((( Carver ECS-U Speaker Control Review)))

Signal Processor Reviews
Mr. M-500t
(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

((( Carver ECS-U Speaker Control Review)))

Post by Mr. M-500t » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:02 am

((( Carver ECS-U Speaker Control evaluation the way I hear it )))

First I would like to thank Tom from the bottom of my M-500t's for giving me the chance to listen to the sonic differences the ECS-U has to offer and for a new friend ship out here on the west coast. Chris, of whom I picked the unit up from.

I'm not much into writing reviews on products so I'll keep this short.
The way I am running it right now is as follows,
1- Bass-Q at 9:00 O'clock
2-High Frequency Trim at -0-
3-Sub Bass (Off)
4-Gundry Perspective (ON)
5-Sonic Hologram (Off)

I really like the Bass-Q adjustment. The AL-III's are tighter in the Bass at higher levels. Seems to stay the same at low levels.

The ribbons sound just fine the way they are. I see no need to use the High Frequency Trim Control. I can see where it would be useful on some other speakers.

I do not need the Sub Bass engaged cause I have my Sub Woofer. Even with my Sub turned off I had no use for this feature or more bass.

Now the Gundry Perspective feature I am going to have to play with some more. It seems to have a nice smoothing effect, if that's at all possible to obtain anymore with the AL-III's. Very subtle effect, but nice.

The Sonic Hologram is nothing special IMHO, OK.
Nothing like the C-9 or what's built into my C-16 !
I don't think it's a full Sonic Holography in this unit. ?

To sum it up, I think Tom made a very good buy compared to what they have been going for on EBay. To me though, It's just another toy that I don't think I would want to keep in my signal chain ! IMO, Less Is More.
I find the less I have in the chain the better everything sounds. Just like running a CDP strait into your amp. Crank it up.
Thank's again Tom, I'm sure you'll have a blast with this baby ! You Master Tweaker You.

Robert R
TFM-75

Re: ((( Carver ECS-U Speaker Control Review)))

Post by Robert R » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:09 pm

The sub-bass control is a wonderful addition, for me the best thing in the HCS, because there's nothing quite like it elsewhere. The other 4 actions can be achieved one way or another without it.
And if you had no use for it, I can understand, and easily see why you wouldn't want the unit. But if you listen to the stuff that I sometimes do, it's wonderful to have. I'd not part with it.

What do I have? The very thing Bob designed that circuit for, older recordings, early stereo, in which the lowest bass is rolled off due to the limitations of the electronics, microphones, and tape recorders of that era. Some of the problems may have been engineers, too - there wasn't much out in the public that would reproduce the bottom octave. Available, but not much in the field. Whatever the reason, a lot of recordings, great performances, were low-bass deprived.

The sub-bass loop is not a synthesizer of lows that are absent, but designed to boost them a bit when it finds them. It does a nice job of this, on organ and bass drum, the two lowest sources I have. Unlike a regular bass control, it doesn't raise the boomy part of the spectrum, farther up. Just the perfect answer for this type of problem, if you have it. Can make those old recordings sound 30 years younger, on the bottom at least.

Shut it off by all means on most modern full range recordings, and for material with no lows you might as well bypass the whole thing, if you don't want the Gundry or the deliberately low-effect Holography.

Robert R
"You know what folks? I'm happy."

angelod307
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by angelod307 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:08 am

most old recordings lack the bottom end to keep the grooves in vinyl small to get more music on the side of the lp. it was a marketing thing i have heard/read over the years. to get 25 or so minutes a side versus the 15 or so with full band width. also, another factor was what the music was being played back on by the masses, portable radio's, car radio's and so forth. they could not be turned up before they sounded horrible. it was not until the digital age that full bandwitdh was seen and even then there was a learning curve because of the dynamics that cd's had compared to the lp, thus the digital time lens came out. it helps alot of those early cd sound correct. for real sub bass i love the audio control epic center/phase couple activator. that really does rock and roll from the seventies and early eighties justice.
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts

Mr. M-500t

Post by Mr. M-500t » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:46 pm

I can't believe there hasn't been more reviews of this thing. :( :rolleyes:

treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

Post by treitz3 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:03 pm

Well, Ray bought mine before I had a chance to listen to it. I would say that's a good review? :-s

No doubt though, Rick. This thread has been around for a long while now...
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Mr. M-500t

Post by Mr. M-500t » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:19 pm

Well then, I think Raymond aught to give a review ! :-"

treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

Post by treitz3 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:23 pm

Isn't there another thread about this? I could have sworn /mx did a short review on this unit. :-k
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Mr. M-500t

Post by Mr. M-500t » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:26 pm

My search only brought up this one. I think your right though !

Return to “Signal Processors”