in a larger than average, semi-open listening area at a dedicated listening level, but not loud. i confess that i am a little surprised that the pioneer is handling the task. i have listened to mostly rock during this experiment, and have yet to get a clip...we'll see what tomorrow brings.

Strengths:
whatever your brand of music, you will, for the first time, actually hear every instrument, voice, and cough in the audience for the first time(and, yes, i actually heard coughs in the audience in a cd of a baroque concert).

you name the genre, and it handles it.

Weaknesses:
perhaps power, but that is debatable.

Similar Products Used:
more than i can remember...

Rating
Reviewed by:
Dave Enrietto(Unregistered User)
(Audio Enthusiast)

Review Date
October 30, 2000

Overall Rating
4 of 5

Value Rating
5 of 5

Used product for
More than 1 year

Rate this review?

Review 11 of 39

Price Paid: $1400.00 from August Systems Champaign ILL

Summary:
I've owned these speakers since 1992 and they sound fantastic. I recently discovered that one of the ribbon drivers is out of phase with the subwoofer. I don't know if they were wired this way intentionally or not. I can't think of any reason to wire them out of phase intentionally.

How do I know this? I have the Toy Story 2 DVD. On that DVD there is a series of THX audio and video tests. There are phase tests comparing in and out of phase noise between the main left and right, center and main right, main right and left rear and left and right rear. All of the tests sounded correct EXCEPT the main left and right test. This was easy to correct since you can remove the jumpers between the ribbon and woofer and run revesed speaker leads between the two. I also verified the DVD phase test with a different pair of speakers and the test is phased correctly on the DVD, otherwise the 2nd pair of speakers would have sounded similar to the Carvers with respect to phase. Anyway, if you own these speakers, I would rent the Toy Story 2 disk and check it out for yourself. I'm glad I did.

Strengths:
Great Sound

Weaknesses:
Out of phase, foam rubber surrounds on woofers.

Rating
Reviewed by:
tim Lee(Unregistered User)
(Audiophile)

Review Date
September 14, 2000

Overall Rating
2 of 5

Value Rating
3 of 5

Used product for
More than 1 year

Rate this review?

Review 12 of 39

Summary:
i had these monsters for over a year way back in 90. I like reading the overly hyped critiques by owners who really arent fessing up to this speakers shortcomings. I spent ages setting these up in every configuration and room size and damping possible. I also tried these with every cable and equipment type imaginable. the strenghts are in a seamless midrange and amazing soundstage. weaknesses are thin(but ranged) bass that nothing can really cure. Highs can be very bright except with the finest and darker yin of yang amps. dont get me wrong i had lots of enjoyment from these but in the end they are flawed in the areas mentioned and i would prefer less superior midrange in exchange for unflawed bass and treble. would i pay 1500 for these now- no would i play around with high pass crossovers and subs with the carver midrange drivers for under 500$- sure.

Strengths:
superior midrange, great soundstage, disappears

Weaknesses:
treble can be very bright and harsh with poor amplification, bass is light and leaves you looking for more

Rating
Reviewed by:
Eric Schwartz(Unregistered User)
(Audiophile)

Review Date
June 1, 2000

Overall Rating
5 of 5

Value Rating
5 of 5

Used product for
More than 1 year

Rate this review?

Review 13 of 39

Summary:
I've owned my AL-III's for about 4 years, and absolutely love them! They are the most "open" sounding speaker I've ever listened to, and they have a superb sound stage.

The speakers obviously sound best in 2-Channel Stereo, but I also use mine for my Front L/R in 5.1 Surround, and they sound amazing!

Bottom line is that these are the one of the best sounding speakers money can buy. Given the fact that you can no longer buy them new, if you're looking for a great speaker that will perform beyond your expectations, grab the next pair you come across!!!

I've heard they're selling for as much as $3000 on the Internet!

Happy Listening,
Eric

Strengths:
True Audiphile Speaker with beautiful electrostatic ribben driver!

Weaknesses:
None!

