It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:55 pm

CarverAudio & TheCarverSite Reconciliation

<<

Robert R

TFM-45

Post Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:35 pm

Re: CarverAudio & TheCarverSite Reconciliation

John,

I don't feel the need for any amnesty, because I didn't do anything to warrant getting tossed, and in fact I didn't get tossed - I quit because I was getting no respect at all.

It sounds like your reasons for shutting out people are quite right. I've said it before - sometimes one has to pull a weed.

James,
I never did put up any Rich -bashing logos or slogans, though truthfully I might have, were I not such a hopeless computer retard. But in the middle of it all I was still supporting his amp designs.

But after I was free of that place I did a lot of written stuff that was deliberately nasty. I really thought I was fighting for the good of all (in both forums, BTW), including RichP, whom I'm betting will be relieved and a lot happier not have to do a job that he never really wanted, IMHO.

In a scuffle one has to use what one has, and words were my only option - utterly powerless otherwise. If I really hated the Carversite guys, I'd have just shut the hell up. But I had to wake a few of them up a bit. I hate that phrase "tough love", because from what I've seen of it it's generally an excuse for bullying. But I guess that's what I've been doing; I hope so, anyway - the love, not the bullying.

Nothing else was working. Ever since the initial forum feud I've tried, softly, to end the war. Sometimes supporting whatever site was the 'other one' to whomever I was talking with. Inviting Carversite guys (including Rich himself once, several years back) to the Fest is just one example. But softly wasn't working, not really at all. Sometimes there has to be a crisis to reshape thinking. We've certainly had that.

I'll try to get on the Carversite forum tomorrow. Can't start any more tonight - my health has not been the best. I hope I don't have to send an IP, because I haven't the slightest idea of what that is. Computer sub-retard.

RobertR
"You know what folks? I'm happy."
<<

Shortcake

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:43 pm

mbskeam wrote:oh yeah....

we like BOOBIES :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not cool Mike, some of us like dicks, which is why we are here lol. And you taking my job away from being the boobie calming soothsayer?
It is cruel, you know, that music should be so beautiful. It has the beauty of loneliness of pain: of strength and freedom. The beauty of disappointment and never-satisfied love. The cruel beauty of nature and everlasting beauty of monotony. - Benjamen Britten
<<

nooshinjohn

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:45 pm

Shortcake wrote:

Not cool Mike, some of us like dicks, which is why we are here lol. And you taking my job away from being the boobie calming soothsayer?

Sorry, but we need to go by Majority Rules... I vote Boobies!
Carver Statement Reference Monoblocks!!!The Gear... Carver "Statement" Monoblocks, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds, Dodd Audio MLP, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Peachtree I-DAC, Oppo BDP-93, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, with Sumiko BPS EVOIII, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, SimAudio moon 110lp phono preamplifier.[/size]
<<

tkd.teacher

Newbie 50+

Post Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:46 pm

Robert R wrote:
I'll try to get on the Carversite forum tomorrow. Can't start any more tonight - my health has not been the best. I hope I don't have to send an IP, because I haven't the slightest idea of what that is. Computer sub-retard.

RobertR

If you can't log in, PM what you think your password is and I'll change it for you. I think you were just in the "retired" group, I don't think you were IP banned.

John
<<

Snoop65

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:47 pm

bob p wrote:Instead of changing peoples' status back to "Insider" how about just getting rid of the entire concept of "Insiders" vs. "Outsiders" and treating everyone who uses the site with an equal standard?

X2
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

Shortcake

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:51 pm

nooshinjohn wrote:
Shortcake wrote:

Sorry, but we need to go by Majority Rules... I vote Boobies!

Where is Cheese Queen ? You know letting us females on the board gave us 75 percent of every vote taken - just because we can!

Okay, I will concede and look at the boobies you dicks post and be fine with it. Besides I still have the cat and mice thread - I will just have my fun there I guess. I will call it my own little sandbox - maybe you will want to visit there every so often????.
It is cruel, you know, that music should be so beautiful. It has the beauty of loneliness of pain: of strength and freedom. The beauty of disappointment and never-satisfied love. The cruel beauty of nature and everlasting beauty of monotony. - Benjamen Britten
<<

Snoop65

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:52 pm

This sounds good, I hope it goes smooth. This could be the largest group hug in the history of the internet. No ass grabbing though (especially you Shortcake! :D )
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

tkd.teacher

Newbie 50+

Post Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:57 pm

Shortcake wrote:
Where is Cheese Queen ? You know letting us females on the board gave us 75 percent of every vote taken - just because we can!

Okay, I will concede and look at the boobies you dicks post and be fine with it. Besides I still have the cat and mice thread - I will just have my fun there I guess. I will call it my own little sandbox - maybe you will want to visit there every so often????.

There you go.

John
<<

nooshinjohn

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:03 pm

^^^ EEEEWWWWW!!!
Carver Statement Reference Monoblocks!!!The Gear... Carver "Statement" Monoblocks, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds, Dodd Audio MLP, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Peachtree I-DAC, Oppo BDP-93, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, with Sumiko BPS EVOIII, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, SimAudio moon 110lp phono preamplifier.[/size]
<<

bob p

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:04 pm

I just got off of the phone with James. We talked for about an hour about the technical hoops that would have to be jumped through in order to implement joining the two forums and merging them into one site. It's a huge project. Although it's technically feasible, it's going to involve a huge commitment of time and resources to convert the two systems into one new system. We're talking about a minimum of hundreds of man hours to perform a complete merger. Ultimately, you have to make the decision about whether or not every post in every forum is worthy of the time and effort that would be required to port it to the new system. While I think it would be useful to preserve all of the technical information when merging the two sites, I'm not sure that it's worth spending the time to convert 5000 posts about what someone was listening to 5 years ago.

From a technical standpoint, it would involve a lot less time and effort, and it would ultimately reach the same endpoint, if the two forums were to just stop accepting new posts, and a new forum were started to carry the torch. The easiest method of doing this would be to leave both forums up in read-only mode as archives, and put up a new forum for all future read-write activity. That would be an expedient 5-minute solution to the problem, where the actual process of merging the two existing site databases into one common master database could involve hundreds of man hours. To me, that's just way too much effort for one guy to take on if he's not getting anything for his time. Given that we're talking about hobbyist sites, it's never going to be possible to recover the cost of paying someone to do the SQL programming that would be required to make the project happen. The simplest method would be to just shutter two sites and start a third one.
Carver Preamps: C-1, C-2, BillD's JVD-modded C-4000, C-9
Carver Amplifiers: BillD's C-500, M-1.5t (4) PM-1.5 (4) M-500t (2)
Repair/Restoration/Upgrade expert for all of these components.
<<

nooshinjohn

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:09 pm

bob p wrote:I just got off of the phone with James. We talked for about an hour about the technical hoops that would have to be jumped through in order to implement joining the two forums and merging them into one site. It's a huge project. Although it's technically feasible, it's going to involve a huge commitment of time and resources to convert the two systems into one new system. We're talking about a minimum of hundreds of man hours to perform a complete merger. Ultimately, you have to make the decision about whether or not every post in every forum is worthy of the time and effort that would be required to port it to the new system. While I think it would be useful to preserve all of the technical information when merging the two sites, I'm not sure that it's worth spending the time to convert 5000 posts about what someone was listening to 5 years ago.

From a technical standpoint, it would involve a lot less time and effort, and it would ultimately reach the same endpoint, if the two forums were to just stop accepting new posts, and a new forum were started to carry the torch. The easiest method of doing this would be to leave both forums up in read-only mode as archives, and put up a new forum for all future read-write activity. That would be an expedient 5-minute solution to the problem, where the actual process of merging the two existing site databases into one common master database could involve hundreds of man hours. To me, that's just way too much effort for one guy to take on if he's not getting anything for his time. Given that we're talking about hobbyist sites, it's never going to be possible to recover the cost of paying someone to do the SQL programming that would be required to make the project happen. The simplest method would be to just shutter two sites and start a third one.

Not a very elegant solution to say the least. I am willing to help put up some funds from my pocket to assist, and am willing to wade through the boards to help figure out what moves over. Maybe a new board should be set up and these be maintained as archives and imported over time moving forward...
<<

Shortcake

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:26 pm

tkd.teacher wrote:
Shortcake wrote:

There you go.

John

Thanks but not my type. Good try though. Besides it is so much more fun to get you guys all riled up over boobies...I will relinquish my request and settle. At least I can get a little appreciation when I post things like this:

justboobs692.jpg

At least I am appreciated for something...
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:33 pm

nooshinjohn wrote:
bob p wrote:I just got off of the phone with James. We talked for about an hour about the technical hoops that would have to be jumped through in order to implement joining the two forums and merging them into one site. It's a huge project. Although it's technically feasible, it's going to involve a huge commitment of time and resources to convert the two systems into one new system. We're talking about a minimum of hundreds of man hours to perform a complete merger. Ultimately, you have to make the decision about whether or not every post in every forum is worthy of the time and effort that would be required to port it to the new system. While I think it would be useful to preserve all of the technical information when merging the two sites, I'm not sure that it's worth spending the time to convert 5000 posts about what someone was listening to 5 years ago.

Not a very elegant solution to say the least. I am willing to help put up some funds from my pocket to assist, and am willing to wade through the boards to help figure out what moves over. Maybe a new board should be set up and these be maintained as archives and imported over time moving forward...

The more we dig to find a solution, the more we realize NO ONE has EVER merged 2 forums this size between MSSQL and MYSQL systems.
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:35 pm

I LOVE TITTIES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUT WRONG THREAD FOR IT

trying to be serious for a minute.
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:38 pm

Toy Maker wrote:
nooshinjohn wrote:

The more we dig to find a solution, the more we realize NO ONE has EVER merged 2 forums this size between MSSQL and MYSQL systems.

The second I thought of it, I said to myself, "I'm not shutting my forum down"
But as I thought about, it started to make more and more sense.

A clean slate, everyone is back together on the same page, and with very little work. Everyone wins, with absolutely no loss of information from either side.

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
PreviousNext

Return to (( Site & Forum Updates ))