CarverAudio & TheCarverSite Reconciliation

<<

nooshinjohn

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:39 pm

Re: CarverAudio & TheCarverSite Reconciliation

Toy Maker wrote:
nooshinjohn wrote:
bob p wrote:I just got off of the phone with James. We talked for about an hour about the technical hoops that would have to be jumped through in order to implement joining the two forums and merging them into one site. It's a huge project. Although it's technically feasible, it's going to involve a huge commitment of time and resources to convert the two systems into one new system. We're talking about a minimum of hundreds of man hours to perform a complete merger. Ultimately, you have to make the decision about whether or not every post in every forum is worthy of the time and effort that would be required to port it to the new system. While I think it would be useful to preserve all of the technical information when merging the two sites, I'm not sure that it's worth spending the time to convert 5000 posts about what someone was listening to 5 years ago.

From a technical standpoint, it would involve a lot less time and effort, and it would ultimately reach the same endpoint, if the two forums were to just stop accepting new posts, and a new forum were started to carry the torch. The easiest method of doing this would be to leave both forums up in read-only mode as archives, and put up a new forum for all future read-write activity. That would be an expedient 5-minute solution to the problem, where the actual process of merging the two existing site databases into one common master database could involve hundreds of man hours. To me, that's just way too much effort for one guy to take on if he's not getting anything for his time. Given that we're talking about hobbyist sites, it's never going to be possible to recover the cost of paying someone to do the SQL programming that would be required to make the project happen. The simplest method would be to just shutter two sites and start a third one.

Not a very elegant solution to say the least. I am willing to help put up some funds from my pocket to assist, and am willing to wade through the boards to help figure out what moves over. Maybe a new board should be set up and these be maintained as archives and imported over time moving forward...

The more we dig to find a solution, the more we realize NO ONE has EVER merged 2 forums this size between MSSQL and MYSQL systems.

Perhaps those that have duplicate threads on BOTH sites can help out a bit and identify the one they wish to keep, and the one to flush. I know that at least 30% of both sites are duplicates...
Carver Statement Reference Monoblocks!!!The Gear... Carver "Statement" Monoblocks, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds, Dodd Audio MLP, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Peachtree I-DAC, Oppo BDP-93, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, with Sumiko BPS EVOIII, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, SimAudio moon 110lp phono preamplifier.[/size]
<<

bob p

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:40 pm

Shutting down TWO forums was actually James' idea. I've got to give him credit for being so forward thinking.

> Not an elegant solution

Agreed. There's a huge difference between what is expedient and what is elegant. Expedient is something that is easy to implement, without painful costs in term of time and effort. Elegant solutions are things that typically involve a painful amount of time, effort, or expense. The problem is that solving the database problem that I discussed with James is a very complicated one to solve. Reaching the elegant solution is going to require an inordinate amount of time and effort on somebody's part, for the sole purpose of merging two hobbyist forums. From a purely cost-effective analysis, it's hard to imagine that it would be worth doing. It's not as if these forums represent some ultra-valuable mission-critical commercial enterprise, where the business enterprise itself would fail if the data conversion were not to occur successfully. After all, we're talking about hobbyist conversations, and it's probably not worth preserving threads about things like: "What are you listening to right now?"

The other problem is that you have to decide how much time, effort, and expense you're willing to commit to preserving a database that has already had it's integrity compromised. There have been thousands of posts that have been eradicated from the technical threads on the other site. Unfortunately, many of the threads are in a state where there is no integrity, no continuity, and no intelligibility in the thread because an intentional information purge took place. In many cases the technical threads make no sense because the integrity of data has already been intentionally destroyed. In the database world, we have an expression to describe the problem of trying to port data from one database system to another one, when you're starting off with a corrupted database: "You can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit."

In my opinion (just one opinion of many), damaged data isn't worth the price of data conversion. It would be very interesting if it were possible to use old backups to roll-back the database to restore the data that is missing. But somehow I doubt that posts that were deliberately purged 4-5 years ago are likely to have been preserved, such that it would be possible to restore the integrity of the databases by restoring them through backups. If restoration of the data is possible then the data is worth converting. On the other hand, if we're looking at porting the corrupted database that's in place right now, then it's hardly worth the effort.

Either way, I don't think it's worth the effort to convert all of the data. Realistically speaking, some of the old conversations aren't likely ever to be read again. The technical conversations are definitely worth preserving if you can preserve them with their full integrity, though I don't think that anyone really cares to immortalize the chit-chat that has occurred through the years. I'm thinking that somebody would have to be charged with making the decisions about what is worth porting over and what is not. I normally hate the idea of governing by committee, but maybe having a committee make decisions like this wouldn't be a bad idea.

When I was on the phone with James, we talked about 2 ends of the spectrum when it comes to the site merger. At one end of the spectrum you have the Expedient solution that we have already talked about: shutting down 2 sites, but keeping them as archives, and starting a third one. At the other end of the spectrum you have the Elegant solution: preserving everything, which is going to be very expensive in terms of labor, time, and cost. Then there are any number of solutions that fall in between the two extremes. Which is best depends upon how much effort you want to commit to the project.
Carver Preamps: C-1, C-2, BillD's JVD-modded C-4000, C-9
Carver Amplifiers: BillD's C-500, M-1.5t (4) PM-1.5 (4) M-500t (2)
Repair/Restoration/Upgrade expert for all of these components.
<<

frankieD

Frankie The Mouth

Post Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:21 pm

O.K. James, ere comes my .02

I tried to logon over there and was not able to. It didn't like my password.

I don't see any reason to merge the two sites. Why not just keep both up and let everyone in who wants in.

I'm guessing I lost my access because I didn't post much.

I never badmouthed Rich or anyone else there.

If I wanted more tech stuff I would go there and here for more fun stuff.

Why not just leave them as they are but accept the fact that some people like the tech aspects of the hobby & others like music !

After failing to get on as a member I tried as a guest....I got the same page FULL of rules/regs and titles.

That is fine if they want to go that way but I don't care for it.

As said, just my .02

P. S. I do wonder what benefit we will derive from a total merger though?
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:25 pm

frankieD wrote:P. S. I do wonder what benefit we will derive from a total merger though?

My guess would be one nice big consolidated pool of Carver info for new folks to find. A Single Point of Contact or SPOC as we call them at work... Also a bunch of Subject Matter Experts or SME's (again from work)..

But in all honesty I can see folks really only wanting to have to go to one place to access all the "good" info for Carver stuff
"You were on my Ignore List, but you are too damn entertaining, like a circus monkey, so I took you off" - H9
"We shouldn't laugh at people like you, we should pray for them. You have my prayers for a speedy rehabilitation you sad, silly little man" - Jstas
<<

nooshinjohn

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:29 pm

frankieD wrote:O.K. James, ere comes my .02

I tried to logon over there and was not able to. It didn't like my password.

I don't see any reason to merge the two sites. Why not just keep both up and let everyone in who wants in.

I'm guessing I lost my access because I didn't post much.

I never badmouthed Rich or anyone else there.

If I wanted more tech stuff I would go there and here for more fun stuff.

Why not just leave them as they are but accept the fact that some people like the tech aspects of the hobby & others like music !

After failing to get on as a member I tried as a guest....I got the same page FULL of rules/regs and titles.

That is fine if they want to go that way but I don't care for it.

As said, just my .02

P. S. I do wonder what benefit we will derive from a total merger though?

Send a PM tp TKDteacher and he will reset your password to "password" and all will be good.
Carver Statement Reference Monoblocks!!!The Gear... Carver "Statement" Monoblocks, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds, Dodd Audio MLP, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Peachtree I-DAC, Oppo BDP-93, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, with Sumiko BPS EVOIII, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, SimAudio moon 110lp phono preamplifier.[/size]
<<

fill35U

Newbie 50+

Post Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:30 pm

Shortcake wrote:
Thanks but not my type. Good try though. Besides it is so much more fun to get you guys all riled up over boobies...I will relinquish my request and settle. At least I can get a little appreciation when I post things like this:

justboobs692.jpg

At least I am appreciated for something...

I haven't been a member here long, but I vote that whatever y'all decide to do with the databases, KEEP SHORTCAKE'S POSTS! \:D/
Current setup: Random Naked Amps Piled on Floor and/or Wedged Into Shelves

Don't call amp mutilators "butchers"- butchers are highly skilled professionals.
<<

bob p

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:49 pm

This will be a long post, so here's the Executive Summary: I'm all for a merger into SPOC, and I appreciate the opportunity to go back to the other place, but I have no good reason to bother. I don't have any confidence that anything has really changed over there. I think that a lot more change is needed before any rational person would believe that the current "change" is anything other than an effort at damage control on a site that's imploding and is at an immediate risk of going under.

As far as a "short leash", I just don't want people that have an axe to grind to show up and start bashing people for no reason, attacking Rich, and just being unpleasant. If you come back, contribute, have some fun and contribute a little, we're all good. If we decide that someone needs to go, it won't be a kristallnacht kind of thing, there will be warnings and the community will know why someone was bounced.

I applaud the efforts to fix things. Seriously. With that said, I'm going to diverge from my last few posts where I talked about how much I'm willing to cooperate and contribute toward a merger. I'm serious about working in that direction, but I think that there are still some relevant concepts that need to be aired out and further negotiated before I'd be willing to consider returning to a site where I had been abused in abstentia for so many years for no valid reason.

I appreciate the concept of "amnesty", but I also think that "amnesty" is a term that is being used somewhat euphemistically. There are a lot of people who got kicked into the Sandbox when they never did anything wrong other than to disagree with a tyrant. If those people agree to go back, then they are not beneficiaries of an amnesty program. The person who is actually being granted "amnesty" is the tyrant, who is ultimately being rewarded for all of his wrongdoings (by re-population of his site) without being held accountable for any of his actions. Amnesty isn't being awarded to the political prisoners who were mistreated while they were there. I know that I'm beating a dead goat but I think it's important to assure that what's really being offered to us is bona-fide change, not some bullshit smoke and mirrors illusion of change. (edit: when I first went to commit this post I noticed that RobertR had written something very similar about the term "amnesty" being a bit of a misnomer. I guess that great minds thin alike.)

While I applaud everyone's efforts to fix things, and while I am serious about my willingness to contribute my expertise toward making a merger happen, I personally don't have any interest in going back to the other site. Yes, the door may be open, but I'm not sure that I want to go through it to access what is on the other side.

The site, in it's current embodiment, just isn't a place that I care to go. Maybe some of the guys who have been enjoying the site all along, and have just recently lost your access, will want to go back to something that you've recently enjoyed. But those of us who have been forced out for a long time don't really have anything to gain by going back. Our lives have changed in the past 4-5 years such that thecarversite.com is now totally irrelevant to us and to our lives. That place could burst into flames and we wouldn't gain or lose anything one way or the other. There isn't anything there that we're eager to go back to. The thousands of technical posts that I put into building that site have been purged by a tyrant out of sheer malice, and they are gone forever. The damage has been done, and it can't be undone.

Going one step further, while I appreciate being removed from the Sandbox, where I had been held in solitary confinement for so many years, I'm not at all impressed by the "changes" that have been offered so far. I'm going to stand fast on the outside and wait to see whether any meaningful change ends up taking place. Right now I hear that I'm being invited to come back, but at the same time I'm hearing that the prejudicial caste system is remaining in place, but that maybe it could change in a couple of weeks. I think I'll prefer to wait a couple of weeks to see whether or not any real change takes place before I even consider going over there.

I just don't have confidence in the site, because to me it looks like nothing is really changing. I see the same guy holding onto control, though now he's doing so by lurking in the shadows and retaining his status as an administrator while someone else puts a kinder, gentler face on the site as a co-administrator; this is an effort to win the hearts and minds of people who have been alienated. Even though people are having their accounts restored, I'm still hearing you say that you're refusing to permanently put away the ban-stick, and that you remain willing to beat people who step out of line if and when the group determines that the need should arise:
As far as a "short leash", I just don't want people that have an axe to grind to show up and start bashing people for no reason, attacking Rich, and just being unpleasant. If you come back, contribute, have some fun and contribute a little, we're all good. If we decide that someone needs to go, it won't be a kristallnacht kind of thing, there will be warnings and the community will know why someone was bounced.

That's removed my confidence that any real change is really going to take place. Color me skeptical, but if you guys want to make any serious inroads about convincing people that you intend to end the reign of a tyrant and free the political prisoners, then you to make some serious efforts. It's time to walk the walk instead of talking the talk. Token efforts aren't good enough.

The first thing that you need to do is to get rid of this "short leash" idea and throw away the ban-stick forever. Banning people is not something that is done on forums that are patronized by middle aged adult men. You need to stop thinking about when it's appropriate for you as a group to ban people, and come to the realization that there are many successful sites on the internet who don't ever ban users, period. Sites that are patronized by adults learn to tolerate opinions that are not widely shared, even when that opinion belongs to the one unpopular guy who doesn't agree with the consensus. You need give up on banning people. Period.

Second: need to get rid of the concept of having moderators. Moderators are unnecessary. After all, we're dealing with a community of adult men. If time has proven anything, it's that sites that appoint a group of people as moderators end up banning people. Why does this happen? It's because some moderator ends up trying to enforce his opinion on someone else who doesn't want to have someone else enforce his opinion on him. We're all adult men who don't like being dictated to about what we can do and what we can't do. Having moderators does more bad than it does good. Instead of appointing and re-appointing moderators, who condescend and tell people how it's going to be, you'd probably be better off by getting rid of your moderators. Communities of adult men don't need them. This site is a good example -- it's survived for a long time without having any power-hugry short-dicked asshole trying to enforce his will upon someone else.

Finally, you need to purge the site of it's tyrant. It's not good enough to just put a new face on the site while the same guy remains in control behind the curtains. You're not fooling anyone with this "new and improved administrative policy."

I can't speak for anyone else, but in considering whether or not I'm interested in patronizing any site, I use some common-sense criteria to gauge whether or not a site is worth patronizing. I won't participate in any site that doesn't meet these criteria, and I certainly am not likely to help to build-up a site that violates them.

Here's a short list for starters:

1. The site needs to not engage in the practice of kicking out users, deleting all of their posts, and destroying all evidence that someone existed.

2. The people who are responsible for those practices need to be permanently removed from power. It's not good enough for them to maintain their position of power from the shadows, without having to suffer any accountability for what they have done. To me, leaving them in control of a site, even if they're just standing in the shadows, amounts to providing amnesty for war criminals. These people need to accept responsibility for their actions, and the act of lurking in the shadows while you maintain silent control isn't acceptable to me. When change is needed, REAL CHANGE needs to happen.

3. The site needs to be a place that treats all users equally and fairly. It should not be a place that cultivates the feeling of superiority of a collective group of "insiders" who look down on other people as "outsiders." The site should not have power-hungry moderators or a silly member ranking system that rewards a population of yes-men and discriminates against other people based upon political views. Yes, I think that the entire concept of the cyber-medal is stupid.

4. The site needs to be friendly toward new users, who may only be interested in visiting the site one time in order to obtain technical information to fix their amp, and then move along. It is wrong to classify people who need technical information as "hit and run" users. Some people are not interested in becoming a permanent member of an online community, and it is childish to hold that against them. There is nothing wrong with a user who only wants to fix his amp and then move along to dealing with other important problems in his life. You need to stop placing unrealistic expectations upon total strangers.

In the big scheme of things, I'm more than willing to contribute in any way that I can to help to merge the two sites into one united site. But I honestly can't see any reason to go back to the other site when nothing has really changed compared to how it has been run over the past 5 years. Maybe for most of you other guys turning the clock back a month is good enough, but not for me. It's time for some real change to take place. Change for the better.
<<

Shortcake

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:03 pm

fill35U wrote:
Shortcake wrote:
Thanks but not my type. Good try though. Besides it is so much more fun to get you guys all riled up over boobies...I will relinquish my request and settle. At least I can get a little appreciation when I post things like this:

justboobs692.jpg

At least I am appreciated for something...

I haven't been a member here long, but I vote that whatever y'all decide to do with the databases, KEEP SHORTCAKE'S POSTS! \:D/

Awwww, You just became my favorite
It is cruel, you know, that music should be so beautiful. It has the beauty of loneliness of pain: of strength and freedom. The beauty of disappointment and never-satisfied love. The cruel beauty of nature and everlasting beauty of monotony. - Benjamen Britten
<<

PDR

TFM-45

Post Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:03 pm

For what its worth.....my take.

If James has offered to shelf his forum and start a new one of the two combined......then I take my hat off to him.
This was something I would of never expected, its an offer that goes above and beyond. I know what this forum means to him.

If its easier to archive the two and start a third...and really this makes the most sense....then count my vote as "in"

This would settle all of bob p concerns.....a new charter could be drawn....and something new and better could rise from the ashes.

A new forum, with new/old members starting over......cool.....very cool.
<<

Gene C

Newbie 50+

Post Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:13 pm

PDR wrote:For what its worth.....my take.

If James has offered to shelf his forum and start a new one of the two combined......then I take my hat off to him.
This was something I would of never expected, its an offer that goes above and beyond. I know what this forum means to him.

If its easier to archive the two and start a third...and really this makes the most sense....then count my vote as "in"

This would settle all of bob p concerns.....a new charter could be drawn....and something new and better could rise from the ashes.

A new forum, with new/old members starting over......cool.....very cool.

Amen! =D>
Living room...Sunfire TGP-III 11.4 setup 4 Silver Seven t's/Infinity Kappa 9A (main)/ 4 TFM-45's/ CRS3 (main) /Sunfire CRS3C (center)/Pro-Ject RPM 5.1 v2/Jolida JD-9 II /Apple TV/Wadia 171i/SD/A-490T /WA6/Infinity PS-312 sub & Sunfire Signature Sub (rear)/2 Martin Logan Dynamo 1000 watt subs (front)/AV-806X/4 Infinity C255ES bi pole speakers for sur, sur back and side axis/70" Sharp Aquos LC-70LE733U/Oppo BDP-95 Blu-ray/Douglas Interconnects & 9ga speaker cable.

Garage... CT-17/M-0.5t/TFM-15cb/AV-64/AudioSource EQ Eight Series II 4 Infinity micro sl speakers/2 Martin Logan Motion 4/Infinity Entra 12" Sub.
<<

Shortcake

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:15 pm

I am not a member of the other site. You all know I am less technical than I am brainy, and apparently, that says it all, but why not just "link" the two forums together - rather than shut down and make new.

It has been my experience - yes I have experience in some things and am a member of other forums (shocking, I know) - that when merging forums, the change is too much. those that want one thing and one thing only get annoyed at the play and those that want both play and some good old fashioned audio chat or bull shit chat or fussing and feuding in the same place don't know how to keep the threads clean - proof in the thread right here - guilty as charged.

So why not link the two sites, if one wants to "go to" the threads on the other site, they click the thread link that takes them there, and if one wants to play, they simply do the same.

Everything stays intact, if one joins one site, their sign ons are mirrored on the other and they have the option of participating in serious tech discussion - or they can come here and talk boobies all day without everyone getting pissed off about the fact that there are some with no other reason for being here other than some good old conversation about shit - namely me.

Just an opinion, and I know it may mean nothing, but I figured I would put it out there.

(Any sarcasm is a venting from a bad day elsewhere - I am about to have a Harry moment, not here, but a Harry moment just the same because some fucking fucks fucking pissed me off.)
It is cruel, you know, that music should be so beautiful. It has the beauty of loneliness of pain: of strength and freedom. The beauty of disappointment and never-satisfied love. The cruel beauty of nature and everlasting beauty of monotony. - Benjamen Britten
<<

bob p

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:20 pm

I think you're saying that you favor the Elegant Solution over the Expedient Solution. We'd all favor the Elegant Solution. It's just that the Elegant Solution is so difficult to implement, and the Expedient Solution is so easy to implement, that the constraints of time, money and effort favor the Expedient Solution.
<<

Shortcake

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:31 pm

bob p wrote:I think you're saying that you favor the Elegant Solution over the Expedient Solution. We'd all favor the Elegant Solution. It's just that the Elegant Solution is so difficult to implement, and the Expedient Solution is so easy to implement, that the constraints of time, money and effort favor the Expedient Solution.

So no way of adding a "index page" to both sites to work as a window link to the other? Click the title and be directed to the other site?

kind of like a button on a web page that takes you to a pay here site?

A redirect button from this forum to that and vice versa using html code?
<<

Gene C

Newbie 50+

Post Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:38 pm

Shortcake wrote:I am not a member of the other site. You all know I am less technical than I am brainy, and apparently, that says it all, but why not just "link" the two forums together - rather than shut down and make new.

It has been my experience - yes I have experience in some things and am a member of other forums (shocking, I know) - that when merging forums, the change is too much. those that want one thing and one thing only get annoyed at the play and those that want both play and some good old fashioned audio chat or bull shit chat or fussing and feuding in the same place don't know how to keep the threads clean - proof in the thread right here - guilty as charged.

So why not link the two sites, if one wants to "go to" the threads on the other site, they click the thread link that takes them there, and if one wants to play, they simply do the same.

Everything stays intact, if one joins one site, their sign ons are mirrored on the other and they have the option of participating in serious tech discussion - or they can come here and talk boobies all day without everyone getting pissed off about the fact that there are some with no other reason for being here other than some good old conversation about shit - namely me.

Just an opinion, and I know it may mean nothing, but I figured I would put it out there.

(Any sarcasm is a venting from a bad day elsewhere - I am about to have a Harry moment, not here, but a Harry moment just the same because some fucking fucks fucking pissed me off.)

Yes, spot on. That Idea was discussed on Monday between a few that knew. Each to their own but no walls or fences in between. The Two sites could coexist for most all but the few. Only the higher up's will know what's best.
Living room...Sunfire TGP-III 11.4 setup 4 Silver Seven t's/Infinity Kappa 9A (main)/ 4 TFM-45's/ CRS3 (main) /Sunfire CRS3C (center)/Pro-Ject RPM 5.1 v2/Jolida JD-9 II /Apple TV/Wadia 171i/SD/A-490T /WA6/Infinity PS-312 sub & Sunfire Signature Sub (rear)/2 Martin Logan Dynamo 1000 watt subs (front)/AV-806X/4 Infinity C255ES bi pole speakers for sur, sur back and side axis/70" Sharp Aquos LC-70LE733U/Oppo BDP-95 Blu-ray/Douglas Interconnects & 9ga speaker cable.

Garage... CT-17/M-0.5t/TFM-15cb/AV-64/AudioSource EQ Eight Series II 4 Infinity micro sl speakers/2 Martin Logan Motion 4/Infinity Entra 12" Sub.
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:49 pm

Jesus Bob... How do you even type that fast, shit.

Relax, and let's see what kind of plan we can come up with.
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮

PreviousNext

Return to (( Site & Forum Updates ))