Similar Products Used:
Carver TFM-55 Amp

Rating
Reviewed by:
Scott(Unregistered User)
(Audio Enthusiast)

Review Date
May 19, 2000

Overall Rating
5 of 5

Value Rating
5 of 5

Used product for
More than 1 year

Rate this review?

Review 14 of 39

Summary:
After upgrading to the Lexicon MC-1, I had been in the market for a 3rd pair of ALIII+ speakers for the sides so as to benefit from the 7.1 Logic 7 capability of the MC-1. I finally found them. The only tough part on the sides was figuring out speaker placement. With a fairly narrow room I could not put them out from the side walls the 3-4 feet necessary. I have them slightly forward of the listening position and angled in at about a 35 degree angle next to the wall. This seems to be the best angle to get the side speakers to perform their magic. The front and rear speakers are about 40 inches out from the walls behind them. The ALIII+ speakers only have a sweet spot when they are not positioned properly. When positioned correctly, there is no sweet spot! When the sound sounds like it is coming from behind the speaker, then you have them placed correctly. When positioned correctly, the sound is everywhere! The front speakers are biamped with two Carver A-760x amps. The side speakers are biamped with two Carver A-760x amps. The rears are biamped as well, having an
A-760x for the ribbons and an A-753x for the woofers. The third channel of the A-753x powers the center channel. Also use a Velodyne F1800-RII though if you don't have a sub with these speakers it is not the end of the world. The ALIII+, I think, is quite good in the bass department. For center I currently use a Von Schweikert LCR-31 but have been looking for a ribbon center speaker that is better timber matched to the ALIII+. I have found it! All of you check out http://www.soundlineaudio.com/html/product_5.html I have not gotten to hear this speaker yet but am getting ready for an in-theater trial. I have powered the ALIII+ with an A-760x and in my opinion it was not enough power. When you biamp these speakers they come to life. You can't appreciate it until you hear the difference that bi-amping makes. I thought they sounded great with the one amp, but with two per pair, they sound better the louder they are played. I would put these speakers up against any out there at any price.

Strengths:
Clarity, Openness, Soundstage, Power

Weaknesses:
Room needed for speaker placement

Rating
Reviewed by:
tom holzman(Unregistered User)
(Audiophile)

Review Date
May 16, 2000

Overall Rating
5 of 5

Value Rating
5 of 5

Used product for
More than 1 year

Rate this review?

Review 15 of 39

Summary:
The best free standing speakers ever made - far better than electrostatics or film speakers. Clarity and presence are beyond belief. Imagine the Berlin Philharmonic in your house or African tribal music live. I too picked up a pair at Circuit City for $1150. Mine are powered with a Carver 760x. In the dark with the volume up you will not believe such an experience was possible in this plane of existence...

Strengths:
stunning presence, superb power and control, the ONLY word is amazing

Weaknesses:
your amp could get sucked into them and you'll never see it again

Rating
Reviewed by:
Don Kennedy(Unregistered User)
(Audio Enthusiast)

Review Date
April 22, 2000

Overall Rating
5 of 5

Value Rating
5 of 5

Used product for
More than 1 year

Rate this review?

Review 16 of 39

Summary:
The Carver speakers are outstanding and liveup to all reviews and Bob Carvers claims of "Amazing".

Strengths:
We have a very open house - one that can be filled with sound. Our Carver speakers do just that and they are the best speakers I have ever heard. Over the years I have owned many different types and heard (at trade shows, show rooms, demos ect) just about all speaker types on the market. Yes they are power hogs but at the price of amps nowdays one can easily afford to "power" them. Bi-amping is the only way to go! I can easily push 1000w/speaker with my gear - all Carver. If you really want a test get the TELARC 1812 and the cannons will move something in your house. Try to spend a little more on your CD player to get the max from the CD's and the speakers. I saw a review where some guy got a pair at a Circuit City for $1150! Thief, why did he not post a notice for all the rest of us? On can always us more speakers "he who dies with the most speakers wins?" Great speakers try to find some if you do not have them.

Weaknesses:
Do need real power amps.

Similar Products Used:
Too many to list - I go back to tube days!

Rating
Reviewed by:
Mike Alvarez(Unregistered User)
(Audiophile)

Review Date
March 28, 2000

Overall Rating
5 of 5

Value Rating
5 of 5

Used product for
More than 1 year

Rate this review?

Review 17 of 39

Summary:
I have them bi-amped with 2 carver TFM15-CB power amps for a total of 400 watts; they will play quite loud with this but sometimes I wish I had a little more power anyway. I added a Sunfire sub but then the bass was ridiculous. I took it off. The ALIIIs don't need a sub. They sound better than headphones. Put in a CD and BAM! you're there in the performance, in the music, not the gear. I'm impressed.

Strengths:
Extremely detailed sound, exacting sound stage imaging, airy tranparent colorless sound.

Weaknesses:
none

Rating
Reviewed by:
Stan Witkowski(Unregistered User)
(Audiophile)

Review Date
February 17, 2000

Overall Rating
5 of 5

Value Rating
5 of 5

Used product for
More than 1 year

Rate this review?

Review 18 of 39

Summary:
I could not have bought a pair of better sounding speakers for the money I spent. I paid around $2,000.00 in 1995, and still feel that they were worth every penny. They also look great with all the oak wood in the home theatre area of our home. Bob Carver's genius have made wonderful, reliable, fantastic sounding products available for the working man (with a family) that rival any millionaire's budget.

Strengths:
The image is not percieved as coming from the speaker, it seems to just BE THERE in the room. The midrange and upper frquencies are crisp and transparent. The bass is tight and deep. For years, I did not use a separate subwoofer. I felt that I did not have a lack of bass; however, adding a Sunfire Signature in '99 added an exciting enhancement.

Weaknesses:
None

Similar Products Used:
I have not owned, but listed with great joy to Magnepans, Apogee, and Carver's Amazing loudspeaker.

Rating
Reviewed by:
Robert Glover, II(Unregistered User)
(Audiophile)

Review Date
December 24, 1999

Overall Rating
5 of 5

Value Rating
5 of 5

Used product for
More than 1 year

Rate this review?

Review 19 of 39

Summary:
I have owned these speaker for almost 3 years, and wouldn't trade them for the world! I just purchased another set for the rear channel of my home theater. I can't wait until they get here. What can I say about these speakers? They're tall, about 6 feet tall, with the longest ribbon tweeter ever built. The sound quality is uncomparable in this price range ($2000/pair). To be honest, you'd have to spend at least double that to approach the quality of these speakers. They have a very wide soundstage, with realistic tones. You won't need a subwoofer for a high-quality home theater, or audio sound. Trust me on that. Buy some spikes for them if you've got them on carpet, though. I'm running these speakers with two vintage Yamaha M-85 power amplifiers, into 4 ohms. Total wattage per channel (RMS) is around 500-650 watts. I'd suggest at least 300wpc. My suggestion: If you ever see a pair of these HAND BUILT speakers for sale, get them!

Strengths:
Best sound quality obtainable in this price range
Very wide soundstage

Weaknesses:
Power hungry (not a problem for me). Bi-amping is the ONLY way to do it!

Similar Products Used:
Martin Logan

Rating
Reviewed by:
Dennis(Unregistered User)
(Audiophile)

Review Date
November 25, 1999

Overall Rating
5 of 5

Value Rating
5 of 5

Used product for
3 months to 1 year

Rate this review?

Review 20 of 39

Summary:
Good speaker with the price is fair

Strengths:
I had this pair of speakers 5 months .It make me very happy with the sound .The sound is very clean and clear
If you can find one ,buy it

Weaknesses:
The side is really big you have to have the big room for it

Similar Products Used:
Carver Amazing

Rating
Reviewed by:
Dan Smith(Unregistered User)
( an Audio Enthusiast)

Review Date
August 21, 1999

Overall Rating
5 of 5

Rate this review?

Review 21 of 39

Summary:
Bought them in December of '98 at a camera / audio store going out of business (1/2 price). I hadn't listened to them but had read something about them in the past and thought at $1000.00 why not. Now I would like to have another pair of them. Just to have them. That is how good they are. If you find a pair, get them, hook them up, and don't get hung up too much on what you are driving them with.

Rating
Reviewed by:
<none>(Unregistered User)

Review Date
July 14, 1999

Overall Rating
5 of 5

Rate this review?

Review 22 of 39

Summary:
The Carver AL-III Plus is a large (14.5"w x 16.5"d x 72.5"h, weighing 80 lbs. each) two way speaker with a 48" ribbon driver handling the frequencies above 150 Hz and a 10" down firing woofer handling the lower frequencies. They are nominally 4 ohms, and are fairly inefficient at 86 dB @ 1 watt @ 1 meter. However, they are not nearly as inefficient as many of the posts below seem to indicate (as can be told also from the specifications above), and I can only suppose that many of the people below are tempted to play them very loud because they like it very loud. They may end up losing their hearing, which would be most unfortunate, particularly as these are great sounding speakers. Carver's suggested minimum amplifier power of 65 watts seems quite reasonable to me, as I have heard them at uncomfortable levels in a large room at about that power (I used the power meters on the amp to judge this, being careful to multiply the reading by two for the 8 ohm calibrated meters). While it is true that they do not reproduce bass as well as a good subwoofer (Carver claims a frequency response of 34-20,000 Hz, +/- 3 dB), the bass is more than adequate for most music. Frankly, I do not know what to add to what has already been stated by others reviewing these speakers, except to say that speakers do not get much better than these at any price. Sure, you can get a little more bass, or they may be slightly better in some other way, but I have never heard any speaker that is significantly better, even at many times their price.

Rating
Reviewed by:
Pete in Florida(Unregistered User)
( an Audiophile)

Review Date
July 2, 1999

Overall Rating
4 of 5

Rate this review?

Review 23 of 39

Summary:
I've owned the ALS-IIIs for about 2 years now and I just came across this site.I agree with the other reviewers and emphasize that cones or spikes really
clean up the sound of the speakers on carpet. Room placement is critical and
a minimum of 3 ft from the back wall is needed to attenuate the rear wave and
maximize the imaging capabilities of these remarkable speakers. You will also
cut the HF zing coming off the back wall at the same time. Finally, they are
transistor power hungry...but I'm running a 40 WPC tube amp with no problems.
(A 1964 HK Citation V, stock). I switched after running a Hafler 220 on the ribbons and a Hafler 500 on the woofer - they never seemed powerful enough.
And they ran hot, even at low volume...

Now the system sounds good and I rarely run out of headroom. These speakers are almost a purely resistive load (at 3.6 ohms) which tubes (push-pull, not single ended) match very well. Or maybe I just don't listen that loud? Anyway...before spending lots on multiple solid state amps I'd suggest auditioning a good 35 to
65 watt push-pull tube amp to get a different perspective on these speakers. I
have even driven them with a 3 watt 2A3 single ended amp - not loud, but really
clean.

Rating
Reviewed by:
Tom W(Unregistered User)
( an Audio Enthusiast)

Review Date
June 30, 1999

Overall Rating
5 of 5

Rate this review?

Review 24 of 39

Summary:
I puchased a pair of AL-IIIs about a year & half ago through mail order,& at a substantial savings, at what i think is a good price ($1500/pair, after hearing a pair at a local Ciruit City & falling in love with them, even though they were way underpowered. After getting them in place, i hooked a KENWOOD amp rated at 250 watts @4ohms, this did not do them justice. So on the advice of a friend i decided to get a QSC professional amp rated at 500 watts @4ohms. This does a good job, but if you are thinking of buying a pair(BTW, they can only be bought through the factory, to my knoledge), & you have a really big room you will probably need more power. They produce incredible bass, more than the four large speakers i use as my mains in my HT,(i only use them for music),& i also turn my sunfire sub off when listening to then. There imaging & soundstage is incredible, & the louder you play them the better they sound,(they do not "lose there sound" as some speakers do, & they sound better the further away you are. "It would be nice to have a bigger house". The only downsides are they are very heavy & awkward to move & have a low sensitivity of 86 db, "i think it may even be lower" because they are very power hungry. But if you have a big house & money for a good amp they are well worth it!

Rating
Reviewed by:
Lars(Unregistered User)
( an Audio Enthusiast)

Review Date
May 6, 1999

Overall Rating
5 of 5

Rate this review?

Review 25 of 39

Summary:
These speakers are amazing. The sound quality and soundstage are great. The cymbals sound real and the sound doesn't seem to come from one single place like regular speakers. I had listen to many planar speakers like Martin Logans, Apogees, etc. and for the price they don't come close to what Al III deliver. A lot of ban for the buck. I paid about $1500 a year ago. Too bad they are not selling them any more.

Rating
Reviewed by:
Michael A. Rouse(Unregistered User)
( an Audio Enthusiast)

Review Date
February 9, 1999

Overall Rating
5 of 5

Rate this review?

Review 26 of 39

Summary:
Just one word: WOW! I bought a pair direct from Carver in December of '97, and I must say that it is about the best Christmas present I've ever got. It's matched with a Carver A-760x amp, ct-26v preamp, and Onkyo 7911 Integra Gold CD player. Vocals are truly amazing -- the theme song to Titanic will almost bring tears to your eyes, even after being overplayed on every other stereo system known to man. If you have an amp powerful enough and can pick up a pair in good condition, run (don't walk) out and get them. Sure, they're big, sensitive to placement, and power hogs, but they are beautiful to listen to. Just to have my dad come over and say "Hey, it sounds like the singer is right between your speakers -- is it supposed to do that?" makes it well worth the price ;-)

Rating
Reviewed by:
Scott Chasin(Unregistered User)
( an Audiophile)

Review Date
January 2, 1999

Overall Rating
5 of 5

Rate this review?

Review 27 of 39

Summary:
When I first got these speakers home, they sounded a bit muffled I would say. I have heard these speakers require a break-in period of about 30 hours. I found that was not quite enough. After about 1 month of listening, these speakers hit their stride. If you think they sound great, wait till you get a lot of power behind them. I first had a Carver 55x. Not enough power. I upgraded to the A760x. In my opinion, better, but not enough power. I purchase another A760x and bi-amped the speakers. One A760x drives the woofers, the other drives the ribbons. UNREAL!!! These speakers are rated at 600 watts into 8 ohms, I'm giving them 760 watts. What a match! The louder you play the speakers, the better they sound! And when you think they won't sound any better, I turn it up a little more! I've gone into very high end stores just to hear the salesman brag about the $5000 amps and $10000 speakers in their DD Theater. My Carver's along with the Velodyne F1800-RII smoke all I have heard. Not just in power, but in detail and soundstage as well! I use a Magnepan MGCC for my center channel and just sold my Maggie 10.1 surrounds for another pair of ALIII+'s speakers for the rear channel. I use a third A760x for the rear ribbons and a 250x3 753x for the woofers in the rear and the center channel Maggie. HOLY YOU KNOW WHAT!!! When I get all these babies out of the huge great room with vaulted ceiling (which it already blows off) and in to the theater in the basement with the Elite recessed into the wall and a normal ceiling height, forget it! All of you have posts on this page or those of you considering the purchase of these speakers, forget about the one amp! Take off the binders and biamp these speakers and they will do things you won't believe! Throw in the price of these speakers and nothing else comes close! Enjoy!!!

Rating
Reviewed by:
Jim Olson(Unregistered User)
( an Audiophile)

Review Date
September 4, 1998

Overall Rating
5 of 5

Rate this review?

Review 28 of 39

Summary:
I started with a pair of ALS-III's for use as front speakers in my HT/music system. Pid about $800 each. They replaced M&K Satellites that I was very fond of for 7 years. Imaging, clarity, dynamics, etc. were excellent. I bought a second pair at $700 each for rear channels. Tremendous for use with 5.1 although I doubt too many people are using 4 Carvers for HT. BTW I use a Sonus Faber Center that matches the Carvers very well.
The power requirements were awesome. I upgraded to a Cinepro 3K6 amp with some improvement over Carver Amps (A760 and the 3 channel whose model no. ecapes me).

I installed a 20 amp dedicated circuit for my system and could really drive the
ALS-III's. Tripped the breaker once with a Telarc DTS "Big Picture" CD during the "Twister" Soundtrack. The CinePro 3K fan was in use maybe 20% of the tome. Far too often!

I found a solution taht tok the AL-III's from excellent to awesome! Audio Extreme "AudioXtrem@aol.com" (owner Rudi Blianca a well respected ribbon expert on the Speaker Builder DIY news Group)makes an active crossover that eliminates the power hungry passive crossover in the Carvers. It requires bi-amping the Carvers. The difference was quantum. With this crossover and a bi-amp configuration efficincy is advertised as at least 3 dB better. I think it was closer to 6 dB!! My amp now runs cool with little fan actuation. The bass is much much better (tighter amd more defined). The ribbons seem even more detailed. My wife, a perrenial skeptic, agrees. Rudi calims (and I believe) that a good 100 Watt per channel amp will work fine with his crossover.

The crossover costs about $350. A good 100 watt amp can be had used for less than $400. To anyone considering upgrading to a mammoth amp (as I did), consider this alternative, sonically it blows away the high power alternative. Had I known this before I upgraded my amp, I would have saved considerable money.

This was hands down the best upgrade I ever made in the Speaker dept. I would not trade the Carvers with active crossovers for any other planar speakers less than $10K. I have listened to top of the line Martin Logans, McIntintosh, and Apogees. Nothing is close.

Rating
Reviewed by:
Greg Dreyer(Unregistered User)
( an Audio Enthusiast)

Review Date
August 24, 1998

Overall Rating
5 of 5

Rate this review?

Review 29 of 39

Summary:
These speakers are simply amazing!! They will fill your room with sound and yet still provide the imaging of a pair of headphones. The distinct clarity of each new sound even at high volumes is impressive. I purchased these for myself as a graduation present and I hope to have them for a very long time. I have powered them with a Carver A500x (400 watts/channel) and this is just adequate in my opinion. The next size Carver (A760 I believe) at 600 watts per channel would probably be optimal. These speakers are power hungry. It is amazing to watch the power meter on my amp jump for those mid-range guitar and vocal hits instead of the bass drum. I highly reccomend these speakers!! I don't believe there exists a comparable speaker in this price range.

Rating
Reviewed by:
Part Pornnapa(Unregistered User)
( an Audio Enthusiast)

Review Date
July 17, 1998

Overall Rating
5 of 5

Rate this review?

Review 30 of 39

Summary:
I got my ALIII+ for about a year. I first listened to one of my old roommate who has the old Carver Amazing Loudspeaker Silver which use the same kind of ribbon driver and I was hooked. BTW, Carver discontinued that model at that time. So, I tried all other speakers in my price range < 2000 which include NHT2.5i, Defentive, B&W, Paradyne Studio Series and so much more. However, I couldn't find anything that match those AL Silver till I first audit ALIII+. I tried AL-III in one of the store around my area, but it was set up incorrectly, and it seems to be sensitive to the amp also. However the sound is very promising to me though compare to the other speaker. I'm a little bias here through my past experience with AL silver. So, I decided to order one pair in natural oak back home.
Well, the first month, I just try to move speaker around to find the best position in my room and also allow the speaker to break in a bit. It begin to sound better if you put it 2-3 feet from the back wall and at least 2 feet from the side. I tried put it farther even more than that, and the sound was improve a lot. I also tried to put it back against the wall too just to see how it would perform, but I stick to my former position anyway.
The result after fine tune is astonishing. The sound stage was so transparent, all the sound and music was so real. When I listen to classical, it seems so precise, and all the detail is there. When you listen to some blue or Jazz and close your eye, it make you feel as you really there at the same place as those musicians. The good thing about this speaker is that it fills the room with so much detail and so vast listenning area. You can almost stand at any point in the room and still here the same thing. The bass level is going down to more than acceptable level. Not as good as the old AL Silver, but good enough to rock my downstair room. (AL Silver have six 12" driver with smart design sub system). I figure out that I can buy a better subwoofer and live with it for the rest.
I probably stick with this a few more years. Only bad thing about this speaker is its heaviness. You need so much care to move it around the room. But for the price, you realy can't find any better deal.

Rating
Reviewed by:
Armel(Unregistered User)
( an Audiophile)

Review Date
June 29, 1998

Overall Rating
5 of 5

Rate this review?

Review 31 of 39

Summary:
Wow these are incredible. Is there a better pair of speakers on the market? I thought the Martin Logan CLS II z we're the ones but they have been sold. For the 1500+ range I would love to hear something better. They are much more easier to setup than the CLS II z's no 3 month moving period for perfect staging and imaging.
Proceed PAV PDSD Preamp
Mark Levinson model 39 CD
Mark Levinson 333 Amplifier
JPS Superconductor Connections

Rating
Reviewed by:
TING(Unregistered User)
( an Audiophile)

Review Date
June 17, 1998

Overall Rating
5 of 5

Rate this review?

Review 32 of 39

Summary:
I recently upgrade my CD player to Marantz CC 67. I use Carver CT26v preamp and Carver 500X power amp. The sound is simply outstanding! I like classic music. This pair of speakers have almost reproduced the entire Symphony orchestra. I can clear hear each instrument from each location so live like! Five Star!

Rating
Reviewed by:
J Salinas(Unregistered User)
( an Audio Enthusiast)

Review Date
June 7, 1998

Overall Rating
5 of 5

Rate this review?

Review 33 of 39

Summary:
Simplying amazing!!! These speakers are worth every cent. However they are power hogs. I'm currently in the market for additional power (I only have 125rms), any suggestions on a good amp?

Rating
Reviewed by:
John Anders(Unregistered User)
( an Audio Enthusiast)

Review Date
June 1, 1998

Overall Rating
5 of 5

Rate this review?

Review 34 of 39

Summary:
Carver ALS-III+ speakers are amazing! I've been hearing and feeling details in my music I'd never realized existed. I never thought I'd be able to afford a pair, but several months ago I entered Circuit City and found a display pair for sale at the unheard of price of $349 per speaker. I bought them despite the prospect of facing my wife's ire when I arrived home. Ire turned to delight as we rediscovered old musical friends. My old Carver M-200t amp made them sing and play a much sweeter song.
Luck smiled on me again this weekend. Again at Circuit City, the same salesman, an open-box Carver A-500x power amp with full warranty, now upgraded to 10 years by Carver, at a price I couldn't refuse. $399. Again, the ire was braved and conquered. ( Music has charms to sooth the savage breast.) My appreciation for the ALS-III+ speakers has increased once more with the addition of the A-500x.
The M-200t has been switched to powering my Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble system, replacing a Kenwood receiver whose protection circuitry was activated when driven hard.

I'd really been neglecting my music until my latest purchase of the Carver speakers and amp. They've rekindled my interest since I now have a "new" music collection.

Rating
Reviewed by:
Charles V(Unregistered User)
( an Audio Enthusiast)

Review Date
May 23, 1998

Overall Rating
5 of 5

Rate this review?

Review 35 of 39

Summary:
Excellent product! Perfect for every aspects. I bi-wired them with KSA-150 and CDP-XA50ES. Unbelivevable sound of highend class...
I have tried to add two subwoofer to them... with bi-amplifier. Nothing to say much... I give 10 stars out of 5!!!

TNRabbit

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Re: Carver Amazing Loudspeaker III (NOT the + model)

Post by TNRabbit » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:44 am

I've removed the passive crossovers in these speakers & converted over to an active bi-amping setup. Full details can be found in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=12067
TNRabbit

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A

Return to “Speakers